DM_Depot RC2Preview(Big update-56k warning)

brisck1

Reaction score
dm_depot_RC2previewTitle.jpg

Well since RC1 I awaited patiently for any signs of the competition results and the deadline came and went and as did the notification date and when it became obvious I wasn't in the finals I decided to go back and work on my map and take my time to make it more like my original vision.

My first goal was to optimise the map properly rather than just placing occluders everywhere (which actually ends up eating performance & can be buggy) I started to look into areaportals, and I have to say - these are amazing. The map now runs so much smoother that it allowed me to add in much more detail without any performnce drop.

As you will see from the screenshots posted below the environment is now much richer with more places duke it out, with each area hopefully allowing for variation in gameplay style, from up close 'toileting' action to rocket fights and sniping.

Many improvements have have been made to the map visually also. The lighting is now much more brighter and realistic, much more carefully placed props and texturing too - but i'll let the screenshots do the talking here.

Its taken me weeks of hard work to come here from RC1 and I think im finally happy with the map and just have to redo weapons placement and do abit more testing and then I'll hopefully release it later this week!

Hopefully it'll be much more playable for those who were let down with performance last time and much more fun and bug-free for those who weren't!

Anyway here are the screens, and as ever im open to feedback!

dm_depot_RC2preview01.jpg

dm_depot_RC2preview02.jpg

dm_depot_RC2preview03.jpg

dm_depot_RC2preview04.jpg

dm_depot_RC2preview05.jpg

dm_depot_RC2preview06.jpg

dm_depot_RC2preview07.jpg

dm_depot_RC2preview08.jpg

dm_depot_RC2preview09.jpg

Can't wait, looks superb! Grats on a beautiful map, I'm a bit fussy on my map downloads but this is number one on the list. What number of players would you recommend for the map?

WOW. It's maps like this that make me glad i spent so much on my videocard. All I can say is wow.

The map has some really good visuals. :)
Can't wait to see if the gameplay keeps up :sniper:

I'll repeat what I said at Steam:

You've outdone yourself.

As you know - we've been playing RC1 to death, and loving every minute of it.

It's great with 8 people - but it's also fantastic with just two stalking one-another through it.

As people have mentioned - it's beautiful, but the bottom line with RC1 was it was great fun. I have no reason to think that this release won't be even better.

We're running on a new server, a faster one, so I'll repeat my invite to you to brave the intercontinental pings to play with us one day.

Kate.

(And what maps must Valve have received for them not to be all over this one?)

NICEE!!, but sharpen filter si EVIL.

Brick, that is superb. Im aspiring to making a map that looks so rich in detail like that, i can imagine that took you a while .

I don't think he used a sharpen filter, anyway

I would have loved to see the combine razortrain (the one you have to avoid once your up on the bridge in SP) fly by on the medium high tracks, the one that goes from the nova prospect building. It looks alot more frighting and gives alot more tence when that thing comes at yeah with high speed.

thats the only point I would love to see. Anyway, Love the lighting, every part has its own mood wich I really like.

Please make more maps, cuz this shit = awsome

yeah i love this map,go it with pc gamer uks dvd which had their top 5 hl2dm maps which were sent to valve in their comp.shame its hard to find a decent server or 1 that plays another great map,motel

GnaaDXarmy said:
Any US servers playin RC1?

I'll direct your attention to the post located two spots above yours. Or to my .sig.

Kate.

jimbo118 said:
yeah i love this map,go it with pc gamer uks dvd which had their top 5 hl2dm maps which were sent to valve in their comp.shame its hard to find a decent server or 1 that plays another great map,motel

PC Gamer listed it in the top 5? :O

brisck1 said:
PC Gamer listed it in the top 5? :O
yeah version 1,they included their top 5 fav maps to download from thousands(all the 1s sent to valve for the comp),depot was in it,along with de_motel(great map),district 33(this map is amazing),ravenholmlake,inevitable conflict

wow if it was beta 1 im suprised! :) it is so bad compared to what I have now!

Learned so much since then!

jimbo118 said:
yeah version 1,they included their top 5 fav maps to download from thousands(all the 1s sent to valve for the comp),depot was in it,along with de_motel(great map),district 33(this map is amazing),ravenholmlake,inevitable conflict

WOW !! This is the first I ever heard about my level, District 33 being included on a dvd !!! :cheers: :E

It has some issues that have since been resolved. I just thought noone was interested, so I never released a follow up that fixed the spawn bug and improved performance.After my current project is complete, I'll release a fixed version of District 33 !

Brisk1, your map ownz dude !! Wonderful lighting :thumbs:

This new version is a good opportunity to point out a problem I had with the original version. See the little metal support or whatever in this pic?

For some reason, it is impossible to shoot through it. Even in between the beams. Crossbow bolts will just stick in midair because this detail effectively creates a big invisible wall.

Which is a shame, since it's directly between my favorite sniping spot and a quarter of the map. It lets people line up the targets perfectly but never hit them.
So, I'd suggest either removing it or replacing it with a version you can shoot through.

In the building that support is connected to, I also had some trouble with the various stairs and boards that lead upto the top. They're occasionally difficult to get up without getting caught on something. But it looks like you've made some big changes to that area, so we'll see how that turns out.

Also, don't forget slams! :D

RC1 is my second favorite map outside the big 3 official ones, so I'm really interested in the outcome of 2. This version already looks a lot better though.

Thanks for the suggestion - it will be noted and added ;)

good feedack, if anyone else remembers any other annoyances like this from RC1 let me know here!

UltraNew_B said:
WOW !! This is the first I ever heard about my level, District 33 being included on a dvd !!! :cheers: :E

It has some issues that have since been resolved. I just thought noone was interested, so I never released a follow up that fixed the spawn bug and improved performance.After my current project is complete, I'll release a fixed version of District 33 !

Brisk1, your map ownz dude !! Wonderful lighting :thumbs:
your map is the best map 1 ive seen ultranew,it really fits the city 17 feel,your production values are incredible,good atmosphere too with the sounds of the city etc and the physics,love shooting down lamposts with cars,excellent,if only i could find a server that actually played it

there is lots of hl2 stuff on this months dvd,sp lvls,mods,skins and even a 2hour 20 minute speedrunthrough by a guy called moose i think,worth the watch it is too

ooops i just checked the dvd and your map brisk wasnt in the top5 but it was a "stunning" map that they had to include so i guess technically it is in their top6,the other map in the to5 is called diesel beta

I just picked up a PC GAmer this afternoon and saw I got a lil box article for Depot - which was nice :)

Anyway just an update to anyone who experienced problems viewing any of the images this afternoon (GMT) It should be all up and working now!

thanks

One thing I noticed which is kind of nitpicky is how the combine barrier sound plays only when you are pressed up right against the barrier, when usually you should be able to stand near it and hear it hum.

Oh, and the whole "Being able to see through the floors of the little shacks" thing, but I'm sure you've heard about that.

Other than that, I can't think of much other than a few issues with how well it plays.

You're amazing, together with Steamlab the best looking Source engine map imo (but Steamlab is much smaller and easier to achieve that detail).

BTW: I thought he didn't use a sharpen filter, but used a bicubic sharp for resizing the pics.

Lincoln said:
Oh, and the whole "Being able to see through the floors of the little shacks" thing, but I'm sure you've heard about that.

Other than that, I can't think of much other than a few issues with how well it plays.

WHat do you mean? how can you see through the floors? can u post a screen shot?

brisck can you do the css community favor? Make a great looking custom css map cause so far most of them look fugly

Maybe, I'd have to learn abit more about CS's gameplay before hand though

Uni-Ball said:
brisck can you do the css community favor? Make a great looking custom css map cause so far most of them look fugly

Agreed. Totally. :thumbs:

brisck1 said:
Maybe, I'd have to learn abit more about CS's gameplay before hand though

I recommend you trying CS:S if you don't play it, it's a great game.

brisck1, your map looks great. I look forward to it's release. I don't play HL2: DM much at the moment, but I might now! :bounce:

Edit my server was taking a bashing again with so many people viewing the images I've taken them down and put them onto a free host (image shack)

my.php

Not long now until release! Just trying to get in as much optimisation as possible now. Running Full Vis and hoping to squeeze out a few more FPS that way.

Thanks

The detail in this map is amazing, :)

I am sure you have fixed the hole that i pointed out on your first map :)

Cheers,
bbyybb.

lol yeah thant dang thing! that whole area has been changed/updated/improved now - no way i'd let something like that go on release now :)

Cool bananas mate.

I am always happy to beta test for you again you know :)

I will leave no stone left unturned.

Cheers,
bbyybb.

Well this next release will be the final RC and then the final will be probably released about a month after, so i'd really appriciate your help finding any bugs for this next release so the final is really well polished!

The feedback I got last time was great! so many things I missed. Hopefully there will be less in this release but because i've made such big changes I have probably created more bugs which Im yet to find.

Seriously if a CSS map had half the detail of Depot it would rival all of the Valve maps. Also if you need any testing for a CSS map PM me please, i have 4 years of css experience and have gone to CAL IM.

infamy said:
We're running on a new server, a faster one, so I'll repeat my invite to you to brave the intercontinental pings to play with us one day.

Kate.

(And what maps must Valve have received for them not to be all over this one?)

I also host in the US, Southern California:
24.24.216.59:27015

www.richardwurzer.com/hl2dm.html

cant wait for RC2 - man it looks bad a$$.

^ I did..I had precognitive powers that allowed me to create technology from the future. unless CSS now means Counter Strike....S

Back