Enough with the Time Travel

gcomeau said:
It's coming through the portal, not space. Xen isn't even IN "space", at least not ours. It's in another dimension. The only question is how long it took to transmit... is that portal as fast as the one Gordon took to Zen or was it more delayed similar to the one Gordon and Alex took out of Nova Prospekt.

Evidence indicates the latter, since Gordon beat the sound there.

Then isn't that the ONLY portal we ever encounter through which sound passes? Seems rather suspicious to me...

Eejit said:
Then isn't that the ONLY portal we ever encounter through which sound passes? Seems rather suspicious to me...

If it is then it's the only portal we've ever encountered through which sound passes whather it's slow or instantaneous so what difference does it make?

And besides, how else is Breen talking to that Combine liason at the end of the game except through some kind of portal? I have serious doubts that thing was on Earth somewhere.

gcomeau said:
If it is then it's the only portal we've ever encountered through which sound passes whather it's slow or instantaneous so what difference does it make?

And besides, how else is Breen talking to that Combine liason at the end of the game except through some kind of portal? I have serious doubts that thing was on Earth somewhere.

Again, you've contradicted yourself. So yes, there is time travel.

CriYam said:
Again, you've contradicted yourself. So yes, there is time travel.

Well, that settles it then.

I don't suppose I could impose on you to show where I contradicted myself?

gcomeau said:
Well, that settles it then.

I don't suppose I could impose on you to show where I contradicted myself?

Sure.

Here you have the portal emmiting whatever is put into it at a slow rate so as you could be on Xen in time for you to hear the past.

gcomeau said:
It's coming through the portal, not space. Xen isn't even IN "space", at least not ours. It's in another dimension. The only question is how long it took to transmit... is that portal as fast as the one Gordon took to Zen or was it more delayed similar to the one Gordon and Alex took out of Nova Prospekt.

Evidence indicates the latter, since Gordon beat the sound there.

Here you have Breen talking through a portal in real time.

gcomeau said:
how else is Breen talking to that Combine liason at the end of the game except through some kind of portal? I have serious doubts that thing was on Earth somewhere.

Not like it wasn't a huge enough stretch with your slow portal theory.

But whether you or anyone else travels through time is still unknown.

CriYam said:
Sure.

Here you have the portal emmiting whatever is put into it at a slow rate so as you could be on Xen in time for you to hear the past.

Yes...

Here you have Breen talking through a portal in real time.

Yes... and the part where I contradicted myself? You're aware those are two different portals right? You're aware that we know for a fact that there are both fast (or possibly instantaneous) AND slow teleports right? Breen clearly would have been utilizing the former.

Criyam, you annoy me.

we've been talking about teleportation this ENTIRE TIME. what do you think a portal is? A portal is a pathway from one thing to another. A time portal is a pathway from one time to another. Teleportation is a pathway from one location to another - "tele" is taken from the greek word for distance.

We are arguing that teleportation and "forwards" time travel occurs in the HL series. You are arguing that teleportation, forwards time travel, and backwards time travel occurs.

Note that stasis is just another way of saying forwards time travel, even standing still is forwards time travel. There is nothing at all fantastic about that, but what is fantastic is going back in time and causing all kinds of paradoxes.

CriYam-

The portal doesn't indicate backwards time travel. When you enter the portal, you do not go backwards in time. If anything, the voices are time-travelling from the past to the present, in other wards forward time-travel. Backwards time-travel would mean that you'd hear voices before the event that caused them (like if you heard the g-man's end-of-game speech during the resonance cascade, the sound would be travelling backwards through time).

So where again is the backwards time-travel evidence?

Sorry for the duplicate post, but I thought it'd be more relevant here.

Back