far cry... "instincts"??? wtf?

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
i just saw a video on www.fileplanet.com that boasts a new far cry game calld "far cry instincts". the trailer shows a FMV sequence (in first person) showing a man running into the jungle. after some far cry style combat, he starts to mutate and look at his hands go slightly weird... then an eye flashes on the screen, and he picks off two guards who are miles away (presumably with a gun but it looks more like he is doing it with his mind...) and it all looks very strange.

i dont know what far cry instincs is, and i was wondering if anyone here knew any info on it? i havent seen any threads on this (unless they have stupid names).

*edit* i googled it, and i found something on the official site.

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/farcryinstincts_xbx.htm

it seems that this is just an X-box version of far-cry... or at least thats what it looks like. im still looking into this, so dont shout at me if ive got loads of facts wrong...

*edit number 2* this is a gamespy article i found...

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/far-cry/513373p1.html?fromint=1

here are the decent bits of the article:

With the graphics out of the way, I can tell you about a bunch of new features and, dare I say, improvements that'll be making their way in. The Xbox version of Far Cry will be comprised of completely new levels -- 14 at this point -- across four differently themed islands. There'll also be true boss fights, and all of the FMV has been replaced with interactive sequences. So, when your boat gets shot up at the start, you'll actually get to jump off of it, rather than just watch a video.

There's also a gaggle of new vehicles. Already confirmed are a Jetski, a "quad" (four-wheeler, I think?), and a hovercraft armed with .50 caliber weapons. It remains to be seen how much these will add to the game's already well-rounded vehicle selection, but variety is always nice. You'll also see some new weapons, most notably a harpoon gun useful for underwater fighting. In addition, your hero will actually mutate as the game progresses, changing in appearance and gaining new abilities as things progress. The greatest additions to gameplay, though, will probably be the new "prone roll" and "dive for cover" moves. These promise to add even more "dynamicism" to the battles.

So if you own an x-box, which i dont, this will be a worth wile purchase it seems.

i started off this thread thinking this was an expansion pack, and ending up realisisng it was an x-box remake ;(

never heard of it but your probably right, just an XBOX version. MAybe slightly diffrent.

edit:/ so you edited again... ok, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal if you have an xbox, even though im not a big fan of shooters, the best shooters for consoles are on XBOX. The People who bought the PC version might be kinda mad though, you never know though.

hmm i never really liked FarCry..it looked good tho..

FC instincts was announced when FC for pc was released...it isnt an Xbox port, its a remake of FC from ground up...well thats what they said.

Why does it seem like are they making the X-Box one cooler? It seems like they put out the PC game as a tech demo and are listening to what people like and dislike about it to make a better game on the X-box.

Well of course they're gonna listen. :D
Thats what good developers do.

Well yeah they listen, but they should give PC gamers the new and improved game, not put it on the X-Box.

It's a totally new game developed by a different team. Carver even has a new look.

DarkStar said:
It's a totally new game developed by a different team. Carver even has a new look.

Ubisoft Montreal to be specific. The good ol' guys who made PoP and splinter cell.

I don't believe it's an X-BOX exclusive, it should be coming out for all three consoles. It sounds to me like an improved version of Far Cry as far as gameplay goes, but technically it won't hold a candle to it.

smwScott said:
I don't believe it's an X-BOX exclusive, it should be coming out for all three consoles. It sounds to me like an improved version of Far Cry as far as gameplay goes, but technically it won't hold a candle to it.

errr... and how do you prepose far cry will run on a PS2? even if it was severely stripped down and given appauling graphics, the answer is still probally "not at all"...

IIRC it's not an xbox exclusive. I think it was confirmed for PS2 and Xbox but there was no word on a gamecube version

Suicide42 said:
errr... and how do you prepose far cry will run on a PS2? even if it was severely stripped down and given appauling graphics, the answer is still probally "not at all"...
Got Killzone on there. :D

Direwolf said:
Got Killzone on there. :D

yes but the difference between killzone and far cry is that killzone has normal enviroments while far cry has to generate a whole island :/

Suicide42 said:

How the **** should I know? Ask the developers, but the game is being made for PS2. Besides, the PS2 isn't much worse than the X-BOX, anything one system can do the other can as well with very few drawbacks. The only difficulty comes in porting PC games, since the architecture is so different. This is a different game made from the ground up, so the X-BOX and PS2 versions will probably be very similar.

I still don't think either of them will look as good as the Far Cry I beat about a month ago though.

smwScott said:
How the **** should I know? Ask the developers, but the game is being made for PS2. Besides, the PS2 isn't much worse than the X-BOX, anything one system can do the other can as well with very few drawbacks. The only difficulty comes in porting PC games, since the architecture is so different. This is a different game made from the ground up, so the X-BOX and PS2 versions will probably be very similar.

I still don't think either of them will look as good as the Far Cry I beat about a month ago though.

If Ubi montreal can make the ps2 version of splinter cell look like the xbox or pc version - then far cry is no juggernaut to crack. However, I think a ps2 will blow apart in 12,000 smithreens if tried porting doom 3...

Probably not the X-box version of Doom 3 though. That thing looks like a piece of shit.

lans said:
If Ubi montreal can make the ps2 version of splinter cell look like the xbox or pc version - then far cry is no juggernaut to crack. However, I think a ps2 will blow apart in 12,000 smithreens if tried porting doom 3...
Thats a lot of shrapnel to stick into you.

But to run Far Cry on the ps2, I dont know how they would do it. Unless they made all the new levels be inside or not as large. Or maybe generate a load spot every 2 meters you walk.

outpost233 said:
Thats a lot of shrapnel to stick into you

...and why exactly would you want to stick that much debris on me?

outpost233 said:
Thats a lot of shrapnel to stick into you.

But to run Far Cry on the ps2, I dont know how they would do it. Unless they made all the new levels be inside or not as large. Or maybe generate a load spot every 2 meters you walk.

Oh please, the PS2 can do long-range draw distances

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/567/567186/img_1946473.html
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/567/567186/img_1906301.html?fromint=1

Just look at the different shots from that alone, it can handle it. To say they couldn't get FC:I to run on the PS2 is ludicrous

Farcry:instincts is an Xbox game which is exactly like the pc version bar a few new levels. It's also coming with a full level editor as well so thats impressive (remember this is a console game).

Bicka said:
Farcry:instincts is an Xbox game which is exactly like the pc version bar a few new levels. It's also coming with a full level editor as well so thats impressive (remember this is a console game).

The Xbox version of Far Cry will be comprised of completely new levels -- 14 at this point -- across four differently themed islands.

Oh well. When I read about it, it was supposedly adding in a few new levels.

"Levels -- which were very large and completely wide-open in the PC version -- had to be redone for the console edition. Though smaller, they still offer the same level of open gameplay, so that players can tackle just about every mission through either stealth or run-and-gun gameplay. Because of the changes, this isn't to be considered a port, it's a whole new game, that just happens to mirror many of the events encountered in the PC original."

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/512/512744p1.html

They shrink the levels down to work better on the lower end Xbox and call them new. Nice idea.

Shuver said:

Bicka said:
Wow, I think you missed a few articles.

Bicka said:
Oh well. When I read about it, it was supposedly adding in a few new levels.

"Levels -- which were very large and completely wide-open in the PC version -- had to be redone for the console edition. Though smaller, they still offer the same level of open gameplay, so that players can tackle just about every mission through either stealth or run-and-gun gameplay. Because of the changes, this isn't to be considered a port, it's a whole new game, that just happens to mirror many of the events encountered in the PC original."

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/512/512744p1.html

They shrink the levels down to work better on the lower end Xbox and call them new. Nice idea.

If that was the case I don't think they'd waste a great development team like the people behind the original Splinter Cell. It supposedly incorporates a bunch of new features and is an overall more polished (if slightly less impressive) game.

And as far as the PS2, I'm done arguing. I've gotten in a few arguments here about it and people just don't understand the topic well enough and just make some bull**** up. The PS2 will run Far Cry: Instincts, and FC:I won't be the most graphically impressive game on the PS2 either. People act like there's some huge difference between the PS2, GC, and X-BOX, when in fact they're all very similar.

smwScott said:
The PS2 will run Far Cry: Instincts, and FC:I won't be the most graphically impressive game on the PS2 either. People act like there's some huge difference between the PS2, GC, and X-BOX, when in fact they're all very similar.

Exactly. :cheers:

Tbh this isn't something I read up on if its in the news.
Farcry was graphically pleasing but everything else was below average. When I read about FC:I and it being only console I couldn't have cared less.

SmwScott said:
If that was the case I don't think they'd waste a great development team like the people behind the original Splinter Cell. It supposedly incorporates a bunch of new features and is an overall more polished (if slightly less impressive) game.

Well resizing maps and creating a few new ones is hardly an easy task in my eyes, infact with the major optimising I'd figure they'd need a crack team on the job.
So no I don't think it would be a waste using those developers.

At least the console kids are going to get a decent multiplayer game by the sounds of it. A hell of a lot more than we got...

hmm
looks intriguing
too bad its gonna be xbox only
even though i own one :p

Back