Dealing with Main Characters Dying

dfsilent

Reaction score
I was thinking (quite rare) about Half life 1 when it hit me that the main characters such as Barney and the Scientists could die and another one would appear later in the game. Barney died a couple times when I played, and it didn't affect the story that much, but what about Half life 2? The characters are more dynamic and serve an individual purpose in this game. What happens when Barney dies in a firefight? Will he disappear throughout the whole game? Is it impossible for him to die? Will another Barney appear as in the old half life? This question pertains more to Alyx than anyone else I think... What if she died? What would happen? I'm curious what you guys think or actually know, because I would like to play the game with no characters dying... If they died and never came back, I'd just as well restart before they died. See what I mean?

Barney and the Scientists werent really too important in Half-Life 1 beside some Door-Opening occasions.

I think their equivalent in HL2 are the Freedom-Fighters. If Barney or some other Story-important Character dies in a Fight - i would guess the "mission failed" :).

Remember right before going to Xen, when you had to protect the scientist while he is openeing the portal? If he dies it starts you over..I bet it's exactly the same. If (s)he is important, they make you protect them.

Reply:

I always did feel bad when Barney took a bullet for me...well not really, most of the time I just pushed him in front of me. :eek:

Heh i really felt and cared for barney in HL1 , guess i'll do the same in HL2 since they've added more than enough realism and belief in the characters..

I think the idea in hl1 was that they were different people who just happened to look exactly the same. So if a barney died the barney you met later wasn't the same one.
IIRC valve have stated there won't be the same army of clones in hl2 and each character will be different.

Originally posted by Ghost Freeman
If Alyx dies I will cry for hours.

I can care less about the rest.

First chance i get im gonna shoot that bitch in the face. Its her fault HL2 was delayed. She was on her period.

Originally posted by 82ross
First chance i get im gonna shoot that bitch in the face. Its her fault HL2 was delayed. She was on her period.

NO! DONT DO IT!! ;(

OMG! I'm laughing so hard people are asking if I am ok!

LOL!

Haha. I love shooting teammates/civilians. Now if only Half Life 2 had as much gore as Soldier of Fortune 2... becuase hl2 gore is pretty weak, just blobs of blood when you shoot them, maybe a rib here and a skullhead there, that's it.

EDIT: can't wait to see the nude skin for Alyx.

i forgot to look on the e3 vid and its deleted but does the AI reload when they are shooting at the strider or did anyone count how many bullets they used?

i hate it when i have to reload, but AI has UNLIMITED bullets and no clips, and i hope in hl2 that barney and friends dont have unlimited ammo in a never ending clip :/

Originally posted by poseyjmac
i forgot to look on the e3 vid and its deleted but does the AI reload when they are shooting at the strider or did anyone count how many bullets they used?

i hate it when i have to reload, but AI has UNLIMITED bullets and no clips, and i hope in hl2 that barney and friends dont have unlimited ammo in a never ending clip :/

Your getting very picky now :cheese:

Re: Reply:

Originally posted by Jabrim
I always did feel bad when Barney took a bullet for me...well not really, most of the time I just pushed him in front of me. :eek:

Heh, I always crowbarred the bastard and took his ammo.

Check the Valve info thread

ALyx will shoot you back if shot. Something nasty happens if you shoot the G-man.

Otherwise expect characters like Barney in the barricade vid to be 'protected' by the AI not shooting them much.

i want to see DOG´s reaction to me shooting it.Nasty

ROFL hl2 barney looks like Robert Downey Jr.

The only main character who is going to die is the G-man after i shoot him in the head for causing the BM incedent.....or at least he's somehow responsible for it.
Actually there is one other person who will die a lot... Gordon Freeman, unless, of course your a master gamer or cheat.

now I want to shoot Barney and Alyx just to see what will happen

Edit: Better yet, bash them with my crowbar :cheers:

LMAO, Barney does look like Robert Downey Jr. and he also looks majorly stoned, which are two characteristics that certainly aren't mutually exclusive. I think that as video game characters get more realistic, they will be more fun to kill because its almost like killing a real person, except you can do it over and over again. HAHAHAHA

Real people suck, you kill em once and thats it.

LMAO, Barney does look like Robert Downey Jr. and he also looks majorly stoned, which are two characteristics that certainly aren't mutually exclusive. I think that as video game characters get more realistic, they will be more fun to kill because its almost like killing a real person, except you can do it over and over again. HAHAHAHA

Real people suck, you kill em once and thats it.

You frighten me. I'll be sure to inform the police that you could someday be on their "most wanted" list.

hmmm good question about barney appearing, cause people actually know his last name in hl2!

i would assume valve figured it out tho

i like the way call of duty deals with it.
you shoot your squad members and they just fall over and die, but then more come out of the last zone you were in, say out of the building you came from, and there's one guy (the squad leader) that you can't kill no matter how many times you shoot him

realistic? no
good? yes.

you know what would be cool? If you teamate dies, then all of the sudden a whole bunch of aliens and combine show up unexpectatley, and your put into a battle you cant win. a little more interesting than "mission failed" dont you think?

why cant people realize that, not only is alyx FAKE

but she is also UGLY

my god

ymgve, what do you mean? it wasn't that bad in MGS2. Besides, you never even had someone else with you until the very end.

Theotherguy, maybe more interesting, but not very realistic, even for Half-Life. There are guidelines, and having a bunch of aliens appear because you shot a teammate isn't logical. If anything, they should help you. "Mission Failed" is good enough.

Back