http://www.hlfallout.net/images/content/videos/full/gman_e32k4.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

Eli

2003 model:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screens.html?page=1

2004 model:

http://www.halflife2.net/misc_images/characters/c_eli.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't notice major changes in the Barney or kliener model. Gregori has also changed drastically, but I don't have the older model's pic.

EDIT: Damnit!, I couldn't make this into a poll.

i think alyx looked better before, other than that, the new models look well good five stars

I think they all look better. The detail is great :) they look almost real.

Alyx looks more natural, more down to earth. Before she was a little too pretty, too Hollywood. Now she looks a little tired and worn (probably Valves intention) - a believable resistance fighter :)

G-man looks a whole lot better, just look at his nose in the old version :LOL:

Yeah, I think all of the models look better, the shots of Alyx just were taken when she is has an "ugly" facial expression. In all of the older shots, we see her smiling, but these new ones show her frowning and scowling a lot more.

G-man looks much better. i don't see many differences in Eli.. Alyx DID look prettier before, but now she looks more realistic.

I'm glad that Alyx dosn't look like Halle berry's cousin any more. Who says Alyx isn't aloud to have a beard and be overweight? :p

G-man all the way. He looked great in 2003 but now they just put the dots above the is.

G-man. No questions asked.

Also Eli does look much much more realistic with the model/texture updates.

Go Valve!

Alyx looked better at E3 2003, but I would say both Eli and Gman are leaps ahead of what they were, and they were pretty good then, now they're so fricking lifelike its scary
edit: gman looks even more like the cigarette-smoking man from x-files, and that's awesome

G-man period.
although thank goodness they fixed up Eli's ****ed up collar area.

They all definetelly look a lot better. I think you should make this into an article, I was tempted to do it after the HLFallout article about the changes from HL1-HL2.

I gotta say though, Dr Kleiner always impress on me for some reason, maybe because there is such an amazing difference between the cliché scientist Walter in HL and the same cliché scientist in HL2. First time I saw the comparison screenshot of Walter/Kleiner I just went Wow!

switch said:
They all definetelly look a lot better. I think you should make this into an article, I was tempted to do it after the HLFallout article about the changes from HL1-HL2.
I agree with switch, I didnt really notice a big difference until you put them all side by side like that.

Warbie summed it up real nice
i agree, now she stopped pimping HL2 and actually got into acting :)

g man is probably the best model ive ever seen, the modeling, the textures. its all A+++++

but is it just me, or is he wearing mascara?!

alyx is definatley not as good looking as before, ah well.

guise said:
g man is probably the best model ive ever seen, the modeling, the textures. its all A+++++

but is it just me, or is he wearing mascara?!

No, but he looks like he has cancer or has been staying up for 96 hours straight, presumably playing Half-life 3

You'll see big changes in the Father Gregorian (sp?) model from E3 up to the new screenshots that were just released.

Looks like he got goth'd up :)

Also, in the video his hands were like mittens, and in the new shots he has individual fingers.

The G-Man, he has improved greatly, makes the 2003 version look ugly. Hell, the model even beats the face models that we've seen of UE3.

guise said:

her model however, in terms of detail... has improved.

PvtRyan said:
The G-Man, he has improved greatly, makes the 2003 version look ugly. Hell, the model even beats the face models that we've seen of UE3.
I wouldnt go that far, but it is a big improvement from his former version regardless.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=173208

http://www.gamersriot.com/news/data/upimages/ue1vsue2vsue3.jpg

Mr. Redundant said:

I mean just the face models, like of that old man or Malcolm, and they are certainly not superior to the face of the G-Man. And the eyes of the G-Man are even better than those. The biggest thing that makes the head of Malcolm look that good is HDR.

PvtRyan said:
I mean just the face models, like of that old man or Malcolm, and they are certainly not superior to the face of the G-Man. And the eyes of the G-Man are even better than those. The biggest thing that makes the head of Malcolm look that good is HDR.
I just went back and checked em all out again.. and yeah you are right, most of the impressive geometry in terms of U3 models is their body detail.

the faces are great in comparison to prior Unreal games..... but nowhere near as impressive as the G-man (or most hl2 models)... especially considering that Hl2 models faces actually animate and show emotion.

Mr. Redundant said:
I just went back and checked em all out again.. and yeah you are right, most of the impressive geometry in terms of U3 models is their body detail.

the faces are great in comparison to prior Unreal games..... but nowhere near as impressive as the G-man (or most hl2 models)... especially considering that Hl2 models faces actually animate and show emotion.
Whenever people tell me that Doom 3 already beat HL2 and that HL2s graphics are outdated, I just tell them to look at an NPC i HL2 and compare to Doom 3, because I think that's where Half-life 2's graphics really shine

AJ Rimmer said:
Whenever people tell me that Doom 3 already beat HL2 and that HL2s graphics are outdated, I just tell them to look at an NPC i HL2 and compare to Doom 3, because I think that's where Half-life 2's graphics really shine
I would say its more the "head models" of NPC characters, simply because they are high poly to allow for deformation and animation.

the bodies are quite lacking on the other hand... especially on normal enemies (ala combine soldiers, and overwatch)
and it is them that you are in contact with 90% of the game (enemies.. since it is an action game)

the world Geometry is lacking greatly in HL2 as well (from what they have shown us) lacking in terms of comparison to other engines... it doesnt have the huge levels of Battlefield, or the lush foliage of Farcry, or the dynamic lighting of Doom3... however that doesnt mean it isnt impressive in its own right.

and the most dissapointing thing about CS:S being the mp component of HL2?
the level design.. no matter how you slice it.. I was looking for something on a larger scale.. with merely bringing the old levels into the new engine.. you get just that... the same stale old gameplay with graphical touch-ups

I think all the new models are better gfx detail. Alyx might have looked better before but i think its just the screenshots were taken during times that made her look that way. sad/pissed/talking etc

Mr. Redundant said:
I would say its more the "head models" of NPC characters, simply because they are high poly to allow for deformation and animation.

the bodies are quite lacking on the other hand... especially on normal enemies (ala combine soldiers, and overwatch)
and it is them that you are in contact with 90% of the game (enemies.. since it is an action game)

the world Geometry is lacking greatly in HL2 as well (from what they have shown us) lacking in terms of comparison to other engines... it doesnt have the huge levels of Battlefield, or the lush foliage of Farcry, or the dynamic lighting of Doom3... however that doesnt mean it isnt impressive in its own right.

the level design.. no matter how you slice it.. I was looking for something on a larger scale.. with merely bringing the old levels into the new engine.. you get just that... the same stale old gameplay with graphical touch-ups

About Cs:s cliffe said in a interview they will bring in more game mods A LOT bigger maps. He also hinted some maps or modes would use vehicles and planes. So dont think cs:s will be the same old cs. Im sure it wont.

Mr. Redundant said:

I'm sorry I just can't agree with you on that, the npcs in HL2 move and look very realistic to me, the surfaces look more realistic. Alright, I had hoped for bigger surfaces, but then again I would like to play the game as well ;)
I wasn't impressed with Far Cry and although Doom 3 was kinda cool looking, all the surfaces looked plastic to me except the aliens.

Personally I don't like CS:S that much. It's just cs with sparse bump-mapping, specularity and better weapon models. The character models aren't that awesome - and so is the world.

Agreed, the geometry in HL2 isn't as complex such as that of say Doom 3, but the animations and texture quality makes up for it. HL2 uses more complex geometry and textures on the character model's faces than anywhere else.

Give the G-man 2 years time, and with more complex geometry and textures up to 2048 x 2048 will make him near photorealistic (at least the face), even better than UE3 models' faces.

Raziel-Jcd said:
About Cs:s cliffe said in a interview they will bring in more game mods A LOT bigger maps. He also hinted some maps or modes would use vehicles and planes. So dont think cs:s will be the same old cs. Im sure it wont.
thats my point.

its not like that out of the box.
it will have those things... but when? a week from release? a month? a couple years? its a projected statement.

on an unrelated note (not directed at anyone)
I hate the "well Im sure someone will mod it in" bullshit all the kids throw around. simply because things are NOT as simple to mod in as they are in your head.

AJ Rimmer said:
I'm sorry I just can't agree with you on that, the npcs in HL2 move and look very realistic to me, the surfaces look more realistic. Alright, I had hoped for bigger surfaces, but then again I would like to play the game as well ;)
I wasn't impressed with Far Cry and although Doom 3 was kinda cool looking, all the surfaces looked plastic to me except the aliens.
but thats exactly what I said....
NPCs are great, but dont consist of the majority of the game.. and I didnt like FC's or D3's approach artistically... but that doesnt mean they didnt have features that were pretty spiffy (thats why I was specific)

then again I put all my cash into my pcs.. so I am biased when it comes to graphic quality.

EDIT: shite, double post.. havent done that in years. sorry about that,.

Best model evolution has to be Eli. that model underwent some sort of changes.

Mr. Redundant said:
but thats exactly what I said....
NPCs are great, but dont consist of the majority of the game.. and I didnt like FC's or D3's approach artistically... but that doesnt mean they didnt have features that were pretty spiffy (thats why I was specific)

then again I put all my cash into my pcs.. so I am biased when it comes to graphic quality.

EDIT: shite, double post.. havent done that in years. sorry about that,.

It's a fair trade. I believe some models in HL2 look like shite (zombies) in comparsion to the human NPCs. Similarly Doom 3's monsters look awesome compared to the NPCs (clones with velvet skin). :)

Back