Doom III Reviewed by PC Gamer 94%

Well they seem to be going more towards Singleplayer which is what im looking forward to , but multiplayer is a nice little addon, and i could care less if it does have only 4 people, there still some major fun in that

When it comes to DM and TDM I actually prefer 1 v 1 and 2 v 2 :)

(btw - did I completely miss Doom 3 going gold??)

kungfucheez said:
Well they seem to be going more towards Singleplayer which is what im looking forward to , but multiplayer is a nice little addon, and i could care less if it does have only 4 people, there still some major fun in that

Well it's the thing that makes it fun I think. I don't think it would be very exciting if there were another 31 people running around in that map, the whole point of those pretty shadows is to hide in them and stalk your victim. :naughty:

The game doesn't have to be absolutely finished. They'll send a copy out to the reviewers with a few bugs or unfinished bits with the proviso that it's just a review copy and so doesn't reflect the quality of the final game. Yes, I know it's kinda stupid but it's the way they do things. Future Publishing in the UK used to have a thing about not reviewing unfinished code but they changed their policy after they were badly beaten by other magazine publishers in the 'hooray we got the world's first extra exclusive review' stakes.

I dont know, when did the game go gold? Maybe they sent the gold version to Pc gamer

lock n load

I wonder what the MP is like... the review sounds sp only.

This wouldn't be the first time PC Gamer is wowed by pretty graphics. It's worth noting that their "Bottom Line" summary mentions nothing about story or gameplay, it's all about "graphics" and "atmosphere".

94% is so low, HL2 me think would get 90% minimum.

but after all I don't think PC gamers speak for all gamers. Its like they have their own view of think and gamers got their own views as well. So reviews is not 100% accurate.

Mountain Man said:
This wouldn't be the first time PC Gamer is wowed by pretty graphics. It's worth noting that their "Bottom Line" summary mentions nothing about story or gameplay, it's all about "graphics" and "atmosphere".

Great immersion can make a game fun you know. :)

KagePrototype said:
Great immersion can make a game fun you know. :)
Immersed in what, though? Great gameplay? A great story? Sure, pretty graphics can give you that "You are there" vibe, but without a good storyline or solid gameplay to ground you in, it can quickly grow old. This is why Far Cry wasn't as good as it could have been.

Mountain Man said:
Immersed in what, though? Great gameplay? A great story? Sure, pretty graphics can give you that "You are there" vibe, but without a good storyline or solid gameplay to ground you in, it can quickly grow old. This is why Far Cry wasn't as good as it could have been.

Well, I would assume immersed in the atmosphere. But I have to somewhat agree with you that this does seem a bit too much like over praising. Oh well, we won't know until we play it for ourselves really. :)

In the supported cards in that article it says that Geforce 4 MX are supported, but I thought you had to have pixel shader to work DOOM 3 and the Geforce 4 MX's dont support it? Can somebody help me understand this? Does it require pixel shader or not?

The original lowest specs stated you'd only need a card with hardware T&L, so I'd say it doesn't need shaders, though without them I don't think you'd get the normal mapping...

On another note: Cool. I hope the game's as good as they're making it out to be... Luckily for me, I might actually have enough to buy the game when it comes out...

Sounds like it'll be a corker! :thumbs: not sure if the MP is worth shaking a dirty stick at though. I thought I read somewhere that it only comes with 4 player MP maps! :O

-JeZ- said:
Sounds like it'll be a corker! :thumbs: not sure if the MP is worth shaking a dirty stick at though. I thought I read somewhere that it only comes with 4 player MP maps! :O

edit: nevermind im an idiot :O

Mountain Man said:

A good story can be a very simple one. Surviving and killing demons from hell is enough in this case. Take Aliens, super simple plot/story/script - great movie. Doom 3 is a game that would actually suffer from a multi-layed, complex storyline.

We all know what the gameplay will be, shit your pants in the shadows before unleashing an uber can of whoopass! Nowt wrong there ;)

HatRabit said:
i think youre getting confused with the maximum player amount. shipping the game with only four maps would be really pathetic :x

-JeZ- said:

Re-read the last sentence.

-JeZ- said:

HatRabit said:
i think youre getting confused with the maximum player amount. shipping the game with only four maps would be really pathetic :x

You are both confused. -JeZ- you can go read some Quakecon reviews about multiplayer, every single article is positive about DOOM 3 Multiplayer. It is worth playing.

HatRabit, the maximum player amount is not 4players. 4 is the default amount but it is fully scalable up to 16 i think. But i won't play in servers with 16 players.. You lose the slow, dark paced feeling with too much players. I find that 1 on 1 duel would be the best to get immersed.

This said, i really can'T wait for Doom 3, the countdown is set, 19 days left!! (or 20 i cant rememenber what day we are)

BirdMan said:
You are both confused. -JeZ- you can go read some Quakecon reviews about multiplayer, every single article is positive about DOOM 3 Multiplayer. It is worth playing.

HatRabit, the maximum player amount is not 4players. 4 is the default amount but it is fully scalable up to 16 i think. But i won't play in servers with 16 players.. You lose the slow, dark paced feeling with too much players. I find that 1 on 1 duel would be the best to get immersed.

This said, i really can'T wait for Doom 3, the countdown is set, 19 days left!! (or 20 i cant rememenber what day we are)

I never heard about 16 players max... i've only read it as 4... and I've read pretty much everything DOOM3 related and HL2 related

Infact, they announced at e3 last year that there would only be 4

Janet Reno said:
Sure, but you can only see 60.

People need to stop thinking you can only see 60 fps. Your just talking out of your a*s. People can see way over 60 fps. Tell me you cant see the difference between 60 fps in hl and 100 fps in hl if you dont go see an eye docter. Now try this tell me if you can see the difference between 60 fps in hl and 300 fps in hl. If you cant go see an eye docter and i mean seriously go see one.

MrWhite said:
I never heard about 16 players max... i've only read it as 4... and I've read pretty much everything DOOM3 related and HL2 related

Infact, they announced at e3 last year that there would only be 4

The Doom 3 game itself will only have a 4 player multiplayer game. However, the Doom 3 engine can support more players than that. I remember reading that 16 players should be no problem for a mod right off the bat when Doom 3 is released. I would imagine that they could push that number higher as computer s get faster.

People need to stop thinking you can only see 60 fps. Your just talking out of your a*s. People can see way over 60 fps. Tell me you cant see the difference between 60 fps in hl and 100 fps in hl if you dont go see an eye docter. Now try this tell me if you can see the difference between 60 fps in hl and 300 fps in hl. If you cant go see an eye docter and i mean seriously go see one.

You can only see up to your monitors refresh rate. That means if you monitor has a refresh rate of 75 Hz, you will not notice a difference between 75 FPS and 150 FPS since the frame rate is above your refresh rate.

blahblahblah said:
The Doom 3 game itself will only have a 4 player multiplayer game. However, the Doom 3 engine can support more players than that. I remember reading that 16 players should be no problem for a mod right off the bat when Doom 3 is released. I would imagine that they could push that number higher as computer s get faster.

Yeah, that was it... but until a modder does it, it's only 4

Abom said:
Next person to request scans will be punished.
Dunno if this is the same thing but I know a website who has posted the review in text?! Is that okay?

blahblahblah said:
You can only see up to your monitors refresh rate. That means if you monitor has a refresh rate of 75 Hz, you will not notice a difference between 75 FPS and 150 FPS since the frame rate is above your refresh rate.
That's not exactly true. Even though my monitor is @ 85Hz refresh rate I can still see the difference between 85 fps and, say, 200 fps.
See this thread:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24566

Alec_85 said:
Dunno if this is the same thing but I know a website who has posted the review in text?! Is that okay?
You mean like this one?
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=569099#post569099

Back