Doug Lombardi interview from Japan

Originally posted by lhauert
HALF LIFE 2!!! E3 version - hacked and ripped by DaMasSTeR.zip

HALF-Life_II_CD1&2.iso

That's so funny, because the E3 show was only a demo movie recorded in game, no actual game was at E3. Plus, I doubt many people here are "in the scene", but that looks just plain ridiculous looking to any of us who know about how releases work ;)

I just wanted to note somthing about Doug saying that the game is finished. Think back to Fragmasters second video.

"Oh so you guys are like foreign or somthing, right?"
"konichiwa!"
"Oh so you can't understand anything I say! In that case, the game is already finished and we're just working on localization. HELL YEEAAAHHH."

I really don't believe anything Doug says at this point :dozey:

"system tuning and localization" is part of HL2... and therefore HL2 is not done. Same with Steam. He meant the single player and multiplayer of HL2 are done, but more goes into a game than that... like system tuning and localization... and getting Steam working right :p

Why are people here saying 2 to 3 months? It won't be 3 months for sure, as that puts us AFTER Christmas. 2 months puts us right after Thanksgiving and Black Friday, which they'll definitely want to be on the shelves for.

No, the game will be released in a little over six weeks, on November 18th; The 5 year anniversary of Half Life. So it's really not that far away.

off topic: how do you write it?? beginning or beggining?? thnkz for your pacience

Originally posted by UndeadScottsman
Remember, this is the guy who said we'd see it on Setember 30th a month before. He hasn't exactly earned my trust at the moment.
I say we start calling him Doug "It's not a lie, it's marketing" Lombardi.

Originally posted by MadsMan
Uhh, not sure what you mean there, but 500,000+ customers are already lost to STEAM. When HL2 comes out, that number should easily triple. And you underestimate the popularity of purchasing ove rthe internet. 500,000 people in under the first week of operation is a pretty damned good indication of it's potential. And remember, STEAM can appeal to international countries as well, not just America. Tons of other countries may not have as good a deal as we do. the idea of $10 Us dollars a month as opposed to say $80 in xCountry on the shelf is way more appealing. Steam's unification of the point of sale will actually boost sales in foreign countries. So your arguement is bottomless, and holds no water.

There are 500,000 Steam subscribers, yes. Not all of those people will be buying HL2 over Steam, if at all. Those people didn't necessarily sign up to eventually buy HL2, I don't think you understand that.
Subscribing instead of paying one flat price preferable? That's a matter of opinion. Certainly seemed to turn off a number of people here.
HL2 will be released on retailer shelves worldwide the same way it'll be released on Steam worldwide, so I don't see your point there.
And in many, many places around the world, broadband internet is hard to find.

Steam will have a good share of sales, but nothing major.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
I say we start calling him Doug "It's not a lie, it's marketing" Lombardi.

grow up.

So they miss a release date. Ever stop and think that they actually thought they were gonna finish the game at ECTS?

No, you just cry and say "they lied to us! they lied to us! I'll never believ you again!" :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Xtasy0
well it's not a lie, its marketing strategy all up in your hizzy biatch.
It's not a technical... Oh no wait, wrong thing.

Personally I don't think it's Doug's fault. I reckon it's those darstadly Vivendi folks.
I'm going with the conspiracy theories.
And I'm sitting here with a tin-foil hat on.

BTW Xtasy0, who's your avatar? Every time I look at it I think it's Didz from The Cooper Temple Clause (but then if you're a Yank you won't know who they are)

Originally posted by el Chi
It's not a technical... Oh no wait, wrong thing.

Personally I don't think it's Doug's fault. I reckon it's those darstadly Vivendi folks.
I'm going with the conspiracy theories.
And I'm sitting here with a tin-foil hat on.

BTW Xtasy0, who's your avatar? Every time I look at it I think it's Didz from The Cooper Temple Clause (but then if you're a Yank you won't know who they are)

tinfoil hat keeping the government out of your brain?

BTW, it's trent reznor. (and im a canadian)

tinfoil hat keeping the government out of your brain?

BTW, it's trent reznor. (and im a canadian)
No, I'm trying to keep Vivendi out. They're trying to brainwash me into believing HL2 was ever supposed to be out "In the holiday season", but I know they're lying. Also for some reason, they want me to love Big Brother, but I'm more confused about that one...

And of course it's rent Reznor - silly Chi.

I think Valve lost a significant amount of users to download HL2 via Steam. I was all about downloading HL2 if it meant getting it early, but if they are going to release it the same time as the retail version, then I'll just give most of my money to Vivendi.

well i want a box ;) i hope we get a demo tomorrow(30th) or benchmark

There will be no demo until HL2 is released. The most all we can expect is maybe some new footage and a benchmark. But, for me, I could care less if we get a benchmark or not.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
You first.

:)

Originally posted by alco
So they miss a release date. Ever stop and think that they actually thought they were gonna finish the game at ECTS?

No, you just cry and say "they lied to us! they lied to us! I'll never believ you again!" :rolleyes:

Originally posted by UndeadScottsman
You know, that doesn't even really make sense.. If anything, it will make Half-Life 2 sell LESS copies, since it will have been on shelves for a shorter period of time and there would be less to go around during the Christmas rush, whereas if Half-LIfe 2 were to be released earlier, those who buy it right when it comes out wouldn't have to contend with the holiday shoppers.

I mean, the people who are going to buy it right when it comes out will buy it if it comes out in September or December, no matter what. Meanwhile, the people who are going to wait until the holidays to purchase it will purchase it when the holidays roll around, not before. (Unless their weird and buy their gifts months ahead of time...) And since no retailer in their right mind would remove Half-Life 2 from the shelves after 3 months, there'd be no chance of them not buying it because it had already come and gone.

Seriously, DELAYING a game for a holiday release to make more money just plainly does NOT make sense, IMO. (Releasing something early is another matter entirly though..) I really can't see ANY major trend of missed sales caused by releasing Half-Life 2 early. Can you guys?

this is what i've been saying - and it makes PERFECT sense. the people who are saying it's delayed because valve wants more money are so idiotic. they say it like hl2 being out for a few months will make people not want it because it isn't the newest game on the shelves....well...half-life is still being played, FIVE years later, so i don't think a few months is going to make a difference, especially considering neither doom3 or halo2 will be out this year either. you're exactly right. i wish people would stop saying it's delayed to make more money...

The thing I'm wondering.. Do Valve really NEED MORE MONEY? lol
If Im not misstaken, Gabe can retire if he want...
Point beeing, delay for more money... well, maybe not :D
Although the developers wants as much as they can get, I think...

Originally posted by ilove64
I am now f***ing pissed off. The game is done, but we have to wait like 2-3 months to get it. Hey, I got an idea, instead of bull****ing your fans until a week before the release, just tell it to us straight months in advance.
Damn straight.

Originally posted by Ace

Ofcourse they want more money. Do you think Gabe pays his employees out of his own pocket? nooooo. The money has to come from somewhere to fund the development of these games, and it's ridiculous to assume that Gabe is gonna pay for it out of his own piggy bank. BESIDES we already said it wasn't JUST about Valve getting more $$, it's about Vivendi and ATI getting more $$$$.

He also doesn't want to burn his bridges with them... If it's a matter of waiting 6 more weeks, then it's not a hard decision. Just look at it this way, the more money they make, the more they can pump into their next game! Yay!:bounce:

They may even beef up their staff, and give more fanboys like me a cozy job.
:cheers:

Originally posted by Ace

The rich ALWAYS want more money, if not for themselves just to build a legacy (like building a new school of technology in Seatle or something.)

30 comes after 29...

really:hmph: Its 6pm 29th where im am now :p and was 12:30 pm when i made that post.

btw we dont live where u are.

All the Valve-bashing has to stop! Yes they handled it badly, but it's not entirely their fault! It's those evil Vivendi peeps. And the evil nVidia peeps. God-damn them all.

I refuse to play HL2 without swedish language support. ;) :D

Originally posted by el Chi
All the Valve-bashing has to stop! Yes they handled it badly, but it's not entirely their fault! It's those evil Vivendi peeps. And the evil nVidia peeps. God-damn them all.

Valve fanboys. Loyal to the bitter end. :dozey:

Originally posted by AgentXen
SO they delayed it because of the diffrent languages? They could have just shiped it in English! And then release the languages patch on Steam....

I bet it was due to some other gheyness, i.e game's publisher and so on.:flame:

Back