Did Valve Lie To Us ?

S

Sir Dingo

Was the Sept 30 release even close to reality ? It seems like the game was not quite ready for prime time, and now they are pointing towards next April, that is a LONG way off from now :(
In that time games like Doom]l[, DuesEx2, Breed, etc.. will have been released, and maybe even Duke Nukem Forver, now that would be F'd up, if 3DRealms got Duke out before HL2

If Gabe knew the 9/30/03 was never going to happen, why string tons of people along for so long, and how many spent hard earned money on upgrades, expecting the game to be out this fall ?

I say, release the single player now, like this month, if it really is finished, if it dosnt come out soon, then Valve were truly never close to a complete game yet, but use the hacker as an excuse for them

sorry, I'll stop my rant

Maybe, but I guess we will never know. But look at it this way, I think Valve was indeed VERY close to releasing HL2 on Sept. 30. If you remember when this whole leak thing began (sept. 11) Valve still had about 2 weeks left to finish the game. And I bet it was damn close to being finished. I bet they knew that their network had been compromised but thought that they could handle the problem, fix what was needed, keep what had happend on the downlow and release the game on time. Then around sept 28th they announced the game was going to be delayed untill the holidays. Why? Because they found that the little problem had been a little bigger than they thought... Okay no biggie, fast forward a week and Gabe says the souce code got jacked. Uhhh okay still no biggie right? Well then this -anon asshole compiles the code and releases a playable build of the game *READ* PROBLEM so now valve has to clean up his mess and re-tool the code so it cant be exploited. I dont think they lied, they just didnt know how bad the situation really was.

How was the game "not ready for prime time"? Are you making assumptions based off of some random hacker on the internet?

Valve told us the game was NOT DONE when they announced the delay, which was the REASON for the delay. Do not think the game was ever completed before that point, or is completed now. The game is nearing completion (or was, before the Source code was stolen), and will be out late this year or early next year.

Yes, and we all know that all gaming companies besides Valve are perfect little angels with halos over there heads. Lmao

Originally posted by Dsty2001
Yes, and we all know that all gaming companies besides Valve are perfect little angels with halos over there heads. Lmao
Since when is Valve using the Halo engine over their heads? FOOL!

Well I honeslty feel like a mislead consumer based on what I've seen so far... I will patiently wait for reviews of the game before I make a purchase. I am hoping that the AI lives up to Valves promises based on the E3 demo...

This is from ANON, the leacker dude. I sure think he reakons they lied.:bounce:

"To all those saying HL2 was delayed because of the hacking action, ill just remind you that what was leaked is what Valve has, nothing more and nothing less, so its pretty good to understand it wasnt finished yet.

Also I'd like to point out the E3 was one big fake by Valve. Ever tried to kill that soldier in physicstown ? Notice the door will still get kicked ? No scripted sequences ?

To everyone saying this is no Beta: I'd like to point out that THIS is what you wanted Valve to release on 9/30/03, theres no such thing as a much better release in Valves network!

To Valve: I suggest you stop lying to your customers about how much was stolen/compromised, or I'll have to release everything just to prove my point."

Originally posted by Yatta
Since when is Valve using the Halo engine over their heads? FOOL!

I hope you are being sarcastic because I now think you hold the record for having the most idiotic post I've ever seen. Read what he wrote again.

Originally posted by Bluefusion
I hope you are being sarcastic because I now think you hold the record for having the most idiotic post I've ever seen. Read what he wrote again.

never seen a joke before. huh?

Thats what they say the version of the stolen beta is

version
Build: 15:45:59 Sep 26 2003 (-4)
Network protocol 2

Wonder if its faked??

also i read this from http://gtwy.hl2arena.com/

01:10:14] [Hitman8] Grid Near-term Milestones
[01:10:14] [Hitman8] The following milestones are steps along the way to a full September beta release. This information is proprietary and confidential and is not to be shared outside Valve and partners granted Grid access covered by NDA.
[01:10:14] [Hitman8] Code complete will be followed by a six-week testing period.
[01:10:14] [Hitman8] Installation of Code for Beta Testing - 9/30

I certainly hope that no more code is released, and valve make a statement about this whole mess very soon. Its still hard to believe it happened :(

So that means this beta build out there is pretty much finished, the hacker has all of the code (yet hasn't released it all), and the game WAS nearly ready just needed testing.

Either that or what the beta is (which is BARELY even alpha) what Valve has completed and it's... no where NEAR completion.

I think either the hacker has all the code and hasn't released it yet - or he doesn't have all the code and the beta (for what it currently is) is an old build. This thing is sloppy and no where near the level that the E3 demos were showing.

So. Either 1. He has it all but hasn't released it.
or
2. The beta released is all he has (all of it) and the game is either an old build or that's all Valve really has completed - which would be WAYS off from 9/30 release.. which is quite obvious by looking at it.

Really, I don't think this loser has too much more. Maybe a few fixes for the stuff he already let out. He's just holding it over your head to keep your attention focused on him. That's what this idiot lives for: attention.
If you quit giving him what he wants, he'll have to peel himself off his chair and be beaten by his abusive parents, or hopefully just rot away in his dark cave.

Originally posted by ElFuhrer
Really, I don't think this loser has too much more. Maybe a few fixes for the stuff he already let out. He's just holding it over your head to keep your attention focused on him. That's what this idiot lives for: attention.
If you quit giving him what he wants, he'll have to peel himself off his chair and be beaten by his abusive parents, or hopefully just rot away in his dark cave.

or maybe do something good for the world and plant a tree...the little bastard

Originally posted by enthused
or maybe do something good for the world and plant a tree...the little bastard

HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Joneleth
How was the game "not ready for prime time"? Are you making assumptions based off of some random hacker on the internet?

Valve told us the game was NOT DONE when they announced the delay,

erm, when will people learn the facts before posting, NO valve told us it was finished! and they were doing localization ie: languages, so please unless you know the facts dont speak at all

the beta cant be all they had at sept 26 or whatever. valve couldnt F**k us around that much with all that sept 30 talk if thats all they had.

my faith is with valve to pull somthing out soon that will put these things to rest.

and if they dont, then will you finally agree that they lied to us?

arrghhh i want to play! you bastards !!
(you know i do wish my life was so much more fulfilling)

Hmmm has anyone wondered if the 'hacker' changed the build number ? It is possible he/she got an older build and 'doctored' the build number...I mean its not super encrypted (the build number).

The only thing that is solid evidence, to me, that valve lied to the community is that CS:CZ has only gone gold today... If vavle was truely planning on releasing HL2 end of sept then it would have come out b4 CS:CZ which would have killed CZ'ds sales. So I personally don't think that hl2 was ever going out on that day.

I think that valve/gabe thought at e3 that they could hit that target.(9/30).....

they waited to the last minute to tell us they were not gonna hit that date....other than not having an airtight network(windows based no less) and that.....

i dont see what all this bs about them lying to us is..............

Something interesting...

As we reached "one week" to September 30th, I recall saying on a board that it's a little bizare we have not heard anything relating to a gold stage or a confirm that the date would be met. But what was more bizare is that Amazon.com changed their release date to October 31st 2003. Now this was *before* the hack became public and before any of this release stuff occured.

The next day I went back to Amazon.com and checked again, and low and behold, the date was changed once more, this time to December 1st 2003.

I said at the time.. "woah... thats weird". I don't believe Amazon.com would change this date without being told to by whoever. Why would Amazon "delay" a game in such a way, before Valve had even commented on anything. Nope, that game slipped.

Then we hear this stuff about April 2004 *due to the hack*.

Two theories... Valve were close to complete, had a release candidate ready, the hacker may or may not have gotten this (perhaps he is saving the best till last or is giving Valve a break).. noticed the network problem before it became public and delayed release... tipping off the distros to adjust their dates to give them the time to investigate fully.

Or.

Valve clearly knew they would not make the date, told the distro companys these October 31st/December 1st dates and then found out about the hack, which caused them a futher delay.

*shrug*

I repeat : How do we know this hacker didn't merely change the build number to look like he/she had a recent build ? The biggest proof that Valve were not near completion is the state of this leaked build...and we know this build is recent because of the date on the build number...but I am sure its easy to change build number that gets displayed.

Though I do admit the argument regarding CS:CZ getting released now is compelling, HL 2 would of drowned out CS:CZ sales easily.

Back