Dead Island gameplay video

It does look good, but the characters look like shit. Seriously, there's absolutely no animation in their faces other than a random jolt of their head or their lips moving. Sure, that's not the whole part of the game, but it really distracted/annoyed me instantly..... My gosh.. That nun was just awful. Oh and the voice actors are pretty shit too from the sounds of it.

I'll still buy this game instantly.

I think I liked it better when it was in slow motion and reversed...

Looks like a little too much like "Dancing with the Zombies" to me. I dunno though... I don't know how much you can improve on the zombie survival concept these days.

Why is Australia so bad about gorey games? You'd think a country founded by criminals would be cool with zombie death.

I got to agree with one of the commentators on there. Looking very stiff and unnatural. They will definitely have to redo the characters animations. The combat in general appears to be slow paced and clunky. I expected it be faster paced and arcadey. I guess, they're goin for "realism".

Looks dull. Zombie survival stuff has been mined out already - and this game apparently takes place entirely in day-time...

The combat in general appears to be slow paced and clunky. I expected it be faster paced and arcadey. I guess, they're goin for "realism".

That's the problem I have with it. If it was arcade gameplay, mowing down hundreds of zombies with your machinegun like in Left 4 Dead, I probably would've liked it. As it is I'm not sure. I'll probably check it out anyway though.

Why is Australia so bad about gorey games? You'd think a country founded by criminals would be cool with zombie death.

We're not bad about it, just that our politicians are...

That's the problem I have with it. If it was arcade gameplay, mowing down hundreds of zombies with your machinegun like in Left 4 Dead, I probably would've liked it. As it is I'm not sure. I'll probably check it out anyway though.

Yeah, i expected to see a cross between Crysis and Left4Dead with lots of customization and a light RPG system. This looks more like a mix of Far Cry 2, Borderlands and STALKER.
I liked STALKER for its aesthetics. That's about it though. I did not particularly enjoy either one of those games.

The video only wanted to load halfway for me, but from what I saw it seemed... okay. I like that it's a first person open-world game that isn't Elder Scrolls or Fallout, and that it has some sense of immediacy, but the combat doesn't seem kinetic or tactile enough to carry it. Gives me the same feeling as Dead Rising 2 - like you're just popping pinatas full of red pudding. Meh.

Dead Rising 2 meets Far Cry.

Looks great apart from the awkward looking combat and animations.

The combat in general appears to be slow paced and clunky. I expected it be faster paced and arcadey. I guess, they're goin for "realism".

Oh, you mean like every single ****ing zombie game out right now? No thanks :|

So far the combat aspect of the game looks fantastic. It's reminding me a lot of Zeno Clash. I remember everyone dissing the gameplay videos of Zeno Clash before it came out, but it ended up being one of the most addicting, fun, and challenging combat systems I have ever played.
Not sure about the rest of the game, a lot of it looks really unfinished. Kind of annoyed that they didn't explain what would happen if you helped that one stranded woman. I would like to know if there are consequences with helping people or it's just some woman who is going to give you a lame quest and then run away after you complete it. Also I was hoping to see some mechanics involving shelter. Would have been interesting if you had to find and board up shelter when dusk came or something.

Also, they need to ditch the character comments or reduce them to like one in every twenty. The whole "we are going to have her say things when she kills zombies, in the beginning she will sound scared but later on she will sound confident" is just ****ing annoying. I do not want to hear my character repeat the same six lines after killing each zombie.

Oh, you mean like every single ****ing zombie game out right now? No thanks :|.

We want completely different things. You want a zombie survival game, and I want a zombie action game (yeah like every zombie game out there). If it turns out to be what you want, then fine, I still have Left 4 Dead for my arcade zombie action needs.

might get it just for the coop. there's no story, and all side characters look boring.

I'd love a hardcore mode. No HUD, craftable weapons, degrading weapons, maybe some stealth implentation (zombies not automatically knowing where you are).

Oh, you mean like every single ****ing zombie game out right now? No thanks :|

So far the combat aspect of the game looks fantastic. It's reminding me a lot of Zeno Clash. I remember everyone dissing the gameplay videos of Zeno Clash before it came out, but it ended up being one of the most addicting, fun, and challenging combat systems I have ever played.

Really? Zeno Clash, you say? Wow! It should sell like hotcakes then.

I'm with ZT, I would want this over another generic, mindless arcade game. I like that it has craftable weapons, locational damage that actually matters, etc. It give me a kind of Far Cry 2 vibe, both the good and the bad aspects of it. The open world, the driving, fighting, the way the characters move while talking (in that they don't), the bad voice acting, all of it. The whole feel to it seemed to be Far Cry 2 with zombies, on a better looking location. In addition to the bad voice acting and poor animation, I hate that it has numbers and shit pop up on screen when you hit somebody, and how it pops up your "score." Uhg I hate it when games do that.

This just looks... boring I'm afraid. Looks like they have taken a bunch of ideas from L4D, made it open world and stuck in some bad animations and mod quality weapons.

Really not impressed.

It's nice that they're finally releasing media for this, followed it from it's announcement.

The media blackout was far too long, they shouldn't have announced it as early as they did.

This just looks... boring I'm afraid. Looks like they have taken a bunch of ideas from L4D, made it open world and stuck in some bad animations and mod quality weapons.

Really not impressed.

Yep. It looks like it may well suffer the same problem many sandbox games do - poor pacing, lack of excitement.

Yep. It looks like it may well suffer the same problem many sandbox games do - poor pacing, lack of excitement.

That's why I couldn't finish Just cause 2. I got bored, and just couldn't be bothered to play anymore.

I think it looks amazing. The graphical detail is the landscapes and models, including the animations and gore effects are just superb, the combat does seem a tad clunky at the moment but when you cutting zombies to pieces then I doubt it will be as much as a hindrance. I really don't know how people can look at that and say its 'okay', I think some people just don't know what a good game is anymore because they are just far too critical of everything. I mean I won't stand up and say the final product is going to be amazing, I thought the same about Far Cry 2 and I found it incredibly boring, but I just wish people would stop acting game critics on here.

I really don't know how people can look at that and say its 'okay', I think some people just don't know what a good game is anymore because they are just far too critical of everything.

I on the other hand think you're easy to please. The character design, weapon models, and animations are leaps and bounds better in Left 4 Dead compared to this. As for the environment, the tropical island setting has been done before and better. So yeah, I think I'll stick to calling it just "OK". I simply don't find anything amazing or extraordinary about it from any standpoint.

I just wish people would stop acting game critics on here.

Not going to happen. Especially since some of us work in the game industry, plus we know exactly what we want in a game.

Looks decent to me. For a long time i've wanted a large scale zombie game - travel around, do your own thing, make your own story etc. This doesn't look like the ultimate zombie surivial horror many of us want, but it's alot closer to that than L4D and Dead Rising (both of which I love for differing reasons).

Looks decent but it is not something I am going to purchase (not going to pirate it either.)

I really don't know how people can look at that and say its 'okay', I think some people just don't know what a good game is anymore because they are just far too critical of everything.

Or maybe we just have higher standards.

(Which isn't the same thing as having "better" standards, before I'm accused of snobbery.

attachment.php
)

I think a game that doesn't do anything original, and doesn't execute their unoriginal features in a superior manner constitutes an "okay" game. Give me a unique concept (like portal) or a rehashed concept that is superbly executed (like portal 2) and I'll consider it more than an okay game.

Looks decent to me. For a long time i've wanted a large scale zombie game - travel around, do your own thing, make your own story etc. This doesn't look like the ultimate zombie surivial horror many of us want, but it's alot closer to that than L4D and Dead Rising (both of which I love for differing reasons).

http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/

Check it out, excellent freeware open-ended zombie survival RPG.

Or maybe we just have higher standards.

(Which isn't the same thing as having "better" standards, before I'm accused of snobbery.

I also have high standards with games, I mean I've played that many of them, but I think this game looks like a lot of fun which is really the main focus of games. Yes the concept has been done before, and yes Left 4 Dead is obviously going to be better, but just because there are better games it doesn't mean this one can't be good either. Normally I wouldn't post about it, because its everyones own opinion at the end of the day, but I was just annoyed because I saw the video and was generally excited by what I saw until I read through all the comments on here of people saying it looks rubbish, which just distorted my original view of it.

I mean bloody hell, not every game needs to be a masterpiece guys, what happened to games just being about having fun?

I think not looking like it's any fun is exactly what people are accusing it of.

Well you are going to be dissapointed for a long time then, because I really doubt there are going to be many games from this point onwards that are going to catch your attention. Most of the best concepts have been run dry, and game quality has been a steady decline for a long time now which why I adopted a more casual approach to them. If you lot want to sit there and slag off practically every game that becomes available then be my guest, just makes me laugh when many people on here have a go at Yahtzee for never finding a game that meets his high expectations when most people on here are no better than him.

And no one has even mentioned that it doesn't look like any fun, the comments have been about how the concept is old, and how the character animations are rubbish. So in a game that shows zombies being cut to pieces in glorious fashion in a beautiful environment, that is no longer fun because the characters animations aren't up to scratch, and the concept has already been done? I have no recollection of seeing any game like Dead Island before, or none that have caught my attention anyway, the only other one I can think of is Left 4 Dead, which is a face paced arcade style zombie shooter in dank, suburban or forest like areas, which is nothing like what I saw on that video.

And no one has even mentioned that it doesn't look like any fun, the comments have been about how the concept is old, and how the character animations are rubbish.

Actually some of us said it looks like it'll boring, dull and to be lacking excitement or pacing.

Back