End Boss???

You kill the enemy in time, 5 feet from the ground, the G-Man transports you to his location to congradulate you.

Verbal_Kint said:
I personally think it'd be cool to have the last fight be something like an aerial fight with the final bad guy. Like fighting with your enemy whilst falling from the top of that tower. That would be a rush. Don't ask me how you'd survive the fall though....but it'd be damn fun.

reminds me of that level from No One Lives Forever where you fall out of the plane

Verbal_Kint said:
I personally think it'd be cool to have the last fight be something like an aerial fight with the final bad guy. Like fighting with your enemy whilst falling from the top of that tower. That would be a rush. Don't ask me how you'd survive the fall though....but it'd be damn fun.

Interesting, you gotta kill the boss and steal his parachute, then attach it to your HEV suit and land safely at the bottom of the tower.

call me a noobie ... but do alyx and freeman have a thing??? :afro:

OK, the last boss in HL2 is and will be (and I know this for a fact) a huge billboard, flashing in large red letters this message over and over again:

SEMPTEMBER 2003

ACLeroK212 said:
regardless of what anyone thinks of far cry, i thought they did a very good job on the end boss / level. it was challenging yet not overdone with some super mutated gargantua of a boss.
Agreed. The FarCry ending was ace. Krieger was a bit tough, but nothing crazy like some other games.

Also, while the game was average to me, I thought Halo's race against time ending was very good.

Platinum said:
call me a noobie ... but do alyx and freeman have a thing??? :afro:
Only Freeman does. And Alyx has a thing for it...

Citizen 1150421 said:
i don't mind the tobe continued bit as long as the ending was worth the fight up to it.. .

nothing is more annoying then working your way thru the game and it hint towards a sequal.
ie: DOom 3, GC II, hitman 3 (boy i hope hitman 4 will be good this time)

thats what i mean, i dont want the ending of the game to be Freeman walking into a door, and sees someone and they dont say anything and it ends. Although, that would be ok as long as there was some sort of really cool ending, that made sense. After that a hint for a new game wouldnt be bad.

I'm probably gonna say that I think the End boss in this one will be G-Man, and he has some kinda mind-control thing that hurts you every few seconds so you gotta kill him quickly. Just imagination though.

ShadowFox said:
Agreed. The FarCry ending was ace. Krieger was a bit tough, but nothing crazy like some other games.

Also, while the game was average to me, I thought Halo's race against time ending was very good.

However, nothing beats the ending of Zelda : Ocarina Of Time

NO, no timed bosses. I hate timed bosses, but it would be nice to be actually be able to hurt the G-Man, damn bastard.

Hey btw ManHacks... you're darkmist88 on the GS forums right? Sup man it's Rectifier201 haha lol

I think just 'get out of the citadel before it crashes to the ground' would kick ass. Have hundreds of Combine guards everywhere, and just try to run by them as fast as you can while the whole place falls.

I hate it when the end boss is also the leader of something. I think fighting the G-man would be stupid, why the hell would the G-man be able to fight?! It's like any person with political influence in any game also can kick your ass. They wouldn't be trained for combat, so why would you they know how to fight? The person who we need to fight, is the G-man's (or Breen's, whoever you think the big bad guy is) bodyguard. We'll call him Jack.

A semi-good analogy would be some military game. Imagine, you're fighting your way through Iraq, dealing with all the terrorists, and at the end of the game is... Suddam Hussein! Great boss he'd be. They'd probably have to put him in a mech, to make it more realistic (but then why have some bad guy with all this awesome technology, why not just fight a robot?).

For those who've played it, I liked Fallout 2's ending. You escape the oil rig and fight the president's bodyguard. Now that's what I call an ending. Simple, but great. If only the game wasn't so buggy.

BTW, as of this day, I've decided to become a politician, so I can pick up the awesome combat skills that all politicians seem to have.

EDIT: another thing I like about the 'get out before everyone gets killed' levels is you can go crazy with your ammo. Take an RPG and fire at one lone Combine from 10 meters. Waste of ammo, but hella fun.

I'd like to see the second to last level be like a big war, and you have to fight like 20 striders and a dozen dropships and a whole bunch of combine :p

but then the last level will be some bad guy who wants you dead, and you have to elude and eventually confront (you can choose where in the large environment :p) 3 combine supersoldier assassins. just great AI is all i need, not a superboss.

how about the combine thought police get to gordon freeman and the don't kill him, but convert him. in the end he's sipping victory gin in the chestnut tree cafe watching the telescreen and knowing he loves BIG BROTHER!

bosses are a waste of space.
Run around in big circle with finger on trigger til it's dead. Just like in every other fps.

*yawn*

would rather have a 'Starship Troopers' style swarm of antlions coming at me for ten minutes. Kinda like the Pavlov level in CoD where there is no let up. :)

PatPwnt said:
I think the Combin Citadel is actually a transformer and you have to fight its final form. ROBOTS IN DISGUISE!

I think you better stop watching those transformer cartoons.....

Wiseman said:
I think just 'get out of the citadel before it crashes to the ground' would kick ass. Have hundreds of Combine guards everywhere, and just try to run by them as fast as you can while the whole place falls.

I think Valve would avoid any 9/11 allusions for a game released near the anniversary.

And MechaSaddam would be MORE 'realistic'? [are you being sarcastic?]

McFly, what's funny about the G-Man associating with John Kerry? Don't want to politicize this, but I don't see the implication here, for or against. [are you being surrealistic?]

CR0M said:
bosses are a waste of space.
Run around in big circle with finger on trigger til it's dead. Just like in every other fps.

*yawn*

Yeah, this is what I don't like. Bosses are made difficult by forcing the player to keep moving. It's a very cheap scheme. Most games make the huge mistake of making 90% of the game a perfunctory challenge and then including frustrating roadblocks which you have to try over and over again.

zackly. It's a cop out, something useless that developers can add onto the 'playing' time of the game, along with cutscenes. It's a cheat.

RTCW is the worst example I can think of, followed closely by painkiller. There is always a glitch in the AI you can take advantage of such as getting the moron stuck behind a pillar or hiding where it can't see you and shooting it's fingertip repeatedly until it dies.

Bosses are a redundant feature of old gaming styles that should have been put to sleep long, long ago.

Well being the only seroius person posting here lol i think it will be somewhere along the lines of you having to kill this unknown alien (which the combine are hiding). And this is like a cross between an alien and a sort of robot, suck as the gunships and dropships the combine use are like.

Or could be against G-Man, but he escapes and leaves you to deal with this beast.

It could even be Gordon's night on the tiles with G-Man and he gets back to his flat, and his mission , while pissed off his face, is to get himself out of his hazard suit and into bed without shitting/pissing himself/puking/or falling over.

The choices are truelly endless. . .

ok i have some information on the end of HL2..not much but some. Who wants to hear it?

what were those big green beaked tentacle things called in hl? they were coming out of the hole in the ground where the magnum is found and you have to race around switching stuff on to burn 'em to crispy cinders.

That to me sounds like a middle ground: a boss where you have to race around solving puzzles not just shooting and strafing.

the best boss would just be a huge titan thing, really powerful and really mobile, first you would have to escape the combine faciltity with alyx beofre it destroys it (its kept in the facility and let loose by the g-man) then you escape into city 17 where you have to tacticelly hide behind biuldings and stuff, after a while a load of npcs come to help you with rocket launchers and an experimental weapon thats the only thing powerful enough to kill it (before you were just annoying it) but you have a very limited ammo, and you have to go around the city and find the npcs or locations with the spare ammo (you wouldn't search, merely run to the location with it on your tail), all the while stunning it with your other weapons so it deosnt eat you, and there would be a bit were you have to run away in a buggy as it runs after you, alyx would controll the gun and you would drive and avoid obsticles, and maybe you could even swap round somehow. Then at the end you would have to kill it once and for all by climing up a tower as it shoots you, and when you get to the top you can jump ontop of its head and shoot it point blanc in its weak spot, then catch an air ride before it falls.

The you are treated to a walk about a bit with npcs while the story geos on, blag blah blah ending.

w00t.

I found the Gargantua harder than Nihlanth almost.

Only hard part about Nihlanth was the fact that he shot you into some weird area, and had to jump back to the top...

jonnyapps said:
what were those big green beaked tentacle things called in hl? they were coming out of the hole in the ground where the magnum is found and you have to race around switching stuff on to burn 'em to crispy cinders.
The tentacle.

ShadowFox said:
The tentacle.

Tentacles were quite interesting. They were peice of cake though. To get by that is.

What about those sprite thingys, that when you shot them or bumped into them, they sprung out like 5 feet and stabbed you. They were stationary though...

Mr Neutron said:
I think Valve would avoid any 9/11 allusions for a game released near the anniversary.
Ugh, I forgot about that. I really hate when stuff like that gets in the way of a good idea (imo). It's just like the petition to rename The Two Towers. The thing is if it was a bunker or something (anything that isn't a tower) that was going to explode nobody would care...but my point is a timed 'escape' level. You just backtrack as quickly as you can, so you already know the level, but your going through it in the opposite direction with lots of baddies that you either have to kill quickly or just ignore. I love timed escape levels :)
And MechaSaddam would be MORE 'realistic'? [are you being sarcastic?]
I was actually, but a lot of games seem to do that. Anyone remember
the boss for the predator levels in AvP2? He was some general guy in a mech. You'd think someone as important as him would have some super-trained badass assassin guy to fight in his place, rather than himself. That was an easy fight too, you just hit him once with the spear gun and he's dead (was on easy I believe)
Granted I haven't played that many recent FPS games, but I remember a lot of old games had guys in mechs *cough*Wolfenstein*cough*

Back