Detailed Apartment Building

v1p3r:
I just wish there was a way to copy the existing HL2 models and rename them so people would not have to replace their own models/textures to use this map. I could easily rename the models, rename the textures, and place them in a map-specific folder, but the model would still look for its pre-defined texture.

Also, hats off for finding another "legit" use for bit torrent ;)

-Crispy-:
Sure, I charge about $150 an hour. :)

Hehe... he said bone.

The bathroom is one of the few rooms that I don't expect will be used all that much during performance. It will generally be a "off stage" room for the actors to go into when leaving the stage. Most of the detail in the bathroom will only be seen from outside its door. Though the possibility of scenes taking place in the bathroom does exist, but I doubt we would be able to take advantage of a fully articulate shower curtain.

From the news on the front page regarding updates:

Added bspzip tool -- allows you to compile custom content directly into a .bsp

Sounds good to me :)

Apparently it doesn't work with soundscapes though so if you use any you'll have to include those seperatly :(

i think bspzip is going to be a huge help to mappers who really like to get detailed like yourself.

Do you think it would be able to detect that I have changed the skin files for existing hl2/cs models and include those as well?

So far that is an amazing map, and it better come out for cs:s later :p

Excellent work! Great attention to detail, especially.

Could anybody tell me what music he used as background music in his video tour of the appartements?

I liked the music alot.

your video walk through makes me sad to be a mapper, i just lost all confidence.. lol. that is the most detail i have ever seen in a game.

Dude, if you release this for DM, which I know you probably won't because its for a machinima... but if you did, you would be g0d... I mean, Valve would probably make it official, and, it would pwn... =P

Either way, AMAZING work man!

Most amazing map I have ever seen. Extremely well detailed, I love the jet in the sky on the first pic (does it actually fly or just stay there?). Fkin awsome. Good job.

It flies, watch the video walk through, it will stun you even more..

its a jaw dropper... that must have tooken you a long time and your not even done

AAAHH!! He even put a freakin plane in the sky!
*Faints*

Sorry if this has been asked/answered but, how long approx did it take you to make the map so far? It's excellent (love the plane!)

Right now it's about 3 months worth of work by one person. But much of that time was spent playing with the new features of Source, and getting a taste for hammer again.

@first post: nice pics, cant wait to see what the map looks like in game :D

ok i know this has been said lots but WOW that was fecking awsome, again for about 4-10 seconds i thought the first picture was a reference :O i love it :p you have to give us the bsp just to play with :D Pretty Please?

One of the best bits of mapping that I've ever seen.
Brilliant work, so far.
Keep it up.

Just a quick response to lighting issues, there is a long standing tradition in film and CG work of cheating with lighting. Light is truly your medium for CG, film, and photography, and in a 3D world you have complete control over it, so use it. Basically what I'm trying to say is you don't have to be restricted by reality, doubly so when you are making static shots.

How were the moving clouds and plane done? I'm guessing env_sprites...?

Mess said:
How were the moving clouds and plane done? I'm guessing env_sprites...?

For the moving plane I believe he said it's just a texture. I might be wrong though.

Cunbelin said:
Just a quick response to lighting issues, there is a long standing tradition in film and CG work of cheating with lighting. Light is truly your medium for CG, film, and photography, and in a 3D world you have complete control over it, so use it. Basically what I'm trying to say is you don't have to be restricted by reality, doubly so when you are making static shots.
Exactly

rarely are things on TV or movies lit accurately or realistically. The perfect example is space shots, to light a ship in deep space realistically would end up with pretty much nothing visible but background stars. So creative use of lights is pretty much essential to get mood and good scenes across.

Back