Did HL2 feel like a new game rather than a Sequel to you?

Mechagodzilla said:
The combine civil protection force is on full alert searching for you. You leave the city to wait for the heat to die down.

They went on red alert the moment Breen identified you. Yet, you went straight to Eli's place, with the Combine on your tail. And when you finally get there, you're supposed to get out of the city.

Also, later, the only reason you can "walk straight into the citadel" is because you destroyed it's defenses. The supression feild, the striders. Without the general chaos, it would have been impossible to just walk in with a handgun.

And how do you get there eventually? Dog just lifts a part of the wall and you jump into a hole. It seems like something that they could have done at any moment. Quite an anticlimax.

Actually, no you couldn't. The entire roof was caving in. right after Alyx leaves, even more rocks fall down. A few sections of rock and cement each the size of a large truck were too much for dog to lift, and were certainly too much for gordon to use the manipulator on, since it has trouble just moving a small sedan. Also, since the area was obviously crumbling, it would not have been safe to stay and move each individual rock. And since dog was needed elsewheres, to protect Eli and Alyx, it would have been a waste of time for him to dig when he could just go through the alternate route.

If Dog's going through an alternate route, there's no reason why Gordon couldn't follow. Sending him to Ravenholm is far, far more dangerous than having him there, with a few bits of rock falling from the ceiling. Besides, when I first played the that sequence, I ran after Alyx and suddenly bumped into an invisible wall - what the hell? Then the rocks fell, right where the invisible wall was. If that isn't an artificial reason to send Gordon to Ravenholm, I don't know what is.

She told dog to go through the alternate route, so why didn't Gordon follow? Because the only other route was to climb up the huge cliff walls of the scrapyard. Gordon obviously couldn't follow. His only way out was through Ravenholm.

There were plenty of routes inside.

subtlesnake said:
I'm not allowed to ask questions. It's like waking up one day in a virtual reality world and discovering the creator has stopped you from speaking.

Well isn't that realistic and believable.

There are limitations because I'm controlling someone in a different universe. I get to step into Gordon's shoes for a little while, but of course there are restrictions.

Someone? You're not controlling yourself anymore?

Gordon is an empty vessel.

He has a name, a history and people hold certain opinions about him.

Spartan That scene bothered me. Alyx just remarks "oh noes poor people" and then pays no further attention to them. She doesn't even ponder the option of freeing everyone. Cold hearted bitch. [/QUOTE said:
Those poor people she was talking about had already been transformed into stalkers. They pretty much werent human any more, and chances are they probably hold thei allegieances to the combine over humans.

Death.Trap said:
Those poor people she was talking about had already been transformed into stalkers. They pretty much werent human any more, and chances are they probably hold thei allegieances to the combine over humans.

Where is that revealed? They looked completely normal through the display, like Eli.

Spartan said:
Where is that revealed? They looked completely normal through the display, like Eli.

You see a stalker on a security camera, in one of those pods.

Spartan said:
So? The people who were with Eli were normal.

Well, it's not hard to conclude that those people will be turned into stalkers. You see trains running to and from Nova Porspekt and the Citadel, and there are loads of stalkers at the citadel. I know it's not much evidence to go on, but it makes sense. What else is Nova Prospekt gonna be used for, except for turning people into Stalkers and combine soldiers?

Well isn't that realistic and believable.
I don't see why not.

Someone? You're not controlling yourself anymore?
I step into Gordons shoes and become Gordon for the duration of the experience. I'm still technically controlling him, though.

He has a name, a history and people hold certain opinions about him.
He has a place but not an identity.

Edit: to clear up any confusion when I said character I meant personality.

KagePrototype said:
Well, it's not hard to conclude that those people will be turned into stalkers. You see trains running to and from Nova Porspekt and the Citadel, and there are loads of stalkers at the citadel.

If they are going to converted in the future, why can't they be saved now? Eli was among them, so logically they shouldn't have saved him either.

Spartan said:
If they are going to converted in the future, why can't they be saved now? Eli was among them, so logically they shouldn't have saved him either.

I don't know, why are you asking me? :|

subtlesnake said:
I don't see why not.

You don't see why it's unrealistic and laughable that some God somewhere decides that you can't speak, but none of the other characters notice this?

He has a place but not an identity.

He has enough of an identity.

The clues are there. Find them. The whole story explaining everything thats going on is there. I can't think of a single part where I didn't know why I was doing what I was doing.

ktimekiller said:
maybe is because you dont understand the story?

Thats what i thought. Im so sick of these threads. Whatever. :/

StAtiC said:
The clues are there. Find them. The whole story explaining everything thats going on is there. I can't think of a single part where I didn't know why I was doing what I was doing.

Right. Find vague, hidden clues instead of just asking someone like Barney: What is going on?

Spartan said:
You don't see why it's unrealistic and laughable that some God somewhere decides that you can't speak, but none of the other characters notice this?
You can't speak because you're controlling Gordon. It's a control limitation.

The other characters are used to you not speaking. And remember, you could still be communicating non verbally to some extent.

Spartan said:
He has enough of an identity.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. When I step into Gordons shoes there is no other personality besides me.

spartan makes some great points and i agree with him on almost all of them. its a fun game, nobody is debating that..but its without a doubt missing something. i have 6 other friends playing it concurrently and we all felt the same way. spartan describes it perfectly, it just felt like we were going through the motions, with no real sense of purpose. extremely fun motions, but meaningless ones nonetheless.

dont get me wrong, we all understand the story. i read all the newspaper clippings and listened to all of breens speeches entirely, but there was something forced about hl2. almost as thought valve was hoping their preplanned level ideas would fit with the story they later came up with.

subtlesnake said:
You can't speak because you're controlling Gordon. It's a control limitation.

For some reason, I've been able to talk in every other game where I control someone. Stop coming up with lame excuses.

The other characters are used to you not speaking. And remember, you could still be communicating non verbally to some extent.

No, they are not used to Gordon not speakin, because they think that Gordon does speak. However, the dialog has been designed to be as onesided as possible, resulting in a very silly and confusing way of telling a story.

Guys, face it.

SOME PEOPLE DIDN'T LIKE THE NARRATIVE TECHNIQUES USED IN HALF-LIFE 2

It's not that hard a concept to understand. Arguing over it doesn't get you anywhere.

subtlesnake said:
I'm not allowed to ask questions. It's like waking up one day in a virtual reality world and discovering the creator has stopped you from speaking.

OK, that's really stretching it.

If someone has any real storyline to share that can be found ingame, please spill the beans.

Who are the Combine?
Where did they come from?
Why are they doing this to people? (Their goal, ie human slaves, making soldiers of people, earths resources)
Why are there bad aliens and why are there good aliens?
Where are we?
The Date.
How does Kleiner manage to keep a lab within 150ft of a metrocop station.
Why is there a machine crushing the city?
Why is Breen in charge?
Is city 17 the only city wherever you are?
Are there more people like Breen controlling other cities?
What happened to the cat?
Why is Kleiner more concerned with the headcrab than seeing me?
Why is the Gman talking to the resistance?
Why me? I'm just some guy with a PhD in Theoretical Physics.

Did I even do anything special? I mean, I'm the guy everyone has been waiting for, but the real work was done by the resistance when I was in the teleporter for that week, the rest of the time I was running from place to place with no real direction. It seems like the only thing I did that the others couldn't do for some reason was fire the RPG's.

I'm asking these things because I like the game and want to know whats going on, please don't confuse legitimate questions as being a rant. If you cared, you would want to know too; instead of just saying something about the answer being there and something else about "spoonfeeding" a story.

Gordon TALKS. You just don't hear what he says!

Remember that scene in Entanglement where Alyx tells Gordon "Let me do all the talking"... If Gordon was silent she wouldn't have told him that, would she?

Odysseus said:
Gordon TALKS. You just don't hear what he says!

Remember that scene in Entanglement where Alyx tells Gordon "Let me do all the talking"... If Gordon was silent she wouldn't have told him that, would she?

Anytime someone says "let me do the talking" is their way of saying that they know how to handle it.

Spartan said:
For some reason, I've been able to talk in every other game where I control someone. Stop coming up with lame excuses.
You personally have never said anything in a game. Your avatar has. It's not a lame excuse, it's the way the game works.

Gordon has no place in the gameworld, he has no life outside the players influence. He'll be kept lifeless in stasis until we're next able to step into his shoes. His and the players experience are one and the same.

In fact perhaps Gordon is simply a name for the body. The player is the entirety of his mind.

No, they are not used to Gordon not speakin, because they think that Gordon does speak.
"you're a man of few words aren't you" They accept it.

However, the dialog has been designed to be as onesided as possible, resulting in a very silly and confusing way of telling a story.
The dialogue by definition is one sided. Luckily they only inform Gordon, they never rely on him saying anything.

CriYam said:
Why are they doing this to people? (Their goal, ie human slaves, making soldiers of people, earths resources)
Where are we?
The Date.

These are probably one of the most obvious questions that Gordon would ask.

Why is Breen in charge?

And why is everyone from Black Mesa involved in these events?

subtlesnake said:
You personally have never said anything in a game. Your character has. It's not a lame excuse, it's the way the game works.

Don't sidestep the issue, please. You said that your character can't talk while you're controlling him, which is nonsense.

In fact perhaps Gordon is simply a name for the body. The player is the entirety of his mind.

Or perhaps not. Gordon has a history and certain traits.

"you're a man of few words aren't you" They accept it.

No, they do not. Gordon simply doesn't appear to speak.

The dialogue by definition is one sided. Luckily they only inform Gordon, they never rely on him saying anything.

What are you talking about? They never inform him of anything.

Spartan said:

Well that's not entirely true, Kleiner does tell you not to worry that Lamaar has been debeaked. :|

The story line in HL2 doesn't differ much from that one in HL. What people actually want in HL2 is an explanation about WTF happened while we were gone.

No can't do. That's where Alyx's add-on rolls in. You'll get explanations, don't worry.

One more remark on the difference between HL 1 and 2. HL2 feels much more spectacular because with all the bells and whistles, it makes you bother with things like "OMG look at the graphics/faces/storyline/physics". It mislead me into much more analyzing the game than playing it, unfortunately.

A.I. said:
The story line in HL2 doesn't differ much from that one in HL. What people actually want in HL2 is an explanation about WTF happened while we were gone.

No can't do. That's where Alyx's add-on rolls in. You'll get explanations, don't worry.

So that would make HL2 a 60 dollar trailer for an expansion with a storyline?

Spartan said:
Don't sidestep the issue, please. You said that your character can't talk while you're controlling him, which is nonsense.
The confusion is because the word character can refer simply to a person or a personality. While you control a personality, obviously the personality can talk.

On the other hand while you control Gordon there is no personality besides you. And you can't talk because your control is limited.

Or perhaps not. Gordon has a history and certain traits.
Yes, that was before the player became Gordon.

No, they do not. Gordon simply doesn't appear to speak.
Well isn't that enough for the plot to work?

What happens when they open their mouths then?

"Gordon Help! Snipers have pinned me down on the Roof!"

"You must go through Ravenholm and meet up with me on the otherside" [after black-mesa east is blocked off]

The portal to BME did not work, you must go through the Canal route

Get to BME

BME attacked, go thru Ravenholm- THE ONLY WAY

Get to Nova Prospekt via Highway 17.

Get to Nova Prospekt and meet up with Alyx, Father is kidnapped

Teleport back to BME after Eli is captured again.

Meet with Resistance after one-week teleport.

Street Wars.

Attempt to Rescue Alyx at citadel and destroy it.

So you really didn't know what was going on did you?

I also don't like the fact that you can't kill your friends. And how about the fact that when when you walk in the reverse direction you crash against an invisible wall impeding you from moving to the previous level?? Those limitations don't add anything positive to the game.

No you can go to the previous level as long as your in the same chapter.

subtlesnake said:
The confusion is because the word character can refer simply to a person or a personality. While you control a personality, obviously the personality can talk.

Obviously it can talk, if the developers give it some lines. It worked in the eighties, it should work now.

On the other hand while you control Gordon there is no personality besides you. And you can't talk because your control is limited.

Giving Gordon dialogue is not exactly rocket science for game developers.

StAtiC said:

"You must go through Ravenholm and meet up with me on the otherside" [after black-mesa east is blocked off]

Get to BME

Street Wars.

Uh... your explanation is chronologically out of of order, and otherwise confusing. So, no, I don't know what's going on.

This game requires you to use your imagination. Valve gives you a skeleton, a rough outline of the plot, and you fill it in with your own creativity. I like it, personally, but I can fully understand that some people wouldn't. It just depends on what you're looking for in a game.

Either there is a reason why he can't talk, or the developers wanted it to seem like YOU ARE gordon freeman, therefor the virtual gordon does not talk.

No you can go to the previous level as long as your in the same chapter.

False, what I described happens a lot in the tunnels in Highway 17.

If anyone needed to read that, they should be shot. Everything is known via observation... its not that hard.

Originally Posted by StAtiC

Get to BME

Street Wars.

The kidnappings only serve to move the plot forward, because well, there isn't much of a plot there....

Narcolepsy said:
This game requires you to use your imagination. Valve gives you a skeleton, a rough outline of the plot, and you fill it in with your own creativity. I like it, personally, but I can fully understand that some people wouldn't. It just depends on what you're looking for in a game.

Try a text adventure. That's imagination.

Narcolepsy said:

Sorry, the "invent your own story" doesn't work.

It wouldn't be HL2 if you were supposed to be inventing your own plot, the game isn't called Generic Adventurer:Imagination.

Back