Flying vehicles in HL2

M

mad max

Anyone know player can control a helicopter in HL2?

Also, i saw in Valve respond thread:

I'm aware that air and fluid mechanics aren?t directly implemented in Source, but would it be an easy job to implement realistic landing conditions? Taking into account angle of descent, speed, gravity, etc.?

______________________________ ______________________________ __

Absolutely. We have a couple flying classes for NPC's one of which is a hovercraft and all of the physics is done on that vehicle to simulate it's landing and takeoff. In a mod, you could borrow from that code and create your own effect (rocket flare, etc).

Rick

So we have at least two types of flying vehicles?...

Yeah, it's pretty logical given the physics systeam and the released screen of a helicopter that we're going to end up flying one. :p

There's another post in that thread a few posts up asking whether Gordon will be able to fly any airborn vehicles and Rick/Gabe states he can't but it's certainly easy to do for a mod.

I don't think it'll work in the game, you could fly through the whole game and past everyone... not very fun.

So only NPCs can fly helicoptor and hovercraft?

I believe in S.T.A.L.K.E.R player also can't control flying units because the complexity of keyboard control?

i agree. we shouldnt fly anything in the game. so far, the flying vehicles weve seen are the gunship and the combine helicopter. i wouldnt be suprised if they suprised us with another larger transport/dropship. there were both apaches and ospreys in HL1.

Keyboard controls dnt realy stop you from being able to fly things like helicopters , on most games any way.

I dnt think you will be able to fly things on HL2 (not in SP at least , mayb in MP) only NPC's will be able to do this IMO

mad max said:

I believe in S.T.A.L.K.E.R player also can't control flying units because the complexity of keyboard control?

Have you played DesertCombat? It's not complex at all. The only reason I can think of that they didn't implement it for this game is that you could fly past everything just like someone said earlier.

I think the most logical reason is, because a Helecopter might be too dificult for Gordon to fly. Unless hes had previous training flying one, which I doubt.

Well it's due to performance issues, hovering above everything looking at the whole map at once is a great strain on the computer. Also I imagine you'd fly into the skybox and that wouldn't seem so cool...

KurtCobain said:
Keyboard controls dnt realy stop you from being able to fly things like helicopters , on most games any way.

I dnt think you will be able to fly things on HL2 (not in SP at least , mayb in MP) only NPC's will be able to do this IMO

Iam going to correct your german version of Lombardi ;)
"Es ist kein Lügen", "es ist Marketing"

kaf11 said:
i agree. we shouldnt fly anything in the game. so far, the flying vehicles weve seen are the gunship and the combine helicopter.
There's a combine dropship in the concept art section. ;)

no flying vehicles in hl2 becaues its not 1 big huge city. its like movie sets peiced together. this isn't stalker so im guessing no flying. It will ruin everything.

Well it make sense if Valve doesn't implement flying units for gameplay balance & performance. And i think probably using keyboard to control is rather awkward in fast action game, or compare to joystick.

"And i think probably using keyboard to control is rather awkward in fast action game"

not true. play battlefield:Vietnam :D

Maybe Valve can design a special hovering combat unit, like futuristic motorbike or speeder as in Star Wars?. It just hovering above ground, not flying in sky & thus causing gameplay imbalance or performance issues.

mad max said:
Maybe Valve can design a special hovering combat unit, like futuristic motorbike or speeder as in Star Wars?. It just hovering above ground, not flying in sky & thus causing gameplay imbalance or performance issues.

um....

I'm aware that air and fluid mechanics aren?t directly implemented in Source, but would it be an easy job to implement realistic landing conditions? Taking into account angle of descent, speed, gravity, etc.?

______________________________ ______________________________ __

Absolutely. We have a couple flying classes for NPC's one of which is a hovercraft and all of the physics is done on that vehicle to simulate it's landing and takeoff. In a mod, you could borrow from that code and create your own effect (rocket flare, etc).

Rick

Wouldn't the hovercraft be about what you mean?

I believe by hovercraft he means the gunship/big-alien-flying-thingy, it has a downward thrust keeping it in the air rather than just running on a track, like the chopper in HL1, i doubt theres anything stopping a mod making a similar vehicle player controlled, but the boundaries and complexities of the maps would probbally make it work out a bit strange, Although a halo style Banshee type thing would work quite well i think :O

mad max said:

AFAIK, it's because they wanted to hinder you from flying across the map & "cheat" your way into the game too fast kinda. There were some problems with crossing maps I believe too. But the general idea was that you would be travelling too fast for your own good or something :)

in Operation Flashpoint you can fly almost any kind of Helicopter with ease using the mouse, but a joystick would definitely be better. The helicopter simulation for the battlefield games was horrible. I'm hoping Half-Life 2 will have perfect simulation for flying objects.

I wish there was wind so you can turn the engine off and have the blades turn using the air hitting it. oh well, maybe in the future.

I thought Desert Combat hit he chopper control issue right on the head. Not perfect, but you needed some skill to do it and when you could if felt intuitive and fun.
Anyways, I think screwing around with a chopper would kinda mess with the whole HL vibe....go from underdog to the guy raining death from above?

HL2 doesn't have big enough maps. So not flying vehicles tbh.

Well, player controlled ones.

the UT2004's flying things(raptors or something..) are controlled very nicely with the keyboard+mouse :D

phantomdesign said:
I like the PC version of GTA VS's controls for flying helicopters.
You're kidding right? ;)
The PC version's copters acted like badgers being put through a woodchipper. :D Everytime I flew it looked like the pilot was going into convulsions.

Crusader said:
Well it's due to performance issues, hovering above everything looking at the whole map at once is a great strain on the computer. Also I imagine you'd fly into the skybox and that wouldn't seem so cool...
why would you think that, never heard of LOD?

maby you will have fleying vehicles in mp.

phantomdesign said:
I like the PC version of GTA VS's controls for flying helicopters.

That's pretty much like watching GIGLI and liking it.

You won't be able to fly for several reasons.

1) It's not in the Half-life style. Take the beginning of Op4 for example - you are being flown. The player is generally a passenger to the games direction.
2) The HL universe loads a bit at a time so it'd be hard to fly an entire city just like that.
3) HL2 will most probably contain a fair amount of linearity so you being given a vehicle to go ANYWHERE in, breaks that rule. The makers suddenly lose control of your experience so they can't guarentee it's quality.

Just some ideas anyway.

why would you think that, never heard of LOD?

LOD doesn't apply to World brushes - i.e. 90% of each map

1) It's not in the Half-life style. Take the beginning of Op4 for example - you are being flown. The player is generally a passenger to the games direction. 2) The HL universe loads a bit at a time so it'd be hard to fly an entire city just like that. 3) HL2 will most probably contain a fair amount of linearity so you being given a vehicle to go ANYWHERE in, breaks that rule. The makers suddenly lose control of your experience so they can't guarentee it's quality.

i think most of us are talking about flying in mods

anyway i know one way in which you can let the player fly around in single player without causing too much of a problem.

The gunner seat

Have an npc fly while gordon mans the guns, gordon's manned lots of turrets before. The npc can try out all these evasive manuevers while you the player have to riddle the targets with bullets, missles, or what have you

It also solves the problem of going to areas you shouldn't be at because the game makers can define the AI pilot's parameters

The buggy map certainly looks big enough to fly around in. I just think it doesn't fit into the game design.

3) HL2 will most probably contain a fair amount of linearity so you being given a vehicle to go ANYWHERE in, breaks that rule. The makers suddenly lose control of your experience so they can't guarentee it's quality.

Okay, I don't understand this argument and a number of people have mentioned it. Suddenly because you can fly, the developer can no longer control where you can go? What? How did that happen?

Why not set it in a narrow canyon where you don't have a choice? Okay, that's not really HL2's style, but you get my point. Or, you could set it in a large map, but only give the player one direction to go in or a specific objective to accomplish. Something like that. It isn't that hard.

The only example of a flying vehicle in a linear game i know of is Halo's banshee, i kept flying round in circles trying to find the exit lol, it got a bit dull. although they were fun in a multiplayer enviroment.

I think HL2 needs to maintain the feeling of being trapped on the ground, a flying vehicle would be to tempting for gordon to fly away free ! lol

i agree, for single player, gordon should not be able to obtain aircraft.

but for mods on the other hand.. I'm not sure about the limit to map sizes, but i thought they were pretty large, large enough so that air vehicles could be possible. I wonder though, how large the compare to say, bf1942's maps ie el alemein. not sure.

but yah, i'd love to see a mod with air planes and helicopters, similar to desert combat, only in the sexy hl2 engine :)

Driftlight said:
Okay, I don't understand this argument and a number of people have mentioned it. Suddenly because you can fly, the developer can no longer control where you can go? What? How did that happen?

Why not set it in a narrow canyon where you don't have a choice? Okay, that's not really HL2's style, but you get my point. Or, you could set it in a large map, but only give the player one direction to go in or a specific objective to accomplish. Something like that. It isn't that hard.

Well, the developers can't realistically control where you go in a flying vehicle.

Helecopters in real life could easily fly across the entire HL2 game world in under an hour.
Once they start putting in constraints, like never being able to leave a canyon, it's not realistic at all, because no helecopter would be trapped that way in reality.

Of course he can't use flying vehicles!!!!!

Dude, they would have to make HUGE, i mean HUUUUUGGGEEEE maps with no boundaries to make flying vehicles work, a invisible wall in the middle of the air makes no sense.

They say you can wander around in City-17 for hours.... They said that they don't want a linear experience but of course there is going to be areas where you have to get to, to advance the game and story... It only makes sense.

HL2 has pretty massive maps (check out the VERC Collective FAQ on mod-making).

Driftlight said:

I thought it was quite obvious.

On the ground (in HL1 at least), you can explore but eventually you'll reach a dead end or get back to where you started, thus you need to go where the makers want you to, to progress the game (I presume a similar if slightly more open style in HL2). If you're given the option of 360 degree travel via a flying machine, you can go anywhere, land pretty much anywhere and you'll never get the game finished. The whole pace of the game dies. Not only that, but if you crash and destroy the vehicle but you yourself survive, you've then got to make it all the way to your destination some other way and the designers have got to account for that somehow! I dont think so.

Plus, you're in a flying machine but cant fly above a canyon? I thought those kind of dumb limitations died in the arcades 5 years ago.

Back