Doubtful release date

september 3rd... hey why not.. think like an optimist and it will come..

Plutonium, Uranium, Germanium, Polonium...Alumin...umm?

I don't think so :p

It's so qwutesy how the Americans can't spell anything right... :LOL:

I was so attracted to it, I got engaged to one :p

Oh. and by the way:

1808 Sir Humphry Davy (Britain) established the existence of aluminium and named it. ALUMINIUM.

Say it with us now, AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM :afro:

In standard usage, American dates use slashes while European dates use dashes or dots. Ideally, everyone would accord with this and understand both. Putting the larger units of time on the outsides makes browsing easier. Rarely does someone look for a date without caring about the month, but they often don't care about the exact day.

Crusader said:
Plutonium, Uranium, Germanium, Polonium...Alumin...umm?

I don't think so :p

It's so qwutesy how the Americans can't spell anything right... :LOL:

The change is because of the syllables:

British: al-u-MI-ni-um.
American: al-um-I-num

'al-um-I-ni-um' would be awkward to say

Hehe, that has to be the greatest reason I have ever heard.

Next time I misspell/say something I am going to say that saying it/spelling it right was awkward :D

Well the American 'aluminum' isn't exactly a corruption from the British. This isn't a case where the British word predated the American one (when was aluminum discoverd and named? late 18th c.?). So it's not a misspelling even by a historical standard. Americans chose a different spelling because it fit with their pronunciation scheme better. If this had happened with the words inherited from British English, Americans would have less trouble with spelling the internal vowels of long words. For instance, it's typical here to say 'sep-er-ate' though our spelling is still 'separate': British pronunciation messes with these vowels less and so is closer to the written spelling. Then there are those wacky archaic spellings ('knight') which have nothing to do with modern English phonetics in any version of English.

Wow, you didn't read my earlier post at all did you?

It was named Aluminium (not aluminum) in 1808. So yup, the British spelling did pre-date the American. :)

Also that really isn't the point, it's just that Aluminium is it's real name, the name it was given by the person who discovered it. I'm not saying that it's a terrible thing that Americans spell/say it aluminum, I was just answering an earlier post to point out that you really can't make fun of british people for saying aluminium because that is its original name. It's not like we're being weird or anything :p

:sniper: Valve

I'm going to college this fall and I won't have as much time playing HL2 when they release it (finally). dumbass valve people said it was gonna be out.. what, last year? ~~~ i just hope they would get it da helle on EB shelf~~~~

Crusader said:
Wow, you didn't read my earlier post at all did you?

It was named Aluminium (not aluminum) in 1808. So yup, the British spelling did pre-date the American. :)

Also that really isn't the point, it's just that Aluminium is it's real name, the name it was given by the person who discovered it. I'm not saying that it's a terrible thing that Americans spell/say it aluminum, I was just answering an earlier post to point out that you really can't make fun of british people for saying aluminium because that is its original name. It's not like we're being weird or anything :p

My point is that I'm not sure 'aluminum' is a corruption in the sense that people couldn't figure out how to spell it. The audible word probably preceeded it in writing, so people correcly spelled a word that got slightly corrupted in the retelling. So maybe the real objection is that Americans mispronounce words from the historical originals. Is this surprising? :naughty:

lammmbda said:
:sniper: Valve

I'm going to college this fall and I won't have as much time playing HL2 when they release it (finally). dumbass valve people said it was gonna be out.. what, last year? ~~~ i just hope they would get it da helle on EB shelf~~~~

So you were planning upon failling your senior high school year instead of your freshman college year?

I really don't understand this mentality that people have.

"I'm going to college so I won't have time to play games."

That's rubbish, even during college you have enough time on your hands to play games.

you don't enjoy it as much...theres always the homework, etc...sure you have time. but the entire time you play you keep thinkging "Oh yea, theres a test next week, and I have that paper due in a few days that still needs another page...and what was.." etc.

iamaelephant said:
I really don't understand this mentality that people have.

"I'm going to college so I won't have time to play games."

That's rubbish, even during college you have enough time on your hands to play games.

Heheh, tell that to my dad...

"Right, you're going back to uni, and I want you to get all these thoughts about computer and books and movies out of your head..."

Quoted almost verbatim. He doesn't realise that the computer games, books, and movies (Along with these forums) were one of my major sources of stress relief last semester...

Back