Do VALVe trying to fix their bugs?

M

moppe

Before anyone comes and starts complaining that I'm a fanboy that is trying to start a flamewar against HL2, you're wrong.

I'm just curious what people wan't to see fixed in the final game and if some nice person could send a email to Rick to see if they have noticed any of the bugs?

Things I've noticed:
Flashlight lit up whole surfaces.

It went from alpha stage to beta stage which is now. And this means that they are tweaking and polishing it. The E3 video shows the physics mostly and shows that the game is playable. It is said that you can play it from start to end without any major 'wrongs'.

Yes, they are probably going to fix such thing as flashlight. Haven't seen it tho.

Naw, I think that Valve is gonna overlook the bugs and release a bad game, which is why they have delayed it out the ASS!

OF COURSE THEY WILL FIX THE BUGS!!!! JEEBUS!!!!!

steam will fix further problems, valve said so already, regular patches will be given automatically by steam

Yeah, the flashlight of the beta, aside from a seriously overbright hotspot, was HL1 tech. I'm guessing they just reused the code for a temp. Even with a better hotspot, it wouldn't be enough. I can't imagine valve not implementing a more sophisticated technique that's at least on par with Far Cry's implementation. Hunting for the right surface to point your reticle at was distracting in HL1 and will be even more distracting with higher polygon counts in HL2. What's all this shader stuff for if it leaves you with a major inconvenience just trying to see straight ahead of you?

The only bug that annoys me is the shadow over a shadow bug. It can be seen in last years "Trapdown" E3 video and in this years E3 2004 video with the crane.

If you want to list the bugs you've seen in officially released media, fine, but no beta information or bugs from the beta, please.

Or how stuff like ricochets in the ground can be seen through solid objects. Eg mantee vs buggy in 2003 E3 vid.

Space Cowboy said:
Or how stuff like ricochets in the ground can be seen through solid objects. Eg mantee vs buggy in 2003 E3 vid.

Two points:

1. I am pretty sure that was a bug in the demo recording and it doesnt actually show up in the game itself.

2. I didnt see it at all in the latest video from E3_2004 :)

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Two points:

1. I am pretty sure that was a bug in the demo recording and it doesnt actually show up in the game itself.

2. I didnt see it at all in the latest video from E3_2004 :)

watch closely in the strider fight when gordon is behind the white car, you can clearly see the sparks from the striders bullets right through the car.

that bug and the shadow overlapping bug are two that i dont see them fixing before shipping the game.

Do VALVe trying to fix their bugs? ... ... i dont get it

Mr Neutron said:
Yeah, the flashlight of the beta, aside from a seriously overbright hotspot, was HL1 tech. I'm guessing they just reused the code for a temp. Even with a better hotspot, it wouldn't be enough. I can't imagine valve not implementing a more sophisticated technique that's at least on par with Far Cry's implementation. Hunting for the right surface to point your reticle at was distracting in HL1 and will be even more distracting with higher polygon counts in HL2. What's all this shader stuff for if it leaves you with a major inconvenience just trying to see straight ahead of you?
Firstly, we are not supposed to know how the flashlight effect from the beta...as it's illegal. So if we send them an e-mail about the flashlight, they'll probably say - "so you did try out the beta,eh?". Second of all, I think we should not judge bugs at this momment, only after we get the final product we have the right to complaint..that is if they haven't fixed them.

The biggest bug I want fixed is having a lights show through object for a couple of seconds before disappearing.

You can see it in the coastline video and in the E3 2K4 vid in the strider segment.

i think that bug where a flashlight lights up the whole area isnt a bug. they probably did it on purpose cause they wanna make it easier for you. Dont know of any bugs right now though.

- Woot 100 posts!

The most ugly bug is here since 2003 !
Man i'll go nuts if they will not fix the bug when u see a shadow in another shadow ! Like the crane scene in E3 2004 Demo ...

FFS this one realy is an annoying bug.

http://www.halflife2.net/image_files/screenshots/07.jpg
This is one big bug I don't like :D It appears our friends, The Combine, agrees with me ;)

Seriously though, I'm not very fond of the flashing effects of the lighting system that appear in the beginning of the new movie. Also, the shadows that overlap each other is pretty annoying. I also found a new place where this "bug" is very visible (I haven't seen anyone mentioning this scene anyhow). It's when Gordon is talking to the very first human he encounters indoors. He talks about how you shouldn't drink the water. As you can see, he sits on a bench (or something). The benchthingie doesn't cast any shadows on the floor at all. Only the sitting man's shadow is visible on the floor below him... It was a new bug for me at least :)

lans said:
Firstly, we are not supposed to know how the flashlight effect from the beta...as it's illegal. So if we send them an e-mail about the flashlight, they'll probably say - "so you did try out the beta,eh?". Second of all, I think we should not judge bugs at this momment, only after we get the final product we have the right to complaint..that is if they haven't fixed them.

well the scanner flying around at the start of the 2004 presentation acts the same as the flashlight and it lights up the whole train.....so no, you dont have to play the stolen build to know about it.

Yeah that's the same as I mentioned above. It looks horrible really :) Even if it could have a psychadelic (sp?) effect that could be cool in a way.

Xtasy00 said:
well the scanner flying around at the start of the 2004 presentation acts the same as the flashlight and it lights up the whole train.....so no, you dont have to play the stolen build to know about it.

I always thought that the flash got in Gordon's eyes so everything appears brighter.

tCh said:
I always thought that the flash got in Gordon's eyes so everything appears brighter.

im talking about after the flash subsides, when the scanner is just aimlessly flying around, its quite clear that the traincar totally lights up as the scanners light shines on it.

Xtasy00 said:

Ah, but you wouldn't know that the Scanner light produced the same effect as the flashlight unless you had seen it to compare. Which would be the flaw in your arguement :).

What I want 2 know is will the flashlight be highly directional like in FarCry. That really annoyed me. There was no light bar the circle in the middle. Highly directional lights might look good technical wise, but to me its just annoying. BRING BACK THE AMBIENT LIGHTING!

From my cool post in the stickied thread above:
UltimaGecko (with a Rick Ellis quote) said:
5. A lot of people on various forums are wondering about some parts of the E3 2004 videos. When Gordon is in the crane moving the crates around, the crate and the crane's magnet both have shadows and they overlap on the ground below (I'm pretty sure you guys would have noticed this by now), has this been fixed?
*** We're aware of it.

Doesn't really say it's fixed...but if since they're well aware of it, they're probably trying or have fixed it. Same with some of the other bugs (I think somewhere in the thread is a remark on the richochets through models bug too). They've probably fixed some stuff people haven't noticed yet...or something...

I don't think people will really care if they see a richochet through a model when they're running to cover for their lives :p . These are only things you really pick out during videos (although non-action sequence bugs should have a higher priority, since then you tend to admire the scenery a bit more).

the funny thing is, everyone cares about the overlapping shadows on the crane, but no one cares that the rest of the crane didnt have a shadow!!!

the "sparks through models" really annoys me because it was the first thing that stuck out at e3 2003, they said they would fix it, and it appears to stil be there.
very annoying

Lets face it, the idea is that they make the best game they can, I for one would never have even noticed these things if I was actually playing the game-it looks amazing-so I can't help but hope that they let all of you guys down and spend more time on the gameplay than recreating perfect shadows.

If you want perfect shadows, go outside :p

If you want a game play HL2.

Now, don't get me wrong, it'll be great if they fix it, but it's more likely that the lack of shadows for some things, and the flashlight anomalies were purposefully made that way in order to keep the engine efficient.

Be under no illusions, given the time and the will, most software developers (and valve certainly) could produce perfect real time shadow casting and so on, however for the measley benefits that such a system produces, the performance hit is too high to justify it.

Much better is the mixture that they currently have. Sure if they can find an efficient way to remove these effects, that's great, but I think people are losing focus on the fact that these "problems" were probably a design decision. Valve should have realised people would be doing frame by frame analysis of their demos, but they didn't. :)

Wilco said:
Ah, but you wouldn't know that the Scanner light produced the same effect as the flashlight unless you had seen it to compare. Which would be the flaw in your arguement :).

What I want 2 know is will the flashlight be highly directional like in FarCry. That really annoyed me. There was no light bar the circle in the middle. Highly directional lights might look good technical wise, but to me its just annoying. BRING BACK THE AMBIENT LIGHTING!

i should have reworded that, i dont actually know how the flashlight acts, i dont even know why people are saying the flashlight lights up whole objects/surfaces, all i've seen is the scanner in this years video lighting up the whole traincar.

You can legally see how the flashlight acts by watching the "wall" normal mapping video.

I think they're lying about the bugs and such since they haven't fixed the shadow and light-through-objects stuff since September, which they said they had fixed in like October or November.

The Thing said:
You can legally see how the flashlight acts by watching the "wall" normal mapping video.

You're right... and it IS HL1 tech

just a circle and it lights up that entire support beam when it goes over it

Harryz said:
The only bug that annoys me is the shadow over a shadow bug. It can be seen in last years "Trapdown" E3 video and in this years E3 2004 video with the crane.

That is true and it is pretty annoying!

I say...release it soon and if they missed something, or people start complaining about something...release a patch on steam. So we get to play Half-life 2 and fix it at the same time. :D

CrazyHarij said:
I think they're lying about the bugs and such since they haven't fixed the shadow and light-through-objects stuff since September, which they said they had fixed in like October or November.

last i heard regarding those two bugs was that they were going to look into them before the game shipped if they had time but it didnt sound too hopeful to get them fixed, i dont know where you saw that they confirmed they were fixed.

Yeah, looks fine there. Doesn't cast new shadows, but then it doesn't light up whole surfaces or get "caught" on objects either. Different from whatever is going on with the scanner. Watch it frame by frame and it doesn't look quite as odd as it does in motion: the light fades in and out and appears as sort of a huge circle rather than just lighting the entire train car side, though the circle is way too big to be cast by the spotlight from the scanner that you can see on the ground right before the train car lights up.

Apos said:
Yeah, looks fine there. Doesn't cast new shadows, but then it doesn't light up whole surfaces or get "caught" on objects either. Different from whatever is going on with the scanner. Watch it frame by frame and it doesn't look quite as odd as it does in motion: the light fades in and out and appears as sort of a huge circle rather than just lighting the entire train car side, though the circle is way too big to be cast by the spotlight from the scanner that you can see on the ground right before the train car lights up.

the flashlight won't cast shadows, only one light source per map, or perhaps per area, will cast shadows.

Would you see any shadows from the flashlight if it did cast them? Doesn't it project along Gordon's line of sight?

Just the spark decals or whatever they're called showing through polygons. The other stuff could very well be a part of performance concessions, but that is definitely a bug and it should be fixed ASAP.

Back