Don't you just love crappy roads and drivers?

If you're tailgating someone that can move to the right lane, but won't, can't you just use the right lane to pass him?

I live in Edmonton Canada and I can safely say we have the worst drivers ever. Morons.
London Ontario has some pretty god-awful drivers. Red-light left hand turns, never giving the pedestrian the right of way at crosswalks, speeding through stop signs, multiple U-turns in a single block, rolling stops, straddling lanes... it kind of makes me glad I don't drive.

If you're tailgating someone that can move to the right lane, but won't, can't you just use the right lane to pass him?

Technically yes, but I know in some places you can get ticketed for passing on the right (I know, some cops are douches). It's more of an annoyance (and if they're going really slow, a hazard) if anything.

No offence but I'd hate to drive your car.

Heh, none taken.

P1000139.jpg

Love it or hate it, I don't care as long as I can drive in a way that is both safe and won't ruin it. I love my car and go to great lengths to take care of it, its just to bad that everybody doesn't take pride in their car and want to ruin it quickly.

I'll admit despite the negative that would be an awesome car to have.

BTW in that pic your fly is undone.

i would love to drive that car.

into a ditch.

I would love to drive that car.

Really? No offense, but the box scions were never really attractive. Then putting money into lowering it, adding new shiny wheels and *if you did* put a body kit...

Kinda ricey? You'll redeem yourself if it does not have a coffee can exhaust :p

Really? No offense, but the box scions were never really attractive. Then putting money into lowering it, adding new shiny wheels and *if you did* put a body kit...

Kinda ricey? You'll redeem yourself if it does not have a coffee can exhaust :p
no coffee can exhaust, the muffler thats getting installed is loud, but not that big. Don't worry Pitz, it'll get some performance parts too, a TRD sway bar and a new intake. Its mainly gunna be a show car though, and its not a *body* kit but a *lip* kit

P1000173-1.jpg

I'm tired, but somewhere someone asked. It is illegal to use the right lane to pass in USA.

You people are ****ing angry drivers (not everyone, some of you seem reasonable). Is changing lanes so damn difficult? If there's no car in the slow lane ahead of you that's the lane you should be in. If you're overtaking then go to the fast lane and move back to the slow lane when you're ahead. If someone's being an unreasonable asshole towards you then being an asshole to them won't help anyone. It'll only make them more angry and more likely to do stupid things again in future. Then again, it sounds like you have a lot of pricks over there. Drivers are generally cordial here and will often pull into the hard shoulder on a one lane road if it's obvious you want to go past.

I don't care how attractive it is, I just like the way it looks :p I've always loved boxy cars. Scions especially.

Is this an attempt to explain why you can't always drive the speed limit? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, if you think the roads wherever you live are bad, try Southern U.S. Plenty of primitive dirt roads to piss you off just after washing your vehicle. :angry:

Lime roads are the worst. I'd like to punch the wise ass in the nose who thought of the idea to lay lime rock, a base compound for asphault steets, all around rural communities. Probably some politician who lives in a metro area who never driven through the shit themselves.

Supposedly it's supposed to absorb water to keep the roads from washing out.

I don't care how attractive it is, I just like the way it looks :p I've always loved boxy cars. Scions especially.

Ahh, that's why. I could never get into the cardboard box look that has been coming out recently. I'd say I'm not sure why, but I have a pretty darned good idea. :p

You people are ****ing angry drivers (not everyone, some of you seem reasonable). Is changing lanes so damn difficult? If there's no car in the slow lane ahead of you that's the lane you should be in. If you're overtaking then go to the fast lane and move back to the slow lane when you're ahead. If someone's being an unreasonable asshole towards you then being an asshole to them won't help anyone. It'll only make them more angry and more likely to do stupid things again in future. Then again, it sounds like you have a lot of pricks over there. Drivers are generally cordial here and will often pull into the hard shoulder on a one lane road if it's obvious you want to go past.

I'm genuinely curious, I must have missed it...but when was anybody talking about being a dick on Highway roads. I thought we were ALL talking about city streets? D:

*EDIT* Holy shit, I just posted in this thread? Ugh, I'm more tired than I thought.

I'm genuinely curious, I must have missed it...but when was anybody talking about being a dick on Highway roads. I thought we were ALL talking about city streets? D:
Ye were? I thought I saw someone mention 60mph speed limits. Surely you don't have those in cities in the states?

Ye were? I thought I saw someone mention 60mph speed limits. Surely you don't have those in cities in the states?

I've seen 55 around here in town...so I do believe it is possible. Highways around here are 75.

What he said.

Tailgating and aggressive driving isn't on, but if it's always happening to you, you're probably doing something wrong.

I hate, hate, hate, holding people up. Fortunately this almost never happens, but one winter's night when I was coming down a very bendy country road I didn't know, I collected a couple of cars behind me and just pulled over to let them past. Couldn't stand having them behind me.

It's just courtesy all round, really. Not much to ask. It's not your job to police the roads by trying to obstruct people who want to go faster (which, as well as being dangerous, is extremely twattish). I don't expect or want people to actively get out of the way (unless it's a single-track road, in which case pull over ffs!), but I do expect them to leave a gap between the car in front so others can overtake if they choose to.

Filtering through the gridlock on the M6 the other week, a couple of twats on extremely wide, pannier'd up, Ewan-and-Charley touring bikes, couldn't filter for shit but wouldn't move in to let us pass. That irritates me too.

Some people get so worked up in the car, I don't see the point in it. Take opportunities, not chances...a good mantra to live by.

If you're going to slow, I agree, that's your fault. But if you're going the speed limit, why not be a good Samaritan and keep them obeying the law by slowing down :p

Really, if they can't pass me because it's a 2 lane road, and are riding my ass...**** em. They can wait.

If you're going to slow, I agree, that's your fault. But if you're going the speed limit, why not be a good Samaritan and keep them obeying the law by slowing down :p

Really, if they can't pass me because it's a 2 lane road, and are riding my ass...**** em. They can wait.

Yeah, there's no excuse for tailgating, but does it really happen that often?

Occasionally I get idiots attached to my rear wheel through villages (sometimes the same idiots that I overtook a minute beforehand because they were doing the same 40mph in the derestricted zone), I unassumingly hold the speed constant until the exact moment I pass between the national speed limit signs. Then without warning, kick it down into first gear and give it full throttle, and **** off far into the distance. Always immensely satisfying. :D

That said, people are generally really polite drivers around here. Dawdling, but polite. Which is all you can ask for tbh. I find the further away you are from a big city, the better the driving is and vice versa. Still, this volume of tailgating you speak of surprises me...

Wasn't there someone here who said they would purposely obstruct anyone they saw closing fast behind them, even if they kept a good distance? Now that's just stupid. Nothing wrong with going fast in the right place, whatever the law might say, and none of anyone else's business anyway. I respect town limits (doesn't necessarily mean I obey them to the letter, but I certainly follow the spirit of them), but on country roads it's as fast as I feel like without intimidating anyone else. I'm sure the cyclists on my commute appreciate me passing them on the other side of the road regardless of how fast I may be going.

Ahh, that's why. I could never get into the cardboard box look that has been coming out recently. I'd say I'm not sure why, but I have a pretty darned good idea. :p
I'm not gay :|

:p

Repiv from reading your posts, sounds like you would "love it" here.
Drivers here in general don't give a shit. If you're on a one track road and you have a slow truck ahead of you, you're ****ed. One time there was an entire convoy of cars behind one slowpoke truck.

One other thing that is extremely annoying is cars coming from the opposite direction with their high beams on. They blind you for the few seconds until they pass and they don't give a ****.

Repiv from reading your posts, sounds like you would "love it" here.
Drivers here in general don't give a shit. If you're on a one track road and you have a slow truck ahead of you, you're ****ed. One time there was an entire convoy of cars behind one slowpoke truck.

Yeah. See on the bike I quite enjoy it, overtaking stuff is fun. Passing entire convoys of cars at once is very possible if you pick the right place. But it would seriously piss me off in a car, even a fast car.

I've thought about getting a car for the convenience now I don't live anywhere near a big city, but I think I enjoy too much the freedom to travel at the speed I choose and not the speed everyone else chooses.

BTW, by single-track road, I meant they're as wide as one vehicle but the traffic flows both ways. So most, if not all, of the time it's impossible to overtake no matter how much power you have. We have a lot of those here. That's when I want people to pull over!

One other thing that is extremely annoying is cars coming from the opposite direction with their high beams on. They blind you for the few seconds until they pass and they don't give a ****.

Tell me about it. 99% of the time here people dip them, but not before they've come round the corner and blinded you for a second or two. Makes riding at night not much fun, even the dipped beams are semi-blinding reflecting off the visor. I spend my whole time flicking the high beam on and off so I can see if anything's about to come round the corner and then if so the brakes are hauled on in anticipation of being temporarily blinded.

I suppose these people don't really give a shit because they're going so damn slowly anyway that being blinded for a while doesn't really give them any cause for concern.

10/10 points for the subtle and uproarious sarcasm in the thread title.

Also, **** tailgaters.

I was doing the speed limit on the way home tonight on a single-lane road. Someone came up behind me. I pulled into the hard shoulder to let him pass and decellerated slightly. He drove past me and flashed his hazard lights in thanks. That's just considered common road etiquette here.

Keeping him stuck behind me would not have been doing anyone a favour. It would probably have just annoyed him and an aggrivated driver is much more dangerous than one (god forbid!) going slightly above the speed limit.

They advised against that in driver's school, as it would only aggravate the other driver and make him more prone to cause accidents. Even if you're driving at the speed limit, you should still allow him to pass.

You guys are crazy if you think I should actually pull over to the side of the road because some asshole is breaking the law and going far too fast.

You guys are crazy if you think I should actually pull over to the side of the road because some asshole is breaking the law and going far too fast.
You're crazy if you think pissing him off is going to help anyone. You seem to think speed limits are a moral obligation. I know many roads where the speed limits could easily be increased and still be safe.

i concur. a tailgater is someone who is basically saying "get the **** out of the way, you can't drive and your mother is a whore"..at least thats what i think

I always move over for speeders because I want to create the best traffic flow that I can and because by putting speeders in front of me I'm less likely to be pulled over for speeding.

I started doing this a while ago. Smartest and most win-win thing to do tbh

i concur. a tailgater is someone who is basically saying "get the **** out of the way, you can't drive but I'm going to make it so my life depends on you driving well"

Fixed

damnit, i hate getting fixed. there's never a decent comeback!

Yeah, there's no excuse for tailgating, but does it really happen that often?

Occasionally I get idiots attached to my rear wheel through villages (sometimes the same idiots that I overtook a minute beforehand because they were doing the same 40mph in the derestricted zone), I unassumingly hold the speed constant until the exact moment I pass between the national speed limit signs. Then without warning, kick it down into first gear and give it full throttle, and **** off far into the distance. Always immensely satisfying. :D

I did that once... not a good idea if you're driving a V8 truck... lost 20 bucks. :(

I hate tailgaters. That's why I put a hitch on my truck. i got bumped once from some asshole, so if someone does that to me again, I'm ****ing taking their front bumper with me.

I hate tailgaters. That's why I put a hitch on my truck. i got bumped once from some asshole, so if someone does that to me again, I'm ****ing taking their front bumper with me.

i second this notion

Well speaking of driving I just failed my test to get my license. Spent the entire night struggling to sleep only to get 3 hours and wake up at 9 in the morning for absolutely nothing. On that note going to sleep see all of you in hell.

They advised against that in driver's school, as it would only aggravate the other driver and make him more prone to cause accidents. Even if you're driving at the speed limit, you should still allow him to pass.

Nah. They can wait. They are big boys. If they are in such a rush, they should have left earlier. If they can't follow the laws at LEAST closely *Stay at least 2 car lengths behind* then they can shove off.

Back