Dog's balls the @@@@

This is the sort of stuff I like the most in gaming. Just screw around a bit. It's like insisting on working with german weapons only in CoD, wich you have to scavenge from dead soldiers, and especially the special weapons, such as the fg42 & stg44.
Or like going to lenghts to take your car with you in halo (sqeezing it in a hallway, where its obviously not supposed to go.
Or like trying to climb as hing as pissble in UT2004.
Or stacking as much people on a plane as possible in bf1942.
Or building walls around everything you own in red alert2.
Or keeping the enemy artificially alive so that you can clean up all the tiberium in c&c tiberium sun.
Or keeping worthless stuff in your stash with diable2, just because its pretty.
Or preserving your pet vehicle in gta3 by repeairing it all the time.

I too dragged the ball as far as I could. Its just my little personal 'touch' , Valve determines what enemies I run into, and what weapons to fight them with. Doing something else than Im supposed to do, is strangely satisfactory.

Sorry for this useless post, but I really recognised myself in this. :rolling:

Yamadakun said:
Yes, I had this problem too: there seems to be an "invisible" wall that the ball cannot go through right in the middle of the trip. I'd like to know as well...

you can fire it over the invisible wall, try from the roof right before you get into the cart.

More rollerball hijinx

My experiments have determined that the rollerball explodes in water, or if it contacts an explosion. It does seem to kill everything in Ravenholm with one hit. I'm wondering if you can cheat and kill a strider or airship in one hit with it...

It's a lot more useful than sawblades, which often get lost.

The "homing" property is very interesting: It appears to lock onto the nearest living thing and keeps rolling at it, bumping it repeatedly. It will actually kill headcrabs just by doing this with a few hits!

The ball is also useful as a distraction, as monsters seem to prefer attacking it rather than you. Just drop it on the ground, climb a ladder, and watch the zombies (especially the fast ones) go gangsta mob on the ball while you leisurely pick them off from above.

Mr.Wotsit said:
The ball takes the fun out of using random objects that you find in the game.

In Ravenholm, I like using the gravity gun on those spinning machines to get them going nice and fast without having to turn it on at the switch.
i do that too :D

Heh, I took the first saw blade I found all the way through Ravenholm, before launching him ceremonially into a beam of wood, just before you leave the mines.

His name was Buzz... I will miss him...

Wow.. Someone help me.

And here's me just popping him back under his little pot (the first time round I fired him out of the quarry and DOG sulked so much I didn't have the heart to take it from him again:) )

Clavius said:
This is the sort of stuff I like the most in gaming. Just screw around a bit. It's like insisting on working with german weapons only in CoD, wich you have to scavenge from dead soldiers, and especially the special weapons, such as the fg42 & stg44.
Or like going to lenghts to take your car with you in halo (sqeezing it in a hallway, where its obviously not supposed to go.
Or like trying to climb as hing as pissble in UT2004.
Or stacking as much people on a plane as possible in bf1942.
Or building walls around everything you own in red alert2.
Or keeping the enemy artificially alive so that you can clean up all the tiberium in c&c tiberium sun.
Or keeping worthless stuff in your stash with diable2, just because its pretty.
Or preserving your pet vehicle in gta3 by repeairing it all the time.

I too dragged the ball as far as I could. Its just my little personal 'touch' , Valve determines what enemies I run into, and what weapons to fight them with. Doing something else than Im supposed to do, is strangely satisfactory.

Sorry for this useless post, but I really recognised myself in this. :rolling:

LOL, i've done just about all those things, in C&C Tiberian sun tho, I used to keep the enemy just barely alive and build huge super bases, that i knew could never be destroed, then id get sad when i realized id never know for sure lol

manipulator and ball just might be a nice way to do the game without any regular projectile weapons...

Thanks for some replayability!

I wonder if this that "emergent gameplay" that people are always talking about... hmmmmm...

Dog's ball tricks

There are many points when the ball is kept out by invisible walls, but you can shoot over them or go around. Weird.

The ball explodes when it goes below about 2 feet in the water. You can knock a few beams into the well shaft, then jump in holding the ball overhead, and if you land on a beam it won't explode. It is a royal pain to navigate the two underwater tunnels holding the ball at the surface, but it can be done!

As you move ahead, it's often easier to put the ball in a shed or corner while you fight so it doesn't get blown up. Friendlies like to shoot at it, and will destroy it if it takes enough damage.

The ball sticks to your dune buggy like a regular rollermine. Driving with the ball is tricky, though, because it sends periodic jolts into the car that don't damage you but cause the buggy to flop around like hip-hop hydraulics. Sometimes it's easier to throw it ahead and then do a turbo jump than try maneuvering with the ball knocking you off course.

I'm hoping to reunite ball and Dog later today...

Milkman said:
A guy on another forum named the rollerball "Frank" and he has kept the ball all the way to anti citizen one!

Can you link to this? I'm interested.

Thanks

Wow this ball makes Ravenholm extremely easy!
I couldn't take the ball past Father Gregory's church though :(

Did Valve give us access to this ball on purpose or was it a mistake?

It's one of them rollermines I think (those sticky blue thingies in ''Highway 17'') and Dog has it as his play-ball. Guessing they didn't count on people to run around with it...

It's different than the other rollermines

Dog's rollermine doesn't jolt you with elecricity like the other ones do.

And I think it should be named the "Neuteron Ball:"
NEUTRON, of course, refers to atomic science.
It's NEUTRAL, attacking both friends and foes.
And it's NEUTERED, referring to the fact that's it's a dog's ball.

Just call me a cunning linguist.

The word for one that attacks both friend and foe is not "NEUTRAL", but "BASTARD".

It's different because they clearly deactivated it for DOG to play with.

Back