dm_tower_arena_v2 [final release]

Lord_PackRat

Reaction score
some of you may remember dm_tower_arena from a loonng time ago...

dm_tower_arena.jpg

i may have mentioned that it wasnt finished and i was gonna get around to completing it... har har har

well now, one year from its release (within like a week actually... wierd coincidence, i only just noticed) i present to you dm_tower_arena_v2.

dm_tower_arena_v2.jpg

I found it the other day when I was looking thru my old project archives for a scripted sequence i wanted to cannibalize for a more current project. :D As soon as I saw it I realised I was gonna have to finish it, even tho I don't really play hl2dm anymore.

The one thing that bothered me the most about the original was the atmosphere... it looked cool but it was way too tranquil. As you can see I've remedied that. :smoking: The map is now smack in the middle of a thunderstorm that sounds as pleasant as it looks. I guess the major focus of this exercise was really the atmosphere of the map, and I'm more than happy with the result.

Some gameplay changes too - a couple more platforms... some item rearrangements... and now the map actually has slams... the suspended rocket-whore platform is now see-thru and you can shoot thru it, and theres no teleporter to escape in, so going up there for the rocket launcher is more risky.

As this is more of a closure release than anything else, I haven't playtested it much, but there shouldnt be any issues as the mods i made are simply from my todo list from the original version.

Download the map

Here are some screens ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7), though frankly I don't think they do the atmosphere justice. (yes :D im more proud of the storm than the rest of the map)

edit: also, i won't run a server like i used to because my shitty adsl isnt really equipped for it, but if anyone here is running a server and wants to give it a spin...

2-14 basically

its got a shit load of spawn points (like 20-25) so you can load it up like an refugee boat if you want... but based on the size of the map it say 14 is the limit

thought I'd mention this here as its related:

Map Name: ctf_tower_arena_b1
Authors: PackRat + Snillor
Release Date: 15st Feb, 2006
Number of Players: 6-16
Screenshots: 1 2 3 4
Download URL: ctf_tower_arena_b1.zip

I've had a few requests for ports of this map, most of which were for hl2ctf. Thing is I don't play hl2ctf, and I don't know the gameplay at all, so I ended up enlisting some help.

Special thanks to Snillor, who handled majority of the porting work on this map. The item/entity placement, and most of the changes/additions to the layout of the map are thanks to him. I really only oversaw the process and cleaned up any problems.

Also, apparently the storm in dm_tower_arena_v2 lagged more than I thought... so I've optimised the storm in this ctf version slightly - should offer improved performance (neccessary because the map is bigger)

quick note:

Map Name: ctf_tower_arena_b2
Authors: PackRat + Snillor
Release Date: 6th May, 2006
Number of Players: 6-16
Download URL: ctf_tower_arena_b2.zip

Update & Bugfix

--Turrets now face the wall when they spawn, so throwing them off the edge actually accomplishes something.
--Improved weapon balance (hopefully)
--Moved rebel flag to better balance the map
--Some performance tweaks (its hard to get much out of it because its all outdoors, but now it seems to stay above 33fps on my machine instead of the slide-show 20fps from before.)

edit: i totally forgot to mention the rebel flag :\

Dude!! I play on that map soo much on the OFC servers!! I love it.

Dude, you coulda been slightly more subtle! The map author created this thread after all! :p

AfternoonLemon said:
Dude, you coulda been slightly more subtle! The map author created this thread after all! :p
Ok sorry it is very well done and looks grate but i don't like playing on it.
1 no where to hide
2 when face to face one of us falls of
3 it just isn't my style of map thats all

"CModelLoader::Map_IsValid: Map 'ctf_tower_arena_b1' bsp version 20, expecting 19"

How to fix?

I agree with Sparda I don't really like it, I always fall off the edge. an when it gets dark and it rains I can't see any body!

Back