dm_0000

IchI

Reaction score
Hey, I will be using this thread for my map development. This map will be used as my Valve competition map so I am putting quite a lot of effort into it. Thats pritty much it really. To get an idea of what its going to be like when finished here is a small caption of my plan:

I plan on making this map very detailed and running at medium speeds. Low performance computers are not really my target and in some ways I just want to push the engine. The map theme is to make a city warzone. With plenty of traps and mines players will not only have to worry about killing each other. There will be small amounts of AI but there will be no visual compbat with enimes. They will just be used to keep combat moving and dropping bombs on crital locations. I wish to put a lot more weapons in than your standard dm map and keeping to strick area guide lines. Shotguns will be in close combat areas and rocket launchers will be hard to get without having to turn of security first.

Thats pritty much it, I have a sort of visual plan. But I am also just going along with whatever happens.

Enough talking, here are the pics:

dm_0000_0001.jpg

dm_0000_0003.jpg

dm_0000_0002.jpg

Low performance computers are not really my target and in some ways I just want to push the engine.

How, then, can it be a competition map?

Looks nice, I noticed you rounded off your doorways very nicely(I cant figure out how) The only thing I see that looks a little off is the smashed out window frames on the first floor... they just dont look good there for w/e reason. Should probably keep those up on the top floors

Looks nice, looks sharp, looks clean. Good luck. You might want to take into consideration what Pi said though, I think valve is looking for maps that appeal to the masses.

Pi Mu Rho said:
How, then, can it be a competition map?

It will proberly run like the de_aztec from cs 1.6 (slowest running map in 1.6) I don't think I can win the comp anyway. The highest I could proberly get is about the top 100 and thats if I am lucky. Performance is still on my mind, but its not really something I am thinking about like Valve. Its very unlikly my map will ever be fully played as well. I would rather experiment with performance and make a kewl map, then see if it can win as an added bonus.

Jackathan said:
Looks nice, I noticed you rounded off your doorways very nicely(I cant figure out how) The only thing I see that looks a little off is the smashed out window frames on the first floor... they just dont look good there for w/e reason. Should probably keep those up on the top floors

Ye, its pritty easy, all u do is clip a brush into about 5 triangles from one corner then use your point selector tool thingy to move them into a curved shape.

Are the rails on the stairs a model in the game?

Yep - I use them too. They're in props_wasteland

your building structure outside and lighting with spot lights looks a lot like mine. but textures and some other variations make yours look very different. now i must change my map :)

so far looks good. makes me wanna post some of my screenies :cheese:

Hey Ichi. Would you release the map after the contest(if you dont win) so we can see what its like other the screenshots?

Z|insane said:
Hey Ichi. Would you release the map after the contest(if you dont win) so we can see what its like other the screenshots?

Ye sure. I could proberly release the source as well. It depends how good it ends up been.

lookin good, except for the asphalt ceiling. other than that though.

IchI I think it would be cool if you could make a video on how to make AI (if they work in HL2DM)

Hmm...After seeing the maps posted on this forum I suddenly feel like not entering :). My main prob is textures really - do they seem a bit limited to others (clearly not to those who have posted screens grrr......)

I like the looks of it so far. my only suggestion is that you get some different railings. I know they are the only ones, but they really don't look like they belong. so maybe change the rest of the textures in there(but thats alot of work).. or make the railing manually(which is also alot of work)..
Just my thoughts, keep it up! :thumbs:

looks great. accept the destroyed part witht he fire looks sort of out of place, cause nothing around it is destroyed so u wonder where all these chunks of concrete came from when the wall and ceiling is all intact.

SenorDingDong said:
looks great. accept the destroyed part witht he fire looks sort of out of place, cause nothing around it is destroyed so u wonder where all these chunks of concrete came from when the wall and ceiling is all intact.

it will be, don't worry :p 1/2 the building will be on fire at the end of it all. I am just working towards it gradually adding stuff as I go.

oh just one other small nitpick i might add in terms of realism. the light effect you got going on those lights looks cool, but a dome light model wouldn't project light like that, although there are other light models available that would.

How did you do the textures on that first house and the walls inside the house?

Looks nice...... Can't wait to play all of the maps that get made for this contest. Its even getting me to really try hard at mapping :)

Coming out nice! I agree about the dome lights though. For some strange reason they just don't seem to "fit" to me. Its not the point_spotlight, I think its the light in general.

You have a pretty run down building, some burning aspects, destroyed face, but yet the dome lights are still nice and pretty. I'd dump the lights, leave the light prop, swap in some sparks or something, and shift the enviromental light to add more ambiance to the rooms.

Realistically, a building having that much damage is probably not going to have working lights. Just my two cents. Other than that looks beautiful! Good luck with the map.

If you're going to keep the dome lights, swap out the point_spots for more of a glowy sprite, like glow03 and increase the scale to 1.5. Dome lights light things up in 360, they are not directional.

lloks good, but to crowded for dm? well that bit there is there outside? looks like there is gonna be :D

Dasparov said:
lloks good, but to crowded for dm? well that bit there is there outside? looks like there is gonna be :D

This is the shotgun area, well its planned on been anyway.

Back