Half Life 2 will require online activation

Steam is buggy?

I havent had any problem with it for over a year now.

GET AN AOL ACCOUNT!!!

You can cancel before the free month/hours are up.

UKchaos2 said:
This wins the thread. Blunt, but true.

Nap it does not. It costs CA$H to do buy a modem and get some phone service for internet.

Someone in Valve dropped the ball who's playing the "product management" role (marketing + product definition, usually dominated by CEO whims and Sales people's "gotta have this now" attitudes).

FERMAT HAT ON (ala Fermat's last theorem)
It can be scientifically proven that due to Valve's lack of a solution for these distribution problems, Valve will lose customers, will incur people returning the product to the purchaser, and will decrease the regard which their existing customers hold them.
FERMAT HAT OFF

I think this.

Nap it does not. It costs CA$H to do buy a modem and get some phone service for internet.

See this is the equivalent of compaining because you have to buy a new graphics card. Wake up and accept that PC gaming is an expensive hobby.

CA$H to do buy a modem and get

oh **** that, you have to be stupid to buy a 56Gay modem.

i have 6 laying around as i speak, i break them for the hell of it, and give them away to random people, seriously.

ask some computer geeks for a 56k modem i'm sure they will throw like 100 at you just to get rid of em.

no over-exaduration in that.

Linki said:
"This is for authentication/anti-piracy purposes."

It's a shame, the very thing they've implemented to prevent piracy actually pushes me to pirate this game.

SAME HERE BRO HELL YEAH 4:20 SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY :rolling:

Just in news

I asked and they answered, kool and thanks agian Yahn you the man!

Yes, you need it to activate the product, but if you only want to play single player, then you won't need it after activation.

Yahn

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 1:57 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: This is making me crazy, please answer this question

Do you need an internet connetion to active or authenticat Half-Life 2 in anyway?

skull24 said:
I asked and they answered, kool and thanks agian Yahn you the man!

Yes, you need it to activate the product, but if you only want to play single player, then you won't need it after activation.

Yahn

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 1:57 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: This is making me crazy, please answer this question

Do you need an internet connetion to active or authenticat Half-Life 2 in anyway?

Not that it matters to me in regards to an internet connection, but that's a legit answer, right?

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread but for those people blaming the fact of the activation, what do you prefer?

- Once time online activation.
- Get a secure untouchable steam account.

or

- Anti-copy protection like starforce 3, so you cant backup your own game (without ilegal interest) and 30% of people having problems even using the original cds/dvd.
- Unsecure CD Key that other people can find using a key generator. I experienced this in HL1, won.net servers didn't authentificate me while other people was playing with my real cdkey, and finally bored I had to search another key :angry:

|_HeLL_| said:
Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread but for those people blaming the fact of the activation, what do you prefer?
First thing, are we sure HL2 doesn't come with Starforce/whatever protection anyway? Perhaps there would be no point, but it's down to the publisher.

I'd have preferred either a) a UT2K4 like system where cd-keys are validated for online play or b) the possibility of validating your installation from another PC without HL2 on it (run SteamValidator.exe which would create a license file, take this information to any Internet PC to authenticate your platform).

koopa said:
First thing, are we sure HL2 doesn't come with Starforce/whatever protection anyway? Perhaps there would be no point, but it's down to the publisher.

I'd have preferred either a) a UT2K4 like system where cd-keys are validated for online play or b) the possibility of validating your installation from another PC without HL2 on it (run SteamValidator.exe which would create a license file, take this information to any Internet PC to authenticate your platform).

Well, there are very few people without internet who have a good enough computer to run HL², that first =P

Secondly, I wanna bet HL² has alot of additional cd protection software on it, be it StarForce, be it something else... Online activation is just a better way, since it's HARDER to get cracked. (Not impossible)

And euhm, I kinda like the idea of being able to create a license file to run it... However that would leave more oppertunity to hack stuff, since if you could recreate such a program, you could activate non-legal copies...

Sucky Ducky said:
Well, there are very few people without internet who have a good enough computer to run HL², that first =P
I don't agree with you there. If you've bought a computer in the past few years, it's probably good enough to run HL2. There's a lot of the 'Walmart' customers out there - people who'd pick the game up for having a pretty box but who wouldn't necessarily have net connections. I acknowledge that most HL2 players will have internet, but the number of people who still don't (or can't) have net connections is higher than most forumers would think.

So... they will try to force me to register the game via internet. If not registered the game wont play. Do i get this right? Is this correct?

... ok ... i wont register for a single thing over the internet except forums and such, and always try to keep things anon. And now i have will have to register a game that i am going to pay for, activate it over an internet connection. ... ... ok ... **** you valve .... im not going to ****ing register ****ing shit with you ****ers, you delayed the game so much that i seriously thought about pirating this title just out of pure spite!

Now i am ... im not going to buy this ****ing game, im going to download it as soon as i find a copy of it, cracked, ready to install and play, for free. register with you? **** you Doug.

EDIT: Ok.. i will buy it ... but as soon as the crack comes out ill use it. Sorry for the "****"`s but i wont register squat with you guys.

Back