F*CK You Valve I Cant Play Half Life 2 Becasue Of Your Goddam Piracy Bullshit!!!!

A

ATI4EVER!

You have the internet right now.

Can you at last elaborate on why you couldn't play it. Surely there's a cyber cafe you can visit, or something, if you can't.

Also, wrong board.

Buy it and get a crack simple enough answer.

Or there might be a phone activation in place.

99.9% of people getting HL2 have the internet. Those who don't probably have a crappy computer or do not have a computer. Besides, you can just find an AOL CD that let's you connect for free, activate HL2, and quickly uninstall AOL!

One more thing: stop complaining about internet activation. It's better than relying on CD copy protection which is a joke.

I'm sure a cyber cafe will allow you to log in to STEAM and enter your confirmation code.
I believe that's how it's done.

yeah the aol idea is a very good one. just do that, if you don't have any other means of using the internet, like where ever you posted from. :)

InnerDemon said:
I'm sure a cyber cafe will allow you to log in to STEAM and enter your confirmation code.
I believe that's how it's done.
he's got a point :)
and if it doesn't work then i can only say 1 thing..
sucks to be you :naughty: :angel:

wel....I dont have a phone jack anywhere near my computer (wtf?) so that is why. I think the activation is going to be like winxps one. so i couldnt do it in a cyber cafe. Well maybe i can transport my PC somewhere to activate it....

Transport your pc? I personally thought that "activating" HL2 required nothing more than doing something as simple as putting in your HL2 CD or summet through steam.

ATI4EVER! said:
wel....I dont have a phone jack anywhere near my computer (wtf?) so that is why. I think the activation is going to be like winxps one. so i couldnt do it in a cyber cafe. Well maybe i can transport my PC somewhere to activate it....
You can just log into your account on another computer and verify the cd key :rolleyes:

ATI4EVER! said:
Can't you move your computer for an hour? Is it bolted to the floor?

Oh the agony of logging onto your account from some place with an internet connection. It's hard labor.

Yeah, **** Valve.

You wouldn't even have to move it really. Just go to a friends house or someone who has a decent PC, install the game, register the game, go back home, log on to your Steam account with HL2 on it, and then start playing offline

you don't even need hl2 installed to activate it.

Log onto your steam account (you cna even burn the fricking steam files to a cd and run it from a library) find the "add cd key" section.

Add CD key

Valve Authenticates

Go home, and now your steam account has hl2 authenticated.

SidewinderX said:
you don't even need hl2 installed to activate it.

Log onto your steam aco**** (you cna even burn the fricking steam files to a cd and run it from a library) find the "add cd key" section.

Add CD key

Valve Authenticates

Go home, and now your steam account has hl2 authenticated.
Well the problem is, that once he got home he would need to update his steam account, via the internet. Otherwise, his account would not reflect the verified CD key...I think :p

It shouldn't be that hard to find a place though.

skull24 said:
You don't need the internet to activate HL2, it just a rumor. I think most people already know this.

Here is a link: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/22/news_6111253.html :borg:
It's not a rumor that you need it for authentication...

Here's a quote from the link you provided:

"For security/antipiracy, each copy must be authenticated via Steam during installation," Valve's Doug Lombardi told GameSpot. "After this one-time (per install) authentication is complete, an Internet connection is not required for single-player and LAN games."

Did you even read the article :rolleyes:?

-Frosty- said:
It's not a rumor that you need it for authentication...

Here's a quote from the link you provided:

Did you even read the article :rolleyes:?

Some people are never happy. :rolleyes:

The question was "To be playable, the single-player portion of the retail version of Half-Life 2 will require buyers to be connected to the Internet?"

The answer is "Bogus"

If he were to activate it at a cafe, how would his copy on his computer know about it, eh? EH? IT WOULDNT! This is a problem for him. My reccomendation would be to get a really long phone cord, and an AOL trial CD - use it just long enough to authenticate the copy.

i know the feeling my uni's firewall prevents steam access but in the next couple of weeks i'm going to go bust some heads until they give me steam back

and that statement about not needing the net to use single player is bogus, i can't get steam to work as i haven't been connected to it for a while and it suddenly said i was now logged out, no more sp for me.

skull24 said:

The question was "To be playable, the single-player portion of the retail version of Half-Life 2 will require buyers to be connected to the Internet?"

The answer is "Bogus"
Yes, but you said that the part about needing internet to authenticate it was bogus :E
Busted!

you people arent thinking properly. if he activates it on some computer and goes home and installs it, theres no way that HIS COMEPUTER, WHICH ISNT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET could know that it was already activated. it wil just say "please activate half life 2 to play"

think a little bit before you flame him you assholes.

ATI4EVER! said:

Yes, transport your pc nearer the phone jack...

To carry on from Parrot of Doom:

Modem - Ten Pounds
AOL free trial - Lying around your house somewhere
Moving your computer nearer to a phone socket - Back pains
Getting to actually play Half-life 2 - Priceless
Some things in life you can't buy, for everything else, there's common sense.

:p

Phoneline + cheapass modem + AOL free CD = no excuses.

edit: yeah and since 100 other people have said the same thing i hope you get the drift :p

Also, since everyone seems to be obsessed with this, you DON'T NEED AOL if you live in the UK. Most free access sites don't require software installation here
I recommend freeola.net - look up their emergency internet access method - an 0845 (local call) number without passwords. Excellent for the desperado who needs HL2.

just get a really long phone cable and an AOL cd

thats all you need without moving your PC

Everybody i know with a PC has at least a 56k connection.

hell even my old work wich was a pure BS company installed modems in every customers pc's as standard.

If you aint got net access then you cant realy bitch, its like moaning cos you dont have a gfx card.

anyhow... *strokes 3mb cable connection*

"muhahahahahh" :thumbs:

skull24 said:

The answer is "Bogus"
Yes, but an internet connection is still required for authentication, like Rimmer said :)

The Brew Master said:
but to authenticate HL2 do i need a steam account,cause i dont have one.

Steam accounts aren't all that hard to get...

The Brew Master said:
but to authenticate HL2 do i need a steam account,cause i dont have one.

You'll be prompted to create one on install.

Back