Fix for "disk not found" problem

M

mtc

Hello from the new guy here.....I have the DVD version of hl2 and after installing it on my dell iXPS the game wouldn`t run saying "please insert disk" or something like that. What I did to fix this is as follows:

I noticed the game didn`t seen to be checking my dvd drive at all, no wonder it couldn`t find the disk.
With the hl2 dvd in the drive, open my computer and move the mouse over the hl2 disk in your drive. Right click and select properties. From there click on the file tab that says "DLA", it stands for Drive Letter Acess. Remove the ckeck that enables DLA and click apply. Then close the window and fire up the game. This is what made the game work on my Sony dual layer dvd drive, I hope it works for those still having problems. I`m off to bed now, spread the link for this thread to other sites to maybe help others out too.

Also, for those that were wondering about offline play, After my last play session 10 min ago steam was telling me I was all set up on their end. I tried offline play and it worked just fine. It`s been a long day for many of us just trying to get a taste of the game.

Yes I have been telling many people to do this for quite sometime now. But once this was done for me I had a whole new problem. I now get the error Unable to authenticate original disc within time limit"

I think it is stupid that we even have to have the disc in to play. With Steam there is no point. My guess is that the publisher demanded it.

NiteX said:
Yes I have been telling many people to do this for quite sometime now. But once this was done for me I had a whole new problem. I now get the error Unable to authenticate original disc within time limit"

Sorry, I`m new here and didn`t see your post about it. Wish I had seen it hours ago.

Back