Do you think HL's story goes in the right direction?

Does the story go in the right direction?

• Yes, I absolutely love HL2 and EP2! It's much better than HL1!

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • I don't care. I like everything Valve gets out!

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I totally agree with you!

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Dunno.

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters

bassport

Spy
Reaction score
I am more and more disappointed by the turns the story takes after playing EP1 and watching the EP2 trailer.

I loved the claustrophobic surroundings and the fantastic story behind HL1. In HL2 the feeling didn't come back, though. And it didn't with EP1, either.

The trailer of EP2 looks like some kind of Vietcong meets Doom slaughterfest. I'm not really a shooter person who just wants to kill as many entities as possible. It's fun to frag a few things, but not just the whole time! Moreso, I liked the almost intellectual approach Valve took with HL1 and their appealing mixture of shooting, thinking, exploring and above all storytelling. Now it seems all about shooting as many combines and zombies (and whatever there's between) which look and behave the same all the time.

Who else thinks like me? Are there any other "semi"-gamers out there who like to be entertained in a more sophisticated way?

(The only thing I'm currently playing is Natural Selection, that's the one mod I really care about. Everything else is just shoot and run)

Well storytelling is good part of h1, but I and prabobly many other ppl dont care about that!!
I like games that have action!!! like F.E.A.R!!
I like that hl2 has great graphics and awsome shooting events!!
Storyline is the second on my list, I like the fact that I have a companion on my side that keeps me up to date on the situation, helps me and keeps talking to me and making the game more intresting.
But still this is an Action game, that means it must have as much action as possible!

Half-Life 2 has a more powerful storytelling than its predecessor.
Claustrophobic enviroments aren't directly related to storytelling and thinking, it's just a different approach. I think you're far too nostalgic.

No, I think they did a good thing with a decent change of direction.

Retreading Half-Life 1 may have been good for nostalgia's sake, but it's not good sequel material. Valve kept enough continuity while introducing new material. A transition most game franchises can't make. Plus, I think the expansion of the plot makes it for a far more interesting game than its predecessor.

But don't you have the feeling that the whole story is starting to be pretty "flat"? Whenever someone dies they take some mysterious dream and some vortigaunts who revive them (I bet Alyx dies and will be ressurected by the Vortigaunts).

The whole thing is becoming a common, boring piece of FPS the more they get away from the original scenery imho.

Disagree would be the first option, btw. :cheese:

bassport said:
But don't you have the feeling that the whole story is starting to be pretty "flat"? Whenever someone dies they take some mysterious dream and some vortigaunts who revive them (I bet Alyx dies and will be ressurected by the Vortigaunts).

The whole thing is becoming a common, boring piece of FPS the more they get away from the original scenery imho.

Since when have any of the main characters died? The fate of Alyx at the end of HL2 was a cliffhanger, just like the original. As for the vortigaunts ressurecting Alyx, you're making an assumption.

I feel the HL universe is richer than it ever was prior to HL2 (ie. go to alien homeworld and kill the boss). Seriously, if HL2 had gone in the same vein as the first game, I would have been very disappointed.

How on earth was HL's story more powerful? I remember running around an old rail system for miles, just to somehow end up at a satellite launch facility. HL2 had more direction. And, pray tell, how was it more intellectual? Some of HL's puzzles didn't fit into the environment too well. HL2's puzzles were better thought out.

HL was revolutionary for it's time, but HL2 and Ep1 have surpassed it completely.

Truth to be told, HL1 didn't had the story as fleshed out as HL2 did. The friendly NPCs were basically nothing more than mouthpieces during scripted sequences. Character interaction was non-existant save for getting them to unlock doors, follow you, stop following you, and the occasional random saying that didn't make sense. HL2 and EP1 have made major strides in this field which blows HL1 out of the water in terms of storyline development.

As for the preference of claustrophobic settings, that does not seem to me the way of the future. As a matter of fact, VALVe made attempts with wide open scenes back in HL1 with the Surface Tension and Xen chapters. However engine troubles back in those days ensured that hallways are the most likely places to travel through. The capabilities of the Source engine along with other newer generation engines have allowed the FPS genre to break free from these simple locations and move on to better ones.

Finally, one must keep in mind that HL is an FPS. Therefore one is expected to be fragging enemies most of the game. With HL1, puzzle sequences were more important because there were hardly any ways to create setpiece confrontations with standard enemies. Granted, puzzles still exist in HL2 and EP1 but now fights with standard enemies can now become somewhat climatic. Just look through the Ravenholm and Entanglement chapters in HL2 for example.

Let's face it, I could waste common HL1 enemies up to the Alien Slave without getting any damage. Any enemy can be dispatched easily if one can peek from a corner and shoot at an enemy without them fighting back, almost like Goldeneye 64 without the headshots. In the Xen chapters, I could even waste Slaves and Controllers with a mere Hivehand and only recieve one or two tiny scratches in return. With those things in mind, VALVe did good in destroying these shortcomings in their future HL games.

So long as the Half Life sage involving Gordon, Alyx, and the other main characters for humanity ends on a happy note, I'll continue to think it's one of the most engrossing (and best) storylines for any FPS I've ever played.

You seriously don't get much better than Half-Life 2. Claustrophobic maybe, but...

bassport said:
I loved the claustrophobic surroundings and the fantastic story behind HL1.
Claustrophobia isn't all it's cracked up to be. Ask people what their favorite Half-Life 1 chapter is and a lot of people will tell you it was Surface Tension. Their least favorite Earth chapters (because a lot of people hated Xen's jump puzzles rather than its scale) usually are stuff like On a Rail, Residue Processing and Apprehension, chapters that really upped the claustrophobia factor. In HL2, Valve simply gave us more of what we want (The City maps are Surface Tension-like), upped the scale to reflect the reality of the FPS market (Water Hazard, Highway 17, because modern FPS gamers like Vehicles and they shouldn't stay rooted so firmly in the past) and less of what we didn't like (Ravenholm and Nova Prospekt are still pretty claustrophobic, along RP / Apprehension lines but they're not dull and samey like their HL1 counterparts).

All in all, Valve did exactly what I'd hoped they'd do with Half-Life 2 and now Half-Life 2 episodes. They made it new. I don't want to play Half-Life 1 again. I played it to death and I see its weaknesses. They're surprising us whilst not being so utterly far-out that they're alienating any but the strictest of change-fearers.

Half-life was like the Matrix. They don't need to repeat the same thing thrice over. If they did the franchise would be ruined (again, just like the Matrix).

The problem I've seen with HL1 in comparison to its "sequels" is that HL1 was much more like a prologue or backstory than the first game in the series. Once HL1 was done, everything took a decidedly different direction almost completely unrelated to the Xen crisis.

If HL2 was a direct sequel they'd have called it "Half-life: The Combine Strikes Back" :p

Yes, I really think so. I love it.
Voted "Yes, I absolutely love HL2, EP1 and EP2! It's much better than HL1!".

Well, maybe you're right and I'm just being nostalgic. Nevertheless: I still don't think that the whole City 17 / Breen / Combine story is as new and special as the Black Mesa Labs were! Does at least anyone agree with me on this? The story used to be a techno thriller with surreal worlds and surroundings and now it's either a post sowjet city or a dull, badly textured "Citadel" with very boring inner life. If I "walk" the streets of City 17, I don't feel a certain specialty or transcendence like I felt in the Black Mesa Labs. If I'm in the Citadel everything's just black in black (ok, it's shiny, but that doesn't really make it more special). I think they didn't really have much new ideas with HL2, they just realigned themselves with other game stories, they made it more ... "main stream". It's just not that far out there anymore!

I think EP2 is going to be a good change of pace. I know HL1 was great but we have to leave it in the past now (I personally have beaten it somewhere around 6 or 7 times, and played countless singleplayer mods), it's time for the new and improved.

Over all I think the story is progressing very well. It isn't very predictable... that I like. The only problem I have with it is the continuing and growing focus on "main character" NPC's. Granted, we had a bit of this in the original games, however part of their charm was that none of the NPC's were important. You were the only one that mattered. It made them all equally expendable. Nowadays you know Barney, Alyx (prove me wrong! :D), Kliener, ect... aren't going to die. The rebels though are just there as cannon fodder.

Yes, love the direction its going in. One of the main reasons I play HL is to see where its going. The story is stronger than it has ever been.

Samon said:
Yes, love the direction its going in. One of the main reasons I play HL is to see where its going. The story is stronger than it has ever been.
Agreed. I think that Half-Life series has the best story I've ever seen in a game.

99.vikram said:
If HL2 was a direct sequel they'd have called it "Half-life: The Combine Strikes Back" :p
And EP1-3 would be "Half-Life: Return Of The Freeman". There's also the prequels including "The Slug Menance", "Attack Of The Striders", and "Revenge Of The Synth". :D

Well, maybe you're right and I'm just being nostalgic. Nevertheless: I still don't think that the whole City 17 / Breen / Combine story is as new and special as the Black Mesa Labs were! Does at least anyone agree with me on this? The story used to be a techno thriller with surreal worlds and surroundings and now it's either a post sowjet city or a dull, badly textured "Citadel" with very boring inner life. If I "walk" the streets of City 17, I don't feel a certain specialty or transcendence like I felt in the Black Mesa Labs. If I'm in the Citadel everything's just black in black (ok, it's shiny, but that doesn't really make it more special). I think they didn't really have much new ideas with HL2, they just realigned themselves with other game stories, they made it more ... "main stream". It's just not that far out there anymore!
Dimensional rifts which are exploited by "demonic" creatures have been in use since the days of Doom, and that's what HL1 was basically all about. I don't consider that to be original. Also except for only a few sections, Black Mesa mostly had the feel of a bunker complex which is essentially a realistic version of Doom enviroments. Most of the places not taken up by labs can be labeled as boring by some.

Compared to the above, the concept of interdimensional conquerors relying heavily on human collaborators for their occupation seems more original. Add the fact that unlike most FPS games, these invaders have been there for quite a long while and are not just in the process of invading. Sure we loose techno locations but we get even more realistic locations instead. I consider HL2 to be a success for breaking away from HL1's techno feel yet keeping the old game mechanics mostly intact.

Raeven0 said:
The problem I've seen with HL1 in comparison to its "sequels" is that HL1 was much more like a prologue or backstory than the first game in the series. Once HL1 was done, everything took a decidedly different direction almost completely unrelated to the Xen crisis.

That's precisely the problem I for one don't like the fact that it has taken a completely different turn. I wanted a direct sequel. I loved the atmosphere that was created in the original HL and that atmosphere just isn't there anymore. The story in HL2 isn't bad and it seems to advance well but I just don't feel drawn in at all, zero immersion for me.

Hypnosos said:
Voted "Yes, I absolutely love HL2, EP1 and EP2! It's much better than HL1!".

I neither hate or love the HL2 story so I voted not sure. It is true that it has more depth and complexity but I can't say that it's better.

bassport said:
Does at least anyone agree with me on this? The story used to be a techno thriller with surreal worlds and surroundings and now it's either a post sowjet city or a dull, badly textured "Citadel"

Yes I agree with you but we seem to be in a minority.

Redneck said:
That's precisely the problem I for one don't like the fact that it has taken a completely different turn. I wanted a direct sequel. I loved the atmosphere that was created in the original HL and that atmosphere just isn't there anymore. The story in HL2 isn't bad and it seems to advance well but I just don't feel drawn in at all, zero immersion for me.
How could you expand on the pure HL1 story then? A direct sequel would require you to fight Xen aliens again, which there isn't really any need for since you killed the Nihilanth and placed the Borderworld under G-Man's control for the time being. VALVe's first attempt at the HL2 story however was to have you combat Xen aliens on planets across the galaxy, but it was rejected due to difficulties in creating continuity between levels. Even those that enjoy the HL1 story more would want an important part of the HL1 storytelling process, right?

Yes I agree with you but we seem to be in a minority.
Indeed, HL2 is better off not being a mere rehash of HL1. People would get bored fighting the Xen aliens all the time after a while. Even now, a few people are bored fighting the same Combine enemies.

Redneck said:
That's precisely the problem I for one don't like the fact that it has taken a completely different turn. I wanted a direct sequel.

But it is. Everything in HL2 that is, is because of HL1.

Samon said:
But it is. Everything in HL2 that is, is because of HL1.
Yet the connection is small, indirect, and hidden away such that only the genuinely insane can hope to find it. D:

I liked HL1's story, and I like HL2's story. Both of them together, in the same train of thought, though? Ehhh.

Well, it is there. :p

I don't know - I felt the connection, and I felt it was a strong one. Sure, Black Mesa was 20 years ago but it was still fresh in my mind, and it is the last thing Gordon, as a character, remembers. Your former boss is on a big screen, your allies are spread thin - oh look, there's Dr. Kleiner, the guy who put me forward for the job at Black Mesa in the first place.

Or Ei, who sent you up after the resonance cascade. The Vortigaunts - my allies?

Everything started due to Gordons actions and he is now in the employ of G-man, who we all remember. Black Mesa shaped Gordon into what he is. I think both stories fit perfectly, its just Black Mesa is a tiny fragment of what eventually happened.

Well, I felt the connection is clear at any rate.

bassport said:
The story used to be a techno thriller with surreal worlds and surroundings and now it's either a post sowjet city or a dull, badly textured "Citadel" with very boring inner life.

A ruined city that felt "alive", and a towering monolithic factory felt new to me :p

bassport said:
I think they didn't really have much new ideas with HL2, they just realigned themselves with other game stories, they made it more ... "main stream". It's just not that far out there anymore!

Are you f'ing kidding me? :eek: HL was as mainstream as one could get, deriving it's plot from X files type crap, area 51 and (for crying out loud) Doom!!!

The special feeling in HL 1 was because you felt like you were living an episode of the X files. But guess what? We've gotten tired of the conspiracy theories now, and a trans-dimensional war seems fresh. (IMO, of course :p)

99.vikram said:
Are you f'ing kidding me? :eek: HL was as mainstream as one could get, deriving it's plot from X files type crap, area 51 and (for crying out loud) Doom!!!

The special feeling in HL 1 was because you felt like you were living an episode of the X files. But guess what? We've gotten tired of the conspiracy theories now, and a trans-dimensional war seems fresh. (IMO, of course :p)
Prepare to recieve a nasty farewell visit from Speaking Impairment Man (what G-Man would be called in the X-Files universe). The Syndicate doesn't like it when someone mocks their conspiracy. :cheese:

you have to keep in mind that half life 2 is, pretty much, a warzone. i mean the combine are trying to kill gordon freeman because hes trying to free the citizens so there WOULD be a lot of shooting. i also lovce the parts near the end of the game where urban warfare has been triggered and the citizens are getting there own back, its a brilliant game, no deniing it!

half life 1 got a bit confusing a some parts, like why am i here, or why am i doing this? the storyline is meant to be the way it is, if it wasnt, we wouldnt be here today. so what if the storylines twisted, its still one of the best god damn games you'll ever play!:cool:

rofl #8 i remember that chapter from half life 1..."On A Rail"

In reply to a post or two here...

The mood, or feel, or atmosphere of HL2 is certainly different from that of HL1. That's not a bad thing though. It was nostolgic and expansive, it was epic and emotional. I will mostly (and fondly) remember Half-Life for my very first play-through with a buddy of mine when both of us were completely ignorant to the goings on in the game. We only knew we were a scientist at Black Mesa and that we'd done something to cause aliens to teleport in. It was a fight for survival, the forces of which were surrounded in mystery.

In HL2 it didn't take as long to gather what was going on. You knew who most of the big players were. You knew (to a degree) what that mysterious man in the blue suit was, you grasped somewhat what the Combine was and what it was doing to Earth. In Half-Life2 you have a specific mission, where-as in HL1 it felt more like you were just fleeing.

I think Langolier hit the nail on the head. The thing I found particalary enjoying with HL1 was the feeling that you found yourself in a situation where you were not the centre of attention, but a coincidal participant. You didn't have an 'objective' you were just standing there like "Whoa, what happend? Let's GTFO and call the fire dept." Ok, in the end you end up saving the world, but it felt like that was you choice instead of going home.

In HL2 you're also planted in the middle of a situation, but no longer as a unsuspecting bystander. You're now on orders, first thing you see is Gman giving you your briefing: "Gordon, wakey wakey! The sh*t hit the fan again. go mop it up".
Instead or graduately turning to eliminating the alien boss instead of saving yourself, you are, right from the beginning, the lone marine with only destruction in mind.
I admit this is not purely storyline related, I just felt Langolier hit the right tone there.
:smoking:

Apart from the fact that you really didn't have a clue what your orders were...

Back