Empires Mod Teaser video

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
The highly-anticipated Empires mod has just released a video showing 8 minutes of in-game death and destruction on their forums (no sound, unfortunately). Pitching two of the titular Empires against each other in a no-holds-barred RTS/FPS combat orgy, the mod casts one player on each team as the general of his army, commanding his team-mates from an RTS interface while they run around in first-person. Somewhat of a rarity among mods, Empires has more bite than bark - the progress the team have made towards a release-ready playable version of the game far exceeds the hype generated. [br]
[br]</br>
newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]​
[br]You can download the video in WMV format here or by clicking on the Empires logo. Note that the pictures shown above are not new media - the video's the important thing. Like what you see? Check out the Empires mod website.

VERY impressive, just the shear amount of things in the mod and the execution looks flawless.
Really lookin forward to this one now.

Juicy video, wish it had sound though. :(

I'm still shocked that this started out as a mod for Battlefield 1942, They've certainly come a long way since then.
It seems that it was a very smart move on their part.

And the maps certainly give you a good idea at just how big maps can be on the source engine. *whistle*

wonder if this is a less compressed version of the one previously released on the forums (either way it rocks)

Empires FTW!

Looking sweet as ever... and I am still so impatient to see this released XD
Seems to not only be excecuted really well, but also like it's got something for everyone, from the FPS lovers to the RTS fans.

I still can't believe that this team didn't choose the BF2 engine for their mod, purely from the aspect that they would have probably had a hell of a lot less work seeing as BF2 has already got most of what they use implemented into the engine and the basic gameplay of BF2 and this mod seem somewhat similar. IMO it would have been a lot less work for them using the BF2 engine.

So double the respect goes to this team for sticking with the enigine that required a lot more work from them.

wow looks like they got alot in can't wait to give it a go.

WOW! is all i can say mad props go out to the team!

Wow.

I hope they make the maps a bit more uneven though. And I don't mean balancing, I mean with hills and stuff. That would give infantry a bit more cover than the open fields that are in that particular map. It would also make the maps look so much better.

I'm particularly interested on how they'll do the flight system with aircraft...

I mean it's been done in maps for Garry's mod and stuff, but they weren't very good.

It's looking awesome, and probably one of the most far-along-big-project mods coming out.

http://empires.cw-hosting.net/viewtopic.php?t=577&sid=2d7dbab755918314c29354dbcbfad49a

From that thread, also has extra info on the video etc.

This is only a teaser from a recent testing session. We're going to create a better video showing all levels, coordinated attacks, and more action. There are also some bugs evident in this video. For example, the vehicle weapons were very underpowered in this version against infantry which is why the tanks have trouble killing the soldiers running around. The driver even jumps out of his vehicle to kill with his SMG at one point.

It is looking great so far.

Hugh_Jazz said:
Wow.

I hope they make the maps a bit more uneven though. And I don't mean balancing, I mean with hills and stuff. That would give infantry a bit more cover than the open fields that are in that particular map. It would also make the maps look so much better.

you have the walls you can build, and deformable terrain, notice how when the tank blew up, that same spot there was a hole there later?

The walls look like they'd be extremely tedious to make.

xlucidx said:

the engineer can also build walls where he places it at point A and drags till he's happy, the commander will also have that feature aswell. (just wasn't added in yet at the time of the teaser footage)

*edit*

tehre is no deformable terrian. if you want the video again you'll notice the crater is there before it is blown up(hard to see due to compression)

omfg. :|

Definitely on my MUST ****ING DOWNLOAD list now. I want to play, now. The only thing I saw that I'd fix right away is the console messages... and the wall building seems to take too long, but wow, it's still so amazing.

:eek:

I've been following EMPIRES since it's debut on the battlefield engine, and I must say i've never been more impressed. Keep up the good work!

DESSTROYER said:
you have the walls you can build, and deformable terrain, notice how when the tank blew up, that same spot there was a hole there later?
It's about time somsone is using that ability of the Source engine...

pvtbones said:
the engineer can also build walls where he places it at point A and drags till he's happy, the commander will also have that feature aswell. (just wasn't added in yet at the time of the teaser footage)

*edit*

there is no deformable terrian. if you want the video again you'll notice the crater is there before it is blown up(hard to see due to compression)

I hate having to quote myself :dozey:

xlucidx said:
Ever played Emperor: Battle for Dune, anyone? Best. Wall building system. Evar. Video looks pretty shibby btw!

ZoFreX said:
Ever played Emperor: Battle for Dune, anyone? Best. Wall building system. Evar. Video looks pretty shibby btw!

Offtopic - That was a great game... didn't it build off of the mechanics of C&C?
Which would explain the pwnage wall-building.

Yes it did, the wall building was uber though - you just dragged where you wanted walls and it would build them for you, rather than having to build each segment or each stretch yourself. IMO the best game made with CnC mechanics.

Great mod,shite teaser quality though.

was mostly just ment to hold over the forums visiters, an official trailer is in the works.

Pretty crappy video quality. Can they re-release a higher quality version?

Back