DoD 2

BWMASTER

Reaction score
I've been currently following a new game that will come out called "Call of Duty"

It is a very cool game which got me thinking what could happen to it if it was using the HL2 source engine.

It would become DoD 2 only with ragdoll physics and better graphics !!

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/callofduty/

Go there and scroll to the bottom. Download the 6 movie clips.

Now i'm beginning to feel how flexible the source engine would turn up to be and what modders can come up with.

:bounce:

that game uses quake III technology other then that it looks good

QIII is good engine but obviously fast becomming outdated for games you want to last in todays market

Originally posted by alb1221
that game uses quake III technology other then that it looks good

QIII is good engine but obviously fast becomming outdated for games you want to last in todays market

That's exactly what I was trying to mention.

Imagine DoD 2 on the source engine. It would be better than that because source offers more features.

The physics engine is the first thing that springs to mind...

pc gamer loved call of duty so im buying it QIII engine or no

but I have to say... next to its competitors in terms of modability and range of gfx effects it may look embarassing even if the gameplay if more fun then catching greased pigs

DOD2 on source = TEH DR00lzers!

I have to say the games im most exited for right now are

1. HL2
2. DOOM III (sorry doom bashers)
3. FARCRY

other then that there all comeing out in 3493804 years (amazeing upcomeing titles that is)

I wish they would introduce a medic class.

I cant remember how many times I was cought with little health and just wanted to scream out....

MEDDIIIC!!!!!

lol

pc gamer loved call of duty so im buying it QIII engine or no

but I have to say... next to its competitors in terms of modability and range of gfx effects it may look embarassing even if the gameplay if more fun then catching greased pigs

DOD2 on source = TEH DR00lzers!

I have to say the games im most exited for right now are

1. HL2
2. DOOM III (sorry doom bashers)
3. FARCRY

other then that there all comeing out in 3493804 years (amazeing upcomeing titles that is)

4. stalker (i dont wanna type the .'s in...)

im skeptical about stalker... I think it will be a good game for a single player run through... its rpg'ish

but other then that not to much has been said about it

well... after that preview I guess its up there now =D but not quite far cry level

Originally posted by BWMASTER
I wish they would introduce a medic class.

I cant remember how many times I was cought with little health and just wanted to scream out....

MEDDIIIC!!!!!

lol

True...only to be shot by a sniper two seconds later :p

It's the only multiplayer Half-Life mod i play, CounterStrike just sucks to me... though i dont like the extreme recoil alot of the weapons have while standing.. i mean realism is realism but theres a line :p

The only game i plan on getting is HL2, and i will never have to buy another game ever again.

Originally posted by Gordon'sFreeman
The only game i plan on getting is HL2, and i will never have to buy another game ever again.

Your not going to buy hl3?

well I guess you can save yourself system upgrades.

I'm looking forward to CoD singleplayer. So far they have not released any info on multiplayer which is a bummer.

In comparison to DoD 2, unless CoD can deliever exciting MP it has a limited life on anyone's hard drive. DoD 2 will just be so much fun on the Source engine.

I hadn't heard about this game yet (I'm always the last to find out about things like this). When was it announced? I looked at the trailer on the official website, looks very nice, very good dark atmosphere. I'm a fan of DoD, but haven't played it since 6 months or more. I'm downloading one of the 6 other CoD trailers now, I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I dont know about any of you, but I'm getting pretty tired of all these world war 2 games

Originally posted by FAK3R
I dont know about any of you, but I'm getting pretty tired of all these world war 2 games

...there popular because there a failsafe plot-wise I would like to see more orginality too tho

They already have the models for the wapon and clothes and stuff.

Why reinvent something when its alot easier to reproduce...

Originally posted by MrWhite
It's the only multiplayer Half-Life mod i play, CounterStrike just sucks to me... though i dont like the extreme recoil alot of the weapons have while standing.. i mean realism is realism but theres a line :p

its called controlling your weapon. In DoD I dont even use crosshairs, i use an Iron Sight pack i downloaded, and I still freakin own. One thing I dont like about it going retail is the influx on CS noobs who go "omfg wtf bs h4x0r u killed me 1 shot!!!.

call of duty will really kill any competition from other ww2 games.
Its done by the same people that did mohaa and anyone who played mohaa must agree with me that the sound and atmosphere was amazing. The feeling of killing was simply there compared to battlefield where theres no feel at all and the sound suck.

multiplayer has been announced , there will be objectives (like rtcw), deathmatch and temdeathmatch

its simply going to be amazing

I'm such a WWII freak that I doubt I can ever really burn out on WWII games. But it would be nice to see them throw in some new conflicts once in a while other than Desert Storm, WWII, and Vietnam.

im getting sick of BAD world war II games *cough1942cough*, but I cant get sick of the ones where the intensity is right there, knowing any second you could be dead.

I'm personally looking forward to some of the mod-remakes (no not CS2, Why won't you just die CS?). But I want change. I don't want HL2 to be "HL with better graphics/physics". I want new mods not just the same old ones we play in HL. Old mods would be fun for a while but it would get boring.

"It's the only multiplayer Half-Life mod i play, CounterStrike just sucks to me... though i dont like the extreme recoil alot of the weapons have while standing.. i mean realism is realism but theres a line "

HAH! Recoil can be controlled.

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
im getting sick of BAD world war II games *cough1942cough*, but I cant get sick of the ones where the intensity is right there, knowing any second you could be dead.

BF1942 is not bad, it's one of the greatest multiplayer games. You prefer infantry combat rather than tank battles and dogfighting, it's your opinion I understand because the BF refractor engine handles poorly infantry combat: there's always this laggy feeling, it's not as good as the HL engine when it comes to it. BF is a different experience that's all :)

Originally posted by BWMASTER
I've been currently following a new game that will come out called "Call of Duty"

It is a very cool game which got me thinking what could happen to it if it was using the HL2 source engine.

It would become DoD 2 only with ragdoll physics and better graphics !!

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/callofduty/

Go there and scroll to the bottom. Download the 6 movie clips.

Now i'm beginning to feel how flexible the source engine would turn up to be and what modders can come up with.

:bounce:

DoD is more of a fragfest, it doesn't come close to simulating real life at all. Your running speed is too fast, your weapon too accurate to come close to simulation the drawn pitched out firefights that took place in WWII that required tactics like flanking and suppressive fire

call of duty looks different than DoD because it seems more realistic watching some vids of it, where your teammates lay down suppressive fire and you go flanking around to lay some fire into the enemy squad

DoD and realism shouldn't be spoken in the same sentence

in fact, i've NEVER seen a half life mod come close to realism at all

I agree with both Para's comments. Games should never be about realism unless they are a simulation of something. If they are going for the whole half-realisitc half-game route then the gameplay should be more important. This isn't to say realism is bad, but rather that gameplay should take precendent over it. Thats why I've sunk so much time into 1942 and Tribes 2.

heh <insert flame here> good game!... sure its got its flaws but its revolutionary gameplay added alot to the community

Originally posted by )[eVo]( Para
Games aren't about realism.

yeah, but DoD claims realism

and when games try to portray a historical event and time, they should attempt to at least portray realism

revolutionary gameplay? Wow you can drive stuff! IM IMPRESSED. The hit detection in that game is an absolute nightmare. It uses server side only, which means you have to lead your target about a mile if theres any lag on the server. Not to mention the times when you wander around for 10 minutes at the agonoisingly slow running speed only to get bombed by a plane.

play the desert combat mod.... also you must not be very good if thats what you end up doing all the time :cheers:

revolutionary gameplay? Wow you can drive stuff! IM IMPRESSED. The hit detection in that game is an absolute nightmare. It uses server side only, which means you have to lead your target about a mile if theres any lag on the server. Not to mention the times when you wander around for 10 minutes at the agonoisingly slow running speed only to get bombed by a plane.

i've never experienced any of those things in BF

I personally would like it if it wasn't anything like the original DoD :s

play the desert combat mod.... also you must not be very good if thats what you end up doing all the time :cheers:

We're not talking about mods for WWII games, and I choose to become good at games that are good.

Originally posted by Doobz
i've never experienced any of those things in BF

That's odd because a lot of people have complained for the same reason Hudson pointed out. Lag is a tremendous problem is BF: I'm on a 1mb dsl connection and I still have to lead targets; a 100ms in BF translates into a 200ms ping in HL, that's how I feel it :)

But it's still one of the most fun MP games out there at the moment, I just love ramming jeeps into Panzers. :D

Thats almost a testiment to how good the game is, even with little hiccups and problems it's still an absolute blast.
And just for fairness BF1942 uses a combination of server and client side detection. (A tweaking issue with this resulted in the player eing able to nail the pilot in a moving plane.) And becuase of that system BF1942 lacks an real aimbots and other common cheats.
What was that topic? Oh, yeah. I'd love to see some motorcycles too, and I think vehicles that can use multiple crew to operate are a must.

Back