Far Cry 2 announced teaser site up

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
http://farcry.uk.ubi.com/teaser/

no info whatsoever but judging from the teaser it's set in africa ...just hope they focus less on stupid monsters and just stick with sandbox type open ended combat, that's where Far Cry shined ..all else was just standard shooter stuff

I think the open-ended nature of the jungle worked for Far Cry, but I think this time they need to actually do more than the 'place enemies in front of the player' that they did with Far Cry (and indeed all other shooters).

The Xbox Far cry (Instincts) was actually alot better than the PC version, despite many faults. Hopefully they can do the same with this sequel.

No trigens PLEEEEEASE! Looks... nice but I shall not be fooled by nice looks.:devil: I would also like it more story-driven because in Far Cry nothing happened for so long until the end.

I think the open-ended nature of the jungle worked for Far Cry, but I think this time they need to actually do more than the 'place enemies in front of the player' that they did with Far Cry (and indeed all other shooters).

at the time I spent far too much time just sneaking up on them ..I prefected the "drop from hundreds of feet from the hangglider and shoot badguy a few feet before hitting ground: hilarity ensued

so ya they need to inject some purpose in their cuz Far Cry 2 plot wise was horrid

The Xbox Far cry (Instincts) was actually alot better than the PC version, despite many faults. Hopefully they can do the same with this sequel.

ya it was ok ..still, I spent far too much time playing the first far cry demo ..the game itself wasnt the greatest but the beach level was tons of fun imho

so ya they need to inject some purpose in their cuz Far Cry 2 plot wise was horrid

I meant more in terms of gameplay. Less 'shoot the bad guys and that's it'.

ya it was ok ..still, I spent far too much time playing the first far cry demo ..the game itself wasnt the greatest but the beach level was tons of fun imho

I agree. I played the demo first as well, and loved it to bits. Too bad it was one of the only good levels in the game.

I'm moving my mouse around this site, and I don't see any--JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION! GET IN THE CAR!

*clicks on the car*

OH CHRIST THE CAR IS BROKEN

I hope they take time, like 3-5 years, sequels get released way too fast nowdays= shit.

But I`m excited anyway, I loved Farcry.

I would want more shooting, even better AI, even more bad ass gore, even bigger firefights. Farcry ain`t deus ex, it aint hl2, it aint hidden and dangerous (I loved em all). It`s an actions shooter and it should stay that way.

far cry came out early 2004 ..t's been more than enough time ..another 3-4 years will kill any momentum far cry will have had

besides I absolutely detest when developers announce a games years before it's out ..what's the use? all developers should take a rockstar approach ..no media/announcement till 6 months before release

3 things

1. No ****ing trigens.
2. No horrible ****ing voice acting.
3. A decent ****ing storyline that keeps me playing.

I just don't want to fight those ****ing mutants. People to shoot pls.

Ubisoft have developed their own engine I believe based on the first Cryengine. The Far Cry IP belongs to Ubi anyway so it's nothing to do with Crytek, and I haven't heard anything about Ubi licensing Crytek's cryengine 2.

So Crysis is Far-Cry but on a different engine? :S

Far Cry was published by Ubisoft and last year they got rights to the IP and CryEngine.
Although Crytek (developer) switched publishers so Crysis is being published by EA and uses the CryEngine 2. Doubt Far Cry 2 will be on the CryEngine 2. But I guess they could pay to use the engine for their game like other companies do. I'm assuming one of Ubisoft's teams is doing Far Cry 2?

Since this is not being made by crytek it may tun out really good.

Far Cry was published by Ubisoft and last year they got rights to the IP and CryEngine.
Although Crytek (developer) switched publishers so Crysis is being published by EA and uses the CryEngine 2. Doubt Far Cry 2 will be on the CryEngine 2. But I guess they could pay to use the engine for their game like other companies do. I'm assuming one of Ubisoft's teams is doing Far Cry 2?

found the link at shacknews ..a developer of the game posted in the chat thread with the link ..think it was ubisoft montreal

far cry would have ruled if instead of mutant monkeys,it will have been dinosaurs,stalking you around and jumping from the plants

the world needs a good dinosaurs game

I'm confused too.

Crysis is Far Cry 2, in everything including namesake link. But if that was true, there would be some plot variation, which there isn't, and a major difference in gameplay, which there isn't, which would among other things exclude the wallhacking, aimbotting, cheating bitch AI. Which it doesn't.

This would suggest Crysis is one of them thar remixes by eminem.

Which means, Far Cry 2 is going to be what Crysis has already failed to achieve before it's very release, the god of all games that is in fact so good, all the Crysis advertising and hype is a mere smokescreen to hide the second coming of christ in a hawaiin shirt.

If it were a film, it would be called Far Cry 2: Prequel to Crysis and sequel to Far Cry, but set in Kenya. Not Norway.

Starring Vin Diesel as that thumbheaded guy, Chuck Wankfaster.

or something.

They do have impressive graphics but you can be amazed by fancy graphics for only so long. I actually spent $50 on the first game but never got through the whole thing, the story was just horrible and the voice acting made me want to shoot someone.

Multiplayer was eqally disappointing.

More FarCry is good in my book. The move to Africa might be just what this game needs to differentiate itself from Crysis, but then again, there is a lot of jungle in Africa. Mutagen + elephant + mystery component might be annoying in the long run... :D

Also, aren't Ubisoft Montreal supposed to be pretty skilled?

.bog.

[edit]
From the ubiforums, this apparently in the source code for the site:

xxjusticarxx said:
The source code meta says this:

"Far Cry? 2 is the next-generation PC first-person shooter from Ubisoft, discover the real sequel to the award winning PC game. More than just a visual and technological achievement, Far Cry? 2 will make you take part of a brand new gaming experience. Discover one of the most beautiful but also most hostile environments in the world, AFRICA!"

Notice "next generation PC first-person shooter"... Happy days.
[/edit]

far cry would have ruled if instead of mutant monkeys,it will have been dinosaurs,stalking you around and jumping from the plants

the world needs a good dinosaurs game
Sing it with me now:

Da na na na na, da na na na na, da na na na, na, na na!

A dinosaur game would indeed rock.

Intrigues me how gamers prefer having the ability to shoot people into bits with an array of realistic firearms rather than mutants/aliens/monsters. Clearly murder is a deep rooted, inescapable trait of human nature in real life, yet most of us feel guilt and remorse if we commit it.

Why then, from a very young age, do we think it is such a fun and important feature of gaming, if not the most important, when in life we are all battling our internal primal urge and trying desperately not to kill each other? Is it escapism? stress relief? or just one step closer to a reality we all long for?

Intrigues me how gamers prefer having the ability to shoot people into bits with an array of realistic firearms rather than mutants/aliens/monsters. Clearly murder is a deep rooted, inescapable trait of human nature in real life, yet most of us feel guilt and remorse if we commit it.

Why then, from a very young age, do we think it is such a fun and important feature of gaming, if not the most important, when in life we are all battling our internal primal urge and trying desperately not to kill each other? Is it escapism? stress relief? or just one step closer to a reality we all long for?

It has nothing to do with the fact that you are shooting a human instead of an alien, it has to do with the fact that the aliens and mutants in FC were annoying enemies, if they had made the humans like the trigens and the trigens behave like the humans. All of us would be saying the opposite.

Alright Sartre, maybe you should sit down for a minute.

Maybe if the trigens were smarter...

I don't think there is anything wrong with desiring to engage a more intelligent being and therefore a more worthy adversary in combat. It almost sounds noble to me. :angel:

see the trick is to just squeeze your rage up into a bitter little ball and release it at an appropriate time, like that day I hit the referee with the whiskey bottle ..or at the crosswalk, intersection, line up at the bank ...thank god for 5 day waiting periods ...YOU PEOPLE PISS ME OFF!!!

disclaimer: the above post is not evidence of intent

Laugh Out Loud One One Exclamation mark.

Cap'n, may I suggest basket weaving or flower pressing. That or a 12 gauge Franchi secreted in a special harness under your trenchcoat.

I think you are right though VoS, an intelligent adversary that shoots back with firearms is probably the answer to life, the universe and everything...
and it could also explain why every mod for every fps predictably starts with screenies of TEH GUNZS \o/

Bunch of mellon farming psychopathic bullet freaks. When I die i'm coming back as a fluffy bunny wabbit.

SPECIAL HARNESS! SPECIAL HARNESS!!! special Harness gives Stern a special hardness :naughty:

ooh cryptic.

Far Cry was flawed by cheating AI, childish characterisation and badly drawn monkeys. Far Cry 2 will be no different to Crysis which will be no different to Far Cry. Except for the monkeys.

Back