Darksiders!

Sedako

Chuck Steak
Reaction score
Alright, so I knew about this game a while back and dismissed it as a generic GoW clone. It's looks like I may have been wrong about that assessment, as it's more like GoW meets Zelda. From what I gather, there are lengthy dungeons, combat is deep and varies greatly depending on how you equip your character, and there are plenty of puzzles to solve. Mark Hamill is also voicing a prominent character, which makes it even better. It will be released Jan 5th, which is awesome, considering I didn't really know much about it until today. Here are some vids, with obvious spoilers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-hd-darksiders/59081

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ir-hL6akWY&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op1VX3MIIj8&feature=related

I was pretty sure that I was going to get this before, but not anymore. I'll probably end up getting it eventually.

Ummm....it might just be me but it DOES look like a generic GOW clone. And we've already got bayonetta, GOW3 AND dante's inferno coming :|

Believe me, if you look more into this game, you'll see that it's much more like LoZ. Watch some gameplay trailers or read some interviews; you'll see.

Isn't that the Twilight Cathedral? I've heard that it's supposed to be one of the more puzzle-heavy dungeons in the game. Hopefully that doesn't mean that the other dungeons are less centered towards puzzles.

Joe Mad made a joke that Battle Chasers #10 is hidden throughout the game, which, if that were the truth, would be the only thing that'd get me to buy this.

Joe Mad made a joke that Battle Chasers #10 is hidden throughout the game, which, if that were the truth, would be the only thing that'd get me to buy this.

How could you not buy a game named after you?

I'm on the fence on whether I'm going to buy this. It's either Darksiders or Dark Void, I can't decide.

All the magazine reviews have been quite positive so far, with an average score of around 9/10. Previews have also been positive, especially this one by a GAF poster:

The game has proven more of a challenge than I'd expected it. I was dying quite frequently in the second and third demos (the third one, I was told, was quite early on in the game). I'm very happy with the challenge, although some of it seemed to derive from excessively high HP on enemies. There are difficulty levels though, I think, if you don't enjoy that.

The dungeon in the third demo was fantastic. The design itself wasn't particularly noteworthy; there was a lot of running down a corridor for something, turning around, and going back. But there were loads of puzzles, and even boss and mini-boss fights prove to be a puzzle. It was large, too. I ended up spending probably 2 hours in that dungeon

The art is fantastic. Despite the over-the-top epic scale of everything it has very vibrant, rich colors. The environments vary from sparse and empty to pretty good looking, so far as I've seen. It never seems like it detracts from anything even in the emptier spots, though.

There is a shitload to do. Loads to collect, loads of weapons or methods of attack, loads of upgrades. They said it averages at about 25-30 hours and while I'm sure the rule of exaggeration always applies... I'm almost willing to believe them, based on the great dungeon I explored and the incredible amount of content.

The voices are fantastic. But you should already know that.

Principal complaints I had (besides the ocassional odd bug):
+ Lots of things are meant to be interacted with in the environment, but don't stick out at all, which led me and others to sometimes wandering lost until noticing it. Perhaps the eye will be accustomed to these things as the gameplay continues, but I wasn't so sure.
+ Controls are slightly "off". I and the guy next to me seemed to die a lot by falling lava, because we ended up walking into it instead of jumping. It can be accustomed to, but shouldn't have to be.
+ Too easily swarmed. In the second demo especially, enemies were crawling up the cliffside behind you whilst you were meant to be wielding a gun which makes turning around very impractical.

On the whole... I ****ing loved it. Definitely lives up to my expectation of a God of Zelda game. My time with the game has confirmed the day one purchase.

It's looking like this game is really something special. Probably going to pick this one up over Bayonetta.

This thread makes me think of THE FIRST RULE OF DARKSIDE55 CLUB IS YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT DARKSIDE55 CLUB

I refuse to believe in the lack of interest in this game! It's unfortunate that there won't be a demo, because the marketing for this game is nearly nonexistent...

I don't know why, but I can't read "Darksiders" without hearing it in the way they said "Sliders" on the TV show....bah!

How disappointing, LoZ: God of Portals is getting good reviews. (Even if the highest is from IGNorant) It was my sincerest wish that the game would be a massive flop--although there's still the possibility it will be financially--and Joe Mad will stop this video game nonsense and GO BACK TO WORK ON BATTLE CHASERS. Or at least make a goddamn Battle Chasers video game; what the hell is wrong with you, Mad!? I have so many questions that need answers. So many. :(

How disappointing, LoZ: God of Portals is getting good reviews. (Even if the highest is from IGNorant) It was my sincerest wish that the game would be a massive flop--although there's still the possibility it will be financially--and Joe Mad will stop this video game nonsense and GO BACK TO WORK ON BATTLE CHASERS. Or at least make a goddamn Battle Chasers video game; what the hell is wrong with you, Mad!? I have so many questions that need answers. So many. :(

You never know....*whispers*it may be good :O

then again it is pretty much guaranteed that this game will TANK in sales. Same day as bayonetta, just after xmas, crowded Q1 and zero marketing (not even a demo? srsly?). It will flop :|

It's looking like this game has tearing issues on the Xbox 360, and no issues on the PS3. Of course, that's something that can be easily fixed with a patch. I've been checking local stores to see if any have broken the street date. I must have this game!

I'm going to have to resist buying this for a while, since I already have my hands full with Okami and Mass Effect at the moment.

Handson impressions on a few gaming forums have been surprisingly very good. I didn't expect much from early footage, but it descriptions of an HD Zelda meets GoW can't be a bad thing.

I really want this and Bayonetta, as they are my favorite genres but I still have this to play through:

- Assassins Creed II
- Halo ODST
- Xmen Wolverine
- Battlefield:BC

Too many games, dammit. I need more time!
-

Ok, so I picked this up earlier and have just made it to the first dungeon on the hardest setting in about 2-2.5 hours. The game has been surprisingly cinematic and atmospheric so far, both in game and out. Joe Mad's art works considerably well here, and the game looks fantastic despite not being as technically impressive as others in recent years. Combat-wise it starts out pretty slow, and most enemies can be dispatched with relative ease. I had a bit of trouble with a mini-boss, who had a large attack range and could kill me in 3-4 hits. As you progress you can purchase all sorts of upgrades and equipment, though not nearly to the extent of DMC. So far it's been mostly combat based with some exploration, though expect that to change now that I've reached the first dungeon. I'm quite enjoying it so far and can't wait to play some more after work.

Which one do you prefer, Darksiders or Bayonetta?

I've only played the Bayonetta demo, which was fun but it didn't really hold my attention. I've always preferred God of War to DMC anyways, and Bayonetta is a lot like DMC. Darksiders is closer to Zelda or even Soul Reaver with more emphasis on combat.

Soul Reaver? Really?

Dammit, you're going to make me have to pick this game up ASAP. Don't you dare do this to me, don't you dare!

As I was reading this thread I saw a Darksiders commercial on tv. I guess they are advertising.

Having made it through the first dungeon, I would now say that the first 2-2.5 hours are not indicative of the game at all, and it's more like a lengthy tutorial. The dungeon was nothing short of excellent, with some really challenging battles. I also love some of the events that happen as you're progressing, such as..

..the armored eagle that you ride in on battling with Tiamat in throughout certain rooms of the Twilight Cathedral as you progress though it.

The attention to detail is great.

Back