Disappointed!

S

sphoenix

The ending really sucked. The begining sucked even more with the authentication BS! I could play but it usually took me 2hrs! to get it to work on or offline. It wasn't a refined system. Now.....Beyond that stuff the game was really great, which is the only thing that makes up for the rest. I'm not finished. The length of the game was a shortcoming as well. Way too short and that ending was like they just got to a point where they needed to get the game out and finally just meet a deadline so they just said the hell with it. I was much more satisfied with DOOM3 than Half life because of all the BS. Great graphics, AI and all that stuff but just tooooooooo much other crap that ruined the whole gaming experience. If they decide to do the online Authentication next time I won't buy their games. It's like inviting friends over to watch a movie and you end up having to wait 3 or 4 hrs to watch it just for authentification. I bought it! After that it's mine! And I want to play it when I want in about 30sec after starting it up. I want my money back Valve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shut up

if i hear one more

" i didnt like the ending is sux0ed teh big !11!1!1" im gonna hunt you all down with a headcrab...and make it eat you inside out!!! :devil:

the ending did not suck you pea brained nicompoop!! it was indeed clever..true to the feel of HL, i suppose u ran through the game and didnt listen to anything didnt you? WELL GO BACK AND LISTEN!

The ends

Thanks!

Why do you people say the ending sucked so much!?? I heard it was great and did you expect some gay happily ever after crap? It's HL2! They are going to make HL3 too you know. Make a better ending..go ahead and try..it fits well.

Too bad for you. I feel lucky that the authentication went well for me. :afro:

The ending sucked.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I listened. Nothing special...All they did was leave it open for #3 Which should be done shoetly because they probably developed it in tanden with #2. So they are all about the money! Not customer satisfaction.!

signed up to complain about the ending?

you should be castrated.

be casterated because he has an opinion? get over it and stop being immature because someone doesnt like a game you have waited for and drooled over for 6 years. i loved the ending and the entire game. the ends. :smoking:

CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE THE 60000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 poster on this topic you win absolutely nothing!!!!!
(throws confetti)

Yes, completely agree: the ending was terrible. You can get all your 15 year old teenage metaphysical bullcrap out and swing it all around. "Oohh, you didn't get it because you didn't pay attention. I'm smart because I got it and you didn't. Wow, the HL2 plot was so deep it taught me so much about life." No. I got the ending. Fate vs. Choice, Involuntary Freedom vs. Voluntary Bondage, yeah, I got all that. I've taken Literature 101. But the fact of it is, half the time I was shooting stuff because I wanted to see things blow up, not because I was motivated by a central plot or struggle. In that respect, Half Life 2's plot failed to bring out what otherwise could be an interesting progression of events.

Everyone is replying to the fact that I didn't like the ending. No-one is responding to the fact that the authentification BS helped ruin the experience for me. I have an AMD 64 3400 with a gig of ram x800 pro graphics 240 gig and cable modem but it wouldn't authenticate on a fast basis. I wanted to play the game and it took hours! The game was too quick ended as well. It took 3 weeks for me to get through DOOM3 at the same attention. It was a short game for the price, the hassle and the crappy lets look for more money ending. The ending sucked guys. They just want you wanting more and they did it with you guys. You want more I think it was crap. Someone will come out with a better game than Half life 2 and it will blow them out of the biz.

Mithie said:
Yes, completely agree: the ending was terrible. You can get all your 15 year old teenage metaphysical bullcrap out and swing it all around. "Oohh, you didn't get it because you didn't pay attention. I'm smart because I got it and you didn't. Wow, the HL2 plot was so deep it taught me so much about life." No. I got the ending. Fate vs. Choice, Involuntary Freedom vs. Voluntary Bondage, yeah, I got all that. I've taken Literature 101. But the fact of it is, half the time I was shooting stuff because I wanted to see things blow up, not because I was motivated by a central plot or struggle. In that respect, Half Life 2's plot failed to bring out what otherwise could be an interesting progression of events.

awwww your mommy wasnt there to spoon feed you the story. Dont cry, dont cry.

Sphoenix I agree with you. Unfortunately this forum is full of zealots that will spam any meaningful discussion. It really looks like Valve was stopped short in their tracks and had to release only half of the original HL2 project.

Authentication took 10 mins for me. I started it, took a shower, then came back and it was done. As for the ending, my initial reaction was disappointment, but then I started thinking about and realized it was pretty clever. And yes, it is a deep ending, just because you dont get it doesnt mean its stupid. Go watch the movies Memento and Muholland Drive. Figure those movies out and youll have no problem getting hl2. Of course, as with any mind-**** plot, it will make a lot more sense when its finished. This the middle section of the half-life plot. Of course its not gonna make much sense. But half of the fun of these types of movies/games is trying to figure out whats going on and whats going to happen. Stop complaining and start analyzing. If after you have made an actual attempt to analyze and you still hate it, you will have the right to gripe. Until then, bye.

Authentication took about five minutes for me. Boo-****ing-hoo. It only happens once. It's not like you're going through this shit every time you load HL2.

"OMG HL2 TOOK SO LONG TO AUTHENTICATE". Let me get you a bucket for those tears.

Staticprimer there's nothing to analyze:) HL2 story is like watching Memento w/o knowing that the guy has amnesia and with last 10 minutes of the movie cut off. Just a number of flashbacks.

I loved the entire last level. My favorite part of the game.

In comparison, I just got done with Halo2 also. Now THERE was an ending that truly sucked. My roommate couldn't believe it WAS the ending. The game just suddenly stopped without explanation.

Contrast that with the entire last level of HL2. Everything is leading up to the ending. You KNOW it's coming. I suppose they could have had some super big boss fight, but that's not really fitting with the style of the rest of the game. I liked that instead, you got to have the unique weapons experience they decided on, and got to see so much of what made the combine and doctor Breen tick.

Two thumbs up from me.

Talk to one of the vorti-however you spell it-things, and then tell me theres nothing to analyze. Then pay attention to the graffiti, and the loudspeakers, and Breens end speech. Between those things, surely youll be able to deduce something..

3 weeks to get through doom 3? and i bet ur like everyone other person who will play one level here and there, but they are all the same and its soo repetative, thats why hl2 is better, i think its loger then doom 3 and even if it wasnt for u...i bet u agree with me that hl2 has way more of a replay value then doom3...

i also had 0 problems with the auth that everyone complains about, i played hl2 at like 12:03, i opened steam the split second my clock on my pc hit 12 and it started dl'n the files, i was very impressed it was up RIGHT at midnight.

and the ending, valve doesnt want us to know everything cuz of course they want to set up for more sequels, and i for one am glad, cuz that means more hours and hours of gameplay and mods for me.

sphoenix said:
Everyone is replying to the fact that I didn't like the ending. No-one is responding to the fact that the authentification BS helped ruin the experience for me. I have an AMD 64 3400 with a gig of ram x800 pro graphics 240 gig and cable modem but it wouldn't authenticate on a fast basis. I wanted to play the game and it took hours! The game was too quick ended as well. It took 3 weeks for me to get through DOOM3 at the same attention. It was a short game for the price, the hassle and the crappy lets look for more money ending. The ending sucked guys. They just want you wanting more and they did it with you guys. You want more I think it was crap. Someone will come out with a better game than Half life 2 and it will blow them out of the biz.

You've got some problems if the authentication process, ruined your game experience. Problems happen, people aren't perfect contrary to what you may believe. I didn't get playing till almost 3 hours after I bought the game, ya, it wasn't too fun, but I got to play the game I've been waiting for for a long time, and it was AWESOME! It didn't ruin squat for me. Made the anticipation even greater. Learn some patience.

Also, I beat doom3 faster than hl2, go figure.

Back