Doom III Reviewed by PC Gamer 94%

Abom said:
Next person to request scans will be punished.

Damn...chill out Abom. I did it in lighthearted way. I like you man but sometimes I think power kinda goes to your head.

I didn't ask anybody to POST scans, I asked them to email me them. HL2.NET isn't going to get punished for a private email transaction.

DarkStar said:
Damn...chill out Abom. I did it in lighthearted way. I like you man but sometimes I think power kinda goes to your head.

I didn't ask anybody to POST scans, I asked them to email me them. HL2.NET isn't going to get punished for a private email transaction.
You'd already done it once before, so I was getting quite tired of it. If you request them being PMed or e-mailed to you, more and more people will. I might as well stop it before it escalates to something much worse.

Abom said:
You'd already done it once before, so I was getting quite tired of it. If you request them being PMed or e-mailed to you, more and more people will. I might as well stop it before it escalates to something much worse.

Okay, sorry.

Pobz said:
I hope this is true, I've always been skeptical(sp?) of DoomIII, thinking it could be too focused on graphics and nothing else - if it got 94% then this is certainly not the case.

I can't wait :D

Yah same here, it might make me buy it earlier than expected :D

Damn, no pc gamer in the mail today. If you do have it, do they have new pictures of d00m3?

Abom said:

Does this mean we will get spankings? yaaaaay spankings!!!!!! :naughty:

I'm missing something here. Did the mods delete a typed-out review of Doom 3 here? If so, why?

alan8325 said:
I'm missing something here. Did the mods delete a typed-out review of Doom 3 here? If so, why?

It was copyrighted material by PC Gamer.

Yeah I knew the review was from PCgamer but I thought that only scans are not allowed here, but paraphrased info from the article is.

hmm, I'm expecting a 90+ minimal for HL2.

As for the 6800 comment, arggggg...

Abom said:

PLEASE! NO ONE SEND ME A SCAN! PLEASE! I BEG OF YOU ALL! DO NOT SEND ME SCANS! I DO NOT WISH TO RISK BEING PUSHISHED AND I CERTAINLY DONT WANT ANY INFO ON DOOM 3! SO PLEASE, WHATEVER YOU SICK SICK PEOPLE DO, DON'T PM ME SCANS!

alan8325 said:
Yeah I knew the review was from PCgamer but I thought that only scans are not allowed here, but paraphrased info from the article is.
True, but it wasn't exactly "paraphrased" unless you count the typos. :p

SubKamran said:
Originally Posted by Pobz
I hope this is true, I've always been skeptical(sp?) of DoomIII, thinking it could be too focused on graphics and nothing else - if it got 94% then this is certainly not the case.

I can't wait

Gotta disagree with you there. FarCry was clearly about a 80% game, graphics alone gave it the 90+ scores. There have been plently of games that focus on graphics and have gotten awesome reviews because the reviewers are blinded by beauty, then about a week later regret giving it high scores.

I remember when Unreal 1 came out I read a review that gave it a 98% (PC Powerplay) and there's no way in hell it deserved that kind of score. Plus, PC Gamer does go over the top, I remember they gave aquanox 2 I think 90 or thereabouts. I don't like to go on reviews because it's based on another person's experience with them judging it on their likes and dislikes, not mine.

Kazuki_Fuse said:
Gotta disagree with you there. FarCry was clearly about a 80% game.

It is? Oh, in YOUR opinion, right.

Kazuki_Fuse said:
I remember when Unreal 1 came out

As do I.

Kazuki_Fuse said:
I read a review that gave it a 98% (PC Powerplay) and there's no way in hell it deserved that kind of score.

Unreal 1 was a gaming revolution when it came out. Full 3d world and monsters, an engaging story in a twisted sci-fi roller coaster ride. You have to remember what else there was in the gaming world when Unreal 1 came out. I mean, sure, if you don't like it, that's fine. But to say it "there's no way in hell it deserved that kind of score." is a bit... (I'd probably getting trouble for filling this thought with the word I was thinking). Especially since MOST people agree with the top scores Unreal 1 got.

*edit*

Just realised I've been on these forums for a year now. :afro:

If HL2 gets a worse score I will feel really bad...

Pc gamer must have paid a LOT of money for that first review, seing that it's a really shitty magasine and all.

Adrien C said:
If HL2 gets a worse score I will feel really bad...

Pc gamer must have paid a LOT of money for that first review, seing that it's a really shitty magasine and all.
Wtf are you talking about? PC Gamer is the best, by far.

Top Secret said:
Unreal 1 was a gaming revolution when it came out. Full 3d world and monsters, an engaging story in a twisted sci-fi roller coaster ride. You have to remember what else there was in the gaming world when Unreal 1 came out. I mean, sure, if you don't like it, that's fine. But to say it "there's no way in hell it deserved that kind of score." is a bit... (I'd probably getting trouble for filling this thought with the word I was thinking). Especially since MOST people agree with the top scores Unreal 1 got.

Yeah, but...98%?!

I liked Unreal, but I could tell it wasn't the bloody second coming. It had a somewhat interesting story, granted, but this was sort of abandoned for large parts of the game, where you were subjected to running through endless corridors shooting the same damned enemies over and over. It looked great, it sounded great, but it just got boring after a while. It had a really atmospheric number of opening and ending levels, but everything in-between didn't really get the same attention, and just plain wasn't as immersive or fun. 98% is virtual perfection, and I'm sure you'd agree that it's as far away from perfect as it could get. Anything above 90%, really, was just overkill. Sure it was fun, but damn, 98%?! You can't agree with that! If you do, Half-Life must get the full monty, because that was a lot more consistent in the perfection department than Unreal was.

Top Secret said:
It is? Oh, in YOUR opinion, right.

As do I.

*edit*

Just realised I've been on these forums for a year now. :afro:

Looks like I hit a nerve huh? You can like Unreal 1 all you like, but it was no revolution. Hell, 3D had been out for ages before Unreal 1. Jedi Knight, Quake, Quake 2 etc. By the way, I just want to propose a question to you, why does a game like FarCry get a score of say 90+ when other games like nolf 2 get lower scores?

I'm quite aware that 3d had been around for quit some time. But nothing looked that good at the time (IMO). You guys should go back and read some of the reviews for it, a lot of them are basically. "OMG OMG OMG!" Hehe. And as for Far Cry, honestly, what was wrong with the game? It looks GREAT, the ai is a bit weird (Not stupid, just weird), it has insane physics, the MP was a bit lacking, but it was an amazing 30 hours of beauty and blazing guns. I can't recall the last game I played where I could snipe someone from over a mile away (Literaly) hop in a jeep, drive there, and 3 minutes later see that the bullet entered three inches to the right of the belly button, and exited around the spine. I realise that these are pretty much all my opinion. And that everyone has a differant one. But to flat out say it didn't deserve it doesn't really make sense. You'll read all over the internet that Halo isn't that great. It got too good of scores... it's overrated... etc etc And personally, I don't think it's that great. But I know it deserved the scores it got because... hey... PEOPLE STILL PLAY IT LIKE MAD!

I full agree with you Top Secret.

I enjoyed the hell out of Far Cry too - I'm not too sure what people have against it. It was one of the most fun experiences (if not slightly frustrating) I've had in ages.

I enjoyed it too. You made my point beautifully when I already said earlier that I dont go by reviews because they're based on someone else's experience and tastes. I agree that Halo was overrated, it was awesome in the outdoor bits early in the game. but it was repetetive in the indoor areas, and when you had to fight against those zombies and things, that was a downright chore.

All I'm saying is that graphics can tend to boost the score of a game that doesn't deserve it, everyone knows that. That's partly why I believe Halo got such amazing scores, Unreal 1 got such amazing scores and yes even FarCry got pretty good scores too. You might disagree with the examples I've giving but that's my opinion. And that ladies and gents is why I don't go by review scores. That's not to say I don't read reviews.

Back