Direct X 8 shaders vs Direct X 9 shaders images

F

Franky4Fingers

I dunno if you guys have seen these yet, just found a pair of comparison images of version 1.1 pixel shaders (Direct X 8 cards) versus version 2.0 pixel shaders (Direct X 9 cards) on gamespot.com:

dx_screen001.jpg

dx_screen002.jpg

Anyone else think that the difference is extremely minor? Looks like my cheap GF4 titanium is going to handle HL2 pretty well after all :D

yup, the 2.0 still looks nicer, but its not huge.

There is a difference between what the direct-x 8 vs direct-x 9 shaders are capable of in direct-x 9.0 games such as half-life 2. The Direct-x 8 shaders are pretty good at bump mapping, allowing transparent and reflective with ripples, high-res water to be appleid in half-life 2, but the Direct-X 9 shaders allow refractive water with even more super-high res water, and refractive water will allow the reflective water to be more realistic, with realistic ripples and all that.

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
yup, the 2.0 still looks nicer, but its not huge.

there is a massive diffrence... are you blind?

No but seriously, if you tried to run that HDR demo, you wouldnt get those awsome shiny reflections... so HAH!

(ANGRY) I NEVER SAID THERE WASN'T A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE! Geeze, direct-x 9 water will look much more pretty.

I dunno man, they look very very similar to me there. The ripples are a bit smoother in DX9, and some of the underwater rocks are a lighter colour, but other than that the difference is hardly noticable. Open the images in seperate windows, and then alt-tab between them and you'll see what I mean.

The problem with screenshots is that a lot of the DX9 effects really need motion to be shown in their full glory.

One big difference, tho, is that in DX8, the lobster creature wont be all shiny/bumpy.

Originally posted by mannyfresh027
i bet seeing them in motion will show a bigger difference

Yep, like playing a game with no AA or AF, and then throwing on 4xAA and 8xAF.

In screenshots it may not look much different, but while in game you can't shake the feeling that it looks alot crisper:cool:

Heres a comparison , im using Dx8 since I have a 5900 , its hardly any different , just lighter

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 788
What does anisotropic filtering actually do? I couldnt see any difference with it on 8x or off in BF1942

One big difference, tho, is that in DX8, the lobster creature wont be all shiny/bumpy
you mean like in the latest dynamic range demo? i didn't like that shining on the creature in the video anyway, it seemed very unrelaistic

::EDIT::
but i agree that the water looks better on the DX9, but other than that i didn't see much difference between the two screenies

i must be blind because i cant see any difrence beteween them at all, except the reflection on the bottom left looks brighter in the 2.0

I see absolutely no difference between dx8 and dx9 in those pictures. I would not be able to tell which one is dx9.

Originally posted by Deadline
there is a massive diffrence... are you blind?

No but seriously, if you tried to run that HDR demo, you wouldnt get those awsome shiny reflections... so HAH!

actually yes those of us that can run dx 8.1 will still get those pretty little shiny reflections. SO HA. :) (maybe not quite so nice, but they will be there and GLORIOUS non the less! :) )

no biggie. dx8 is gonna look better in hl2 than anything out now

Originally posted by Franky4Fingers
What does anisotropic filtering actually do? I couldnt see any difference with it on 8x or off in BF1942
It makes textures that are further away look sharper. This feature is not noticable in every single game. It all depends on the game environment.

Originally posted by Yatta
It makes textures that are further away look sharper. This feature is not noticable in every single game. It all depends on the game environment.

yea, like in vice city you cant tell at all with AF at 0x but in the halo beta it looks pretty shit on 0x

actually yes those of us that can run dx 8.1 will still get those pretty little shiny reflections. SO HA.

No, not HDR or spec/bump maps on characters.

you gotta see them both in motion.

DOnt judge the world of dx9 and dx8.1 from these 2 silly little pictures.

About 95% of what you saw in the E3 videos would look the same in DX8
- Posted by Arnaldo42 in the valve info thread.

Thats damn well enough for me, the e3 demos amaze me still.

The sad thing? People are willing to spend upwards of $800 for a top of the line ATI card to get little bump maps on badguys. When your fragging things left and right from down the hall, YOU WON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT THAT STUFF!

I got nailed in another thread by someone saying I was telling people how to spend their money... I wasn't, I was just saying... It's a terrible waste of money.

Go buy your girlfriend some flowers or a necklace or something... and stop making threads like these. If getting cool rippley water effects is "your thang" then go out and blow a wad of cash on, what is basically, a marketing scheme.

$800? i paid $177 for a radeon 9500 pro the day it came out and then i flashed it with a 9700 pro bios and oc'ed it. so now it runs close to the speeds of a 9700 pro which isn't must slower than a 9800 pro.

so i'd say it is not that expensive to get top of the line performance and visual quality in hl2. i prefer single player over multiplayer also, so i will not be running around like a maniac all day and i will notice the details.

i did buy some flowers though. now all i need is a gf... quick they're wilting.

Hey, as long as the game has unbelievable gameplay and multi.. no one will really care about the dx9-dx8 comparisons ... just framerates :p

If you just drop down one or two notches from top-of-the-line on each part when building a computer you can make a computer that performs very well... but it would cost around half the price.

Top-of-the-line hardware is for people that have extra money sitting there doing nothing... and they want the fastest possible machine.

"Bleeding edge" technology comes at a cost... whether it is worth that cost is for you to determine.
There is no one best card for all users.

For some reason most of the images on Gamespot won't load for me, including the posted link screenshots. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions how to fix this? I'm running latest version of IE, if that matters.

Originally posted by Heleos
The sad thing? People are willing to spend upwards of $800 for a top of the line ATI card to get little bump maps on badguys. When your fragging things left and right from down the hall, YOU WON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT THAT STUFF!

I got nailed in another thread by someone saying I was telling people how to spend their money... I wasn't, I was just saying... It's a terrible waste of money.

Go buy your girlfriend some flowers or a necklace or something... and stop making threads like these. If getting cool rippley water effects is "your thang" then go out and blow a wad of cash on, what is basically, a marketing scheme.

uh yea right, I can get a top of the line 9800pro for about $545.44, when if I try to get a 5900u, thats runnin me about $650.70

ok so lets look at this, 9800pro runs all current games great, runs tommorws games (dx9) and is able to do all the eye candy while keeping a good fps.

while the 5900u, runs all current games great (dx8.1 games) runs tommorws games (dx9) like crap, they have to "optimize the shader paths" cutting down IQ to get a decent fps, and it doesnt even get close to touching ati's heels. to top it off paying around 650.70 dollars for a card that seems to have no future in dx9 titles is a bad buy.

I could pick up a 9600pro for about 254.95 dollars, and it would perform just as well, and in most cases BETTER then the 5900ultra in tommorws games (dx9)

and if you still can't figure out what is at the top at current, don't bother trying, you do and say whatever you need to, to help suck down that 650.70 dollar price tag in your throat.

(note all prices are canadian)

800? good job pulling a number straight outta your ass. no consumer card costs that much, not even when its brand new.

After many, many hours of comparing the two Direct X 8.1 & 9.0b pictures, I have concluded that HALF-LIFE 2 IS ****ING AWESOME!!! THE BEST ****ING GAME EVER!!! WHO CARES ABOUT MINOR DIFFERENCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!v

I agree. People should learn more about economics. The price of something is NEVER best considered as the monetary pricetag. You instead have to consider the opportunity cost: i.e. what you are forgoing getting in order to get something. When I spend my 10$ on a burger, that's 10$ I have less to spend on a 10$ haircut. Whether the hamburger is worth it is not a matter of considering the 10$, but rather considering whether it is really better than all the other things you could spend the money on.

How does this apply to games? Easy. 300$ extra you spend on a graphics card with extra memory could have been spent on faster system memory.... which might in the end have more tangible benefits than power that games don't even use yet.

Back