Episode One Trailer

That's a major part of the challenge in making this episode - Alyx's AI.
If Valve can pull it off it will be another jump and another bar raised in regard of friendly NPC behaviour and so far from the previews it seems good.

Yeah, just as long as Alyx isn't dumb as a brick and doesn't require me having to make sure she isn't getting bumraped by headcrabs, I'll be okay with it.

I definitely want this game. June couldn't come any closer, damn it.

Dougy said:
i realy dont get why that was so amazing to some people.

Alyx running around isnt revolutionary and 4 hours of her kicking zombies and other assorted supposedly vicous aliens..... is gonna get lame within 20 minutes.

Anybody care to remember why linear fps games dont feature NPC's that are with you 24/7?

Its becuase it gets dull and boring having to watch their ass all the time as well as your own.

not to mention the innevitable bugs with pathfinding.... or saving a game 2 seconds before some prescripted trigger happens and the dumbass npc runs smack into it everytime.

You are lame.

"Ooh, Entanglement was so dull and boring, eh. So is Follow Freeman. Ooh.

I understand kinda you feel animosity when NPCs follow you 24/7 (Daikatana...). But I guess you probably know how long Alyx is gonna be with you, seeing as you work at Valve.

Oh yay! That were so many inevitable unseen bugs in HL2 with the NPCs, yay!

And yes! The trailer had nothing exciting besides having dumb, dumb Alyx!

Woo! I totally see your point with loads of other people here agreeing too!"

Let me tell you again; you are lame.

Adabiviak said:
Yow - Alyx usin' some fine ka-ra-te skillz on those zombies! Kind of like bears. When most people come across a bear in the wild, they get a little sketched out. My ex girlfriend worked in Yosemite and after dealing with them for a long time, treated them like big rats - a nuisance to be shooed off. Looks like Alyx is getting used to dealing with zombies. (I wouldn't try to kick one!)

You haven't played SMOD ;)

Dougy said:
i realy dont get why that was so amazing to some people.

Alyx running around isnt revolutionary and 4 hours of her kicking zombies and other assorted supposedly vicous aliens..... is gonna get lame within 20 minutes.

Anybody care to remember why linear fps games dont feature NPC's that are with you 24/7?

Its becuase it gets dull and boring having to watch their ass all the time as well as your own.

not to mention the innevitable bugs with pathfinding.... or saving a game 2 seconds before some prescripted trigger happens and the dumbass npc runs smack into it everytime.

Maybe thats why Valve are investing in her AI? Yes, NPC's are lame most of the time - but they are trying to change this.

hmm i thought it was bit meh tbh, i watched it but didnt feel ''oh sweet'' or anything and then just went back to browsing :/

from the website
"Half-Life 2 not required to play."

good news for new people

"With Alyx at his side, Gordon must flee a city in chaos before the Citadel's final detonation turns City 17 into a toxic, mutant-infested crater."

Damn, wish the plot was a little better...but valve will def have some great, franticaly paced, level design, although im not too happy about fighting antlions.
My guess
Im guessing you have to re-enter the citidel to stop the self destruct sequence? Or else, why would you go back there if you ended up outside of it after the teleporter explosion?

Gman is probably going to pissed that he lost some power and doesnt pull all the strings, maybe his buddies come to bail him out? (valve staff hinted at the rise of a third power )

Overwatch become allies? i got that impression from some of the screens and movie. hey that wouldnt be so bad.

smokeythebear said:
from the website
"Half-Life 2 not required to play."

good news for new people

"With Alyx at his side, Gordon must flee a city in chaos before the Citadel's final detonation turns City 17 into a toxic, mutant-infested crater."

Damn, wish the plot was a little better...but valve will def have some great, franticaly paced, level design, although im not too happy about fighting antlions.
My guess
Im guessing you have to re-enter the citidel to stop the self destruct sequence? Or else, why would you go back there if you ended up outside of it after the teleporter explosion?

Gman is probably going to pissed that he lost some power and doesnt pull all the strings, maybe his buddies come to bail him out? (valve staff hinted at the rise of a third power )

Overwatch become allies? i got that impression from some of the screens and movie. hey that wouldnt be so bad.

You begin in the Citadel. Gman loses control over you and theres no stopping the self destruct sequence. You need to flee from the Citadel and evacuate the city before its destroyed. Episode 1 will mark the rise of a third power in the Half-life universe.

Fk me - what's this gonna be - 4 hrs of gameplay for $30.

Better off spending that on Club International.

whooooot

majormajor said:
Fk me - what's this gonna be - 4 hrs of gameplay for $30.

Better off spending that on Club International.

whooooot

You are very wrong. This episode is $20 with atleast 4 to 6 hours of gameplay (Gabe said it took him around 7 hours to get through it.)

This episode also comes hl2dm and hldm:source for free.

Do your math. Stop whinning.

edit: Fixed facts.

briandeloach said:
You are very wrong. This episode is $18 (pre-order) with atleast 4 to 6 hours of gameplay (Gabe said it took him around 7 hours to get through it.)

This episode also comes with Sin Episode One: Emergence (a $10 value) and hldm:source for free.

Do your math. Stop whinning.
Sin Episode One is a separate product. With preorder, it comes with the original Sin singleplayer and multiplayer. Price = $19.95 + 10% off with preorder

Half-Life 2: Episode One comes with HL2DM and Half-Life Deathmatch Source. Price = $19.95 with no preorder deal offered so far

Please check your facts before looking like an idiot.

Captain M4d said:
Sin Episode One is a separate product. With preorder, it comes with the original Sin singleplayer and multiplayer. Price = $19.95 + 10% off with preorder

Half-Life 2: Episode One comes with HL2DM and Half-Life Deathmatch Source. Price = $19.95 with no preorder deal offered so far

Please check your facts before looking like an idiot.

Sorry, I got the facts a little mixed up. Yes, some people acually mis-read things sometimes. Please do not call me an "idiot" for it.

-Brian

The trailer was beautiful. Seems like Alyx will in fact be crucial. Now I'm really anticipating it. I'll make sure to grab it early as possible on June 1,2006.

briandeloach said:
Sorry, I got the facts a little mixed up. Yes, some people acually mis-read things sometimes. Please do not call me an "idiot" for it.

-Brian
Apology accepted, non-idiotic being.

briandeloach said:
You are very wrong. This episode is $20 with atleast 4 to 6 hours of gameplay (Gabe said it took him around 7 hours to get through it.)
I'd say it was about five, six hours of gameplay. Really intense, and while the final third needs a bit more polish to bring it up to the sheer class of the first, I don't think anyone's going to be disappointed... ;-)

smokeythebear said:
I got this impression too. There is further evidence on the official website where you can see a screenshot depicting a group of Overwatch Soldiers teaming up with Alyx against an Antlion guard.
The soldiers were once 100% human so if the resistance gained the upper hand why couldn't they defect? Additionally, the basic troops probably are no longer receiving commands from higher up so they don't know what to do other than fight for their own survival. With the apparent arrival of a new threat that probably wants to clear away Breen's attempts at modifying humans and the overwhelming influx of the Antlion pests, suddenly the rebel scum don't seem so bad to the Overwatch!
:thumbs:

Doubtful. We've already seen screens in the same area with Alyx shooting at the soldiers. Its the same in the video - she is shooting the soldier. They are merely recognizing that the guard is the bigger enemy. The Overwatch are still your enemies.

Samon said:
Its the same in the video - she is shooting the soldier.
When is this? I tried to find this in the trailer and I don't know what you mean.

Samon said:
Doubtful. We've already seen screens in the same area with Alyx shooting at the soldiers.
I may be clasping at straws but if this is a screenie from a while ago then Valve may have changed their minds about the plot.

Cargo Cult said:
I'd say it was about five, six hours of gameplay. Really intense, and while the final third needs a bit more polish to bring it up to the sheer class of the first, I don't think anyone's going to be disappointed... ;-)
What's that, Mr. Cult? You reckon forum-goers would fail reading comprehension in a big way? How disgraceful!

Back