Votes: 26 11.7%
  • Yes, I think so.

Votes: 42 18.8%
  • No, I dont think so.

Votes: 91 40.8%
  • No, I know he hasn't.

Votes: 64 28.7%

• Total voters
HL is a game. Dosent have to be realistic. The HUD thing... Its a game, you need a HUD in a game... He dosent have a helmet on... The helmet isent cool, therefor he havent got it on.

End of thread... :)

Edit: Or maybe the helmet (Gordons anyway) is invisible! :bounce: The answer to your questions have been found yay all!

I liked the helmet.

Of course, it would have been a lot cooler if it also had a rocket launcher attached to the side.

CombineHarvester said:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't either OppForce or BlueShift feature Gordan running about? He certainly didn't have a helmet on....

Either way, it doesn't particularly matter, although that pic with the helmet does look ridiculous

That's true, but I'd be really confused if I saw a HEV suit guy run around instead of Gordon.

Absinthe said:
I liked the helmet.

Of course, it would have been a lot cooler if it also had a rocket launcher attached to the side.

dude, its not COMPLETE without the laser guided missile system! :rolleyes:

heh heh
maybe ur glasses get dirt and blood on them so you have to press a key to clean em off
although that would be pretty dumb

stop spreading your filth :thumbs:

We probably wont know if gordon has a helmet on in HL2 either.

I don't see how I even deserved those two posts.

Stop following me around like some dog craving attention. You might just get kicked.

If you have an issue, take it up with me in PM. Otherwise, sod off.

How would people recognize him in the first game if he had a helmet?

At first he wont have a helmet like in the train station but then Barney gives the suit to gordon I know this for a fact :)

It's this easy: In opposing force, when you first meet the controller race (right before Gordon teleports to Xen), you can see Gordon running into the teleportation portal, and he is NOT wearing a helmet...k thx bye.

Having a helmet would make most sense, and it would mean that they could include player reflections while keeping with the whole not-seeing-his-face concept.

The helmet is part of the hev suit, but gordon is too bad ass for that. He likes taking risks. Breathable air? Psh... he doesnt need that stuff, thats for wimps. He held his breath the entire time on xen, dur :x

i assume he wore a helmet in hl1, because of the HUD, and his ability to survive high doses of radiation.
they could tell it was gordon because they can see his face through the visor. the only reason they made the visor non-see through on the model is because it would look really crappy on a hl-1 quality model.

Why do people keep saying that the HUD proves he wears a helmet...?

It proves nothing. How many other shooters have HUDS....ALL OF THEM!!! Max payne has a HUD and he doesn't wear a helmet. Doom3 has a HUD and he doesn't wear a helmet. Every vietnam and WWII shooters have HUDs and they aren't wearing some futuristing HEV suit with holographic displays.

It's a game convention to have a HUD in a FPS game plain and simple. If they didn't give you one everyone would be screaming

"How will I know when to reload?"
"How much armor do I have left?"
"Am I nearly dead?"

The first mirror you come to in HL2 will settle this little argument once and for all. And if they cop out and don't show Gordons reflection I will stop playing and return the game - because that is the feature I am most looking forward to ;)

when you first pick up the suit in the locker room it doesnt have a helmet.

when you see him at the end of blue shift he doesnt have a helmet.

when you see him jump into the teleporter in Op4 he doesnt have a helmet.

when you switch too a third person view he does not have a helmet.

Which lead me to believe his glasses were very high tech. The US military really is coming out with sunglasses or goggles that have a "hud" That can show enemy positions like wall hacking. It's kewl stuff.

Spugmaster said:
The first mirror you come to in HL2 will settle this little argument once and for all. And if they cop out and don't show Gordons reflection I will stop playing and return the game - because that is the feature I am most looking forward to ;)

Valve have already said that Gordon won't have a reflection...

Look gordons a double hard scientist. He takes all those resonance cascade scenarios like a pinch of salt. He doesnt need a helmet, his face has been hit by more atomic explosions than youve had hot dinners.

It was cool the way you like snaped your legs or somin and the suit detected a fracture and pumped you full of morphine, well pumped gordon full of morphine and i dunno, put a splint on his leg. It also told you about this stuff. Its gotta still have all that stuff and more.

I want a HEV suit, jump off a cliff, snap my legs then role into some radioactive waste and ill be fine. Plus with constant abuse you dont even need the helmet after a while. Become a super scientist like gordon.

I'd feel more comfortable knowing Gordon had a helmet. But obviously thats not the case. With the new more realistic design of the HEV suit. As from the all of the covert art of Gordon floating. I'm curious as to what the new helmet would look(s) like. I'd like to see what Dhabih Eng has in mind.

You dumb bums... He doesn't need a helmet to see hud, he has glasses remember? His glasses are special spy glasses so he doesn't need a helmet. And, he has implants in his facial skin and lungs so he can withstand radiation. ;)

He doesnt wear a helmet. The HUD is projected onto his glasses :D

The_Monkey said:
I know only too well that this has been discussed many times before, but every time, there is always people that know that he had or knows that he hasn't, so I thought I'll make a poll of it. Please close it if it's found unnecessary.

He had a helmet in Half-Life, so I don't see why he wouldn't have one in Half-Life 2. He still has a HUD.

i say the game was made to make u think he has it on, it would talk to him when he's injured. but the gordon model in the game doent show him with it on..

QUiCKSILV3R said:
i say the game was made to make u think he has it on, it would talk to him when he's injured. but the gordon model in the game doent show him with it on..

The in-game model is clearly outdated. The model doesn't have glasses and it has a ponytail. Plus, it was never really meant to be seen by players. The fact the you have a HUD in Half-Life and the suits AI keeps talking to you means that you have a helmet. It really is as simple as that.

True, the HUD alone wouldn't indicate a helmet (most FPSs have them), but couple it with the suit's messaging system and the way that it makes statements in conjuction with HUD info ("Power. Fifteen. Percent.") seems to indicate that Gordon was supposed to be wearing one.

Why was he seen without one in OP4 and Blue Shift? They just re-used the older (and probably out of date, see above) models that were never intended to be seen by the player. Gearbox can be forgiven for making a mistake like that.

Also there's the matter of recognition ("Hey, there's that guy who was on the front cover of the original game!"). Also, if you wanted, you could say that in BS, they took his helmet off when/after they knocked him out, just as you could say that in OP4 he took his helmet off to speak to the scientist in the teleport chamber...

And the lack of a helmet in the HEV storage? Maybe Gordon carries it in an equipment bag of some sort, and takes it home each night :E. Or, it may simply have been in some sort of compartment behind the suit. The other suits had helmets, so Gordon's must have had one somewhere...

at the start of HL1 u dont have a HUD until u put on the HEV, so i imagine he would have a helmet too :)

Howcome the 170 who voted that they knew or thought he they doesn't wear a helmet hasn't said anything? Lack of proof?

The_Monkey said:
Howcome the 170 who voted that they knew or thought he they doesn't wear a helmet hasn't said anything? Lack of proof?

I think he has a helmet, because it's part of the HEV suit.

And by the way, there's a contradiction between those who voted that they knew Gordon has a helmet and those who voted that he doesn't. Someone's lying here

Earlier in this thread, somebody said that the HUD doesn't necessarily mean he's got a helmet on. It's simply standard to have a HUD.

While this is somewhat true, take in mind that the only time the HUD appeared was when you finally put the suit on. The suit also explains why you have the ability to take so much damage, and would thus explain why a headshot wouldn't kill you instantly.

OP4 and BS used the old Gordon mainly so that you can identify that it's Freeman you're occasionally getting glimpses of. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the case. Just a game decision.

As for why scientists are able to identify you? Well, that would only be possible with the helmet off, and I'm sure that every scientist you come across in Black Mesa has higher priorities than reading a name tag. I consider this a small little inconsistency that Valve made for the sake of just helping things roll along.

For the most part, however, I assume he wears a helmet.

Also, if you wanted, you could say that in BS, they took his helmet off when/after they knocked him out
Speaking of that scene, how could he be knocked out with the helmet on? Isent it a high tech helmet? If it is then he wouldnt be able to be knocked out, or would he?.............. Im lost lulululululu

Oh and BTW WHY WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT IT?!?!??? IT IS HL1, THAT SHOULD EXPLAIN IT ALL, THE HUD, ITS A FREAKING FPS, IT NEEDS A HUD!!!

Back