Ep. 1 Worth it?

nofx

Reaction score
Im currently debating wether I should buy or not buy episode one 3 hours of gameplay for 20 bucks is meh. Im sure I can get the money back Im just wondering if it is worth the 20.

yes. It is fantastic, there are many new added features and entities. I would go so far to say its better than the original hl2.

I originally had some doubts about its quality but as theotherguy said it is fantastic and even better then the original HL2.

It is well worth your money, if you liked HL2 you wont be disappointed.

Yes but... really short... i beat it in 3 and a half hours. I think maybe they shoudl tone down the price... because if they are all 3 and a half hours, i mean, assuming there are 5 episodes, thats 100$ for 15 hours (around the play time of hl2)

Insane!! ****ing Buy That Shit!!

conflict.

Yes, its added to the story. i wont spoil it for you but it looks like they really meant to end it in the first and they come up with this crappy idea for the second. the gameplay is good i mean its not bad thats for sure. but i cant help feeling iv been ripped off. i mean they could of taken the original and seperated it into lots of sections and charged more for it. it appears as if they doing it this way to make more money. coupled with the fact you gotta pay for HL source and what they should of done if they wanted to charge is a black mesa source type addon.

When it was about to end ( i was just getting warmed up) my mate joked that that was the end and it bloody was. kinda reminds me of blue shift, good but by the time your dinners ready you done it.

Is it good? I cant say its bad. you will find parts of the game where they used to make it last longer.

Would I of braught it had I played it before?
Probably not.

What can i sudgest to others? Well if your a halflife nut get it but if your just a *not even a avid gamer its not worth the money for the gameplay you get.

Good

Dont get me wrong, that was freaking ace. But if I had known it cost £10 for >2 hours gameplay..I would of just downloaded it and played a cracked one.

You cant download steam games tho ;p

O rly?

*EDIT* I payed for everything on my steam list (which includes these games, just my friends dont pay for them)
You think?..when with friends we use cracked (cs) Source, cracked Hl2. Not talking about steam down here or anything, just downloaded from other places. (cough cough torrent, cough cough newsgroups.)

Took me around 4-5 hours judging from my start time at 1. HDR looked amazing. I wish hl 2 had hdr. Its worth it though. The ending was sweet, and so was the beggining. Really impressive.

I think Ill buy it even though next month it will probably cost like 10,00 or be included in some outrageous package for free

Ok maybe it was pretty good, last poster reminded me of the HDR..which was pretty good, the audio commentary said how they had to use different techniques to implement it, Which was also good.

it a nutshell its good. but not worth 22 dollars. which is what i payed in the UK via steam

I agree with Thumber. It was brilliant and well done, (especially enjoyed the lost coast style commentary) but not worth the amount paid for it.
This especially applies to me, as once ive completed a singleplayer game, ill never boot it up again.

yep im the same, i wont load it again.. prehaps if they implimented more weapons and a multiplayer feature to go with it it would be worth it. or what everyone would love is a game the size of HL2 and the addon which is coop.
theres a market there nobody has tapped into financially.

It's worth it just for the episode 2 teaser at the end :D
Well, seriously, I got more out of those ten seconds than of the four hours it took me to finish episode 1.
Anyway, it was really good, and as long as a game has the half-life name on it and is made by valve I won't care about the price.
Buy it!

yea i agree there but us in the UK have to worrie about price if you not born into wealth, then you allways gotta watch you money, we get taxed enough on so much that us brits are compelled to want a product that reflects the price.

Interesting responses. I haven't bought yet, and am now contemplating on when to do so - though I'll definitely be getting it sooner or later. On the one hand, I am very glad to hear that the quality of the content is on par or better than HL2. Heck, I think that content which is half as good as HL2 is worth having. But I'm a bit concerned about the length, how come you people beat it in 2-3 hours? I was kind of hoping for 5-6 hours myself.

Given that it has always been marketed as 5-6 hours, and the shortest estimate I've heard so far is 4 hours, I'm confused as to why many here are reporting 2-3 hours of playtime. If that's really the case, then the episode is a bit expensive.

OK, can you folks answer this one spoiler-free for me? Does Ep1 have any, uhm, graphically very impressive sights? Like the Citadel pod-ride or the end of Water Hazard in HL2. If yes, I guess I'll wait until I upgrade my rig to experience it in full quality. It's also my understanding that Ep1 has HDR, which my machine currently doesn't support.

Yes it does, All I'll say is if you have HDR on when your in the centre of the citadel.. well lets just say its quite impressive....

It took me 5 hours to complete. And considering I'm the type who likes to kinda rush through games, that is pretty good. I found episode 1 to be a great game, and a worthy addition to my favorite series. And for 17 bucks, what more could you want?

I liked it a lot. Took me about 3 hours and 30 mins and I felt like I was rushing through it. I plan on going through it again tonight on hard. What is the default setting for difficulty? I didn't check the setting but it seemed like medium difficulty to me.

When they throw a bunch of guys at you I tend to look for the quickest way to take them down rather than letting Alyx assist. I'm used to dumb NPC help. lol
I'm going to let Alyx cover my back more and have fun playing through the game rather than rushing.

EP1 is basically the best parts of HL2 cooked to perfection. The only people who shouldn't buy EP1 are blind/deaf people and dead people, because they can't enjoy it. It's about 4-5 hours long (or just under half of HL2's length), but it's full of awesome scenes, scripts and plot. To be honest, EP1 couldn't have been any better.

Yes, buy this it's sublime (I'm personally taking my time) but do so via steam as the retail boxes are a complete con (almost double the price compared to steam here in the UK).

Okay, just for the Citadel, I'm probably going to wait until an upgrade. The first playthrough, after all, is something you only have once, so seeing the game in all its glory on the first time would be most impressive.

0mar, how do you figure 4-5 hours is just under half of HL2? HL2 took me 20 on my first time through, and I honestly don't imagine how anyone could do it in 10-12 hours, unless specifically going for a speedrun. Oh well, I guess given that I tend to take my time with games, get involved in the atmosphere, enjoy the immersion and so on, it should last me 5-6 hours.

I'm downloading it right now, and I hope it's worth it. $20 may seem kinda steep for a 3-4 hour game, but $20 is actually pretty low for an expansion. Most expansions are usually around $30.

Anyway, considering how awesome HL2 was, and given the fact Valve has poured the last 1.5 years into this expansion, I'm sure it will be worth every penny.

Absolutely buy it. Best game I've played this year- hell, one of the best games I've ever played.

Solver said:
Okay, just for the Citadel, I'm probably going to wait until an upgrade. The first playthrough, after all, is something you only have once, so seeing the game in all its glory on the first time would be most impressive.

0mar, how do you figure 4-5 hours is just under half of HL2? HL2 took me 20 on my first time through, and I honestly don't imagine how anyone could do it in 10-12 hours, unless specifically going for a speedrun. Oh well, I guess given that I tend to take my time with games, get involved in the atmosphere, enjoy the immersion and so on, it should last me 5-6 hours.

I played naturally for HL2 and it was a little over 14 hours my first time through. My last time through HL2 was about 7.5 hours maybe 8. We just might have different play styles :)

BUY IT NOW!!11!!1

I haven't loaded it up on my own PC yet, but I've played the second chapter at my neighbor's place. It rocks! :E:E:E

I just finished it - short but ******* AMAZING!!!!!! Only dissapointment is that I have to wait for Episode 2 there was a brilliant teaser at the end of Episode one) and also that there was not enough GMan (ONE LINE!!!)

Its definately worth it. There's something about the first few chapters alone that make seem more like Half-Life than the whole of Half-Life 2. Its just awesome. I'm gonna go play it again.

bought and im probably 3/4 through it ITS REALLY good and engrossing the only part that annoyed me was waiting on the elevator in the dark i had to make a campfire ;p

Back