For Anyone Making A Realism Mod

Glo-Boy

Reaction score
CAN THE MUZZLEFLASHES.

I've taken the liberty of going shooting today just to show you what it actually looks like. Smoke, and jerking shoulders.

http://www.thegrif.net/shooting.WMV

The sound isn't great because the mic was so close to my weapon.

Also, here are some pictures that help the skinners to see how the weapon looks under daylight conditions. Light blue on the top, anyone?

In fact, feel free to sticky this, if you feel it's stick-worthy, mods.

I like those picture shots
can you get some of a right handed person

one that's got the gun at the hip, one lined up in sight?

OOPS
nm,
i'll just flip the picture and the world will be happy again...
but a shot with the gun in sight would be nice

Next time I go. I'm a lefty and it would have been too confusing for me. :-p

it's alright with left, i can just flip the pictures...
but as i said, one at hip and one in sight.. Here's a couple other suggestions
one as if you had the weapon slinged. (held in front of you diagonally)
on pointed down (as if you didn't want to shoot a friendly)
on pointed up (as if you were stacked at a door or corner)

thanks bro!

Synthos said:
I like those picture shots
can you get some of a right handed person

Just use photoshop to flip the picture horizontally, it should give you the right hand equivalent

Way ahead of you on the no flashes ;) Only time in my military experience have I seen muzzle flashes is while firing blanks... at night!

Anyone want to see some views through a couple of weapons?

View through the C6 General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) - It's Canada's FN MAG, known as the M240 in America.

View through the C79 Elcan Optical Sight - Used on the C7A1 (Canada's service rifle) and the C9A1 (FN Minimi, known as the M249 SAW in America).

Me!

Flipping the photo won't give you the right hand equivilent. The weapons vary on both sides and aren't perfectly mirrored (just because CS does it doesn't make it right!)... Especially on the M16 (or whatever version yours is).

Pretty poor marksmanship btw :D Any chance of getting some improved sound of that firing when you get the chance? We could use it ;) (We as in Insurgency [aka Operation: CO-IN]... We have very accurate sounds, but having a more exact one doesn't hurt).

hahah i wasn't trying for marksmanship... unless you were being funny but i'm kinda high right now. haha. LFDAd39

Anyhow, i've seen muzzleflashes from three of the weapons I've fired before.

1.) M-16A1 Shorty (on full auto)

2.) .357 Magnum.

3.) .41 Magnum.

The M16 had a long football-shaped flash that extended about 3 feet, about 8 inches tall. it was bright yellow. the other two pistols only exhibited small "clouds" of orange. Very transparent.

Weeeeed.

It pretty much depends on the ammunition too. Civilians tend to want the flash, but the military does not :)

The M4 has a flash surpressor, that's why there's no muzzle flash.

The reason people use muzzle flashes like they do, even in "realism" games is for effect. The perfect example is the "realism" movies set out in space. If they did it perfectly realistic, you'd see very little atall. They change it and make it look better for visual effect. It's what the public are used to. Even firefly took liberties with the lighting of the space shots. While the sound was realistic ie: no sound in space. The visual side of things would have looked drab and boring were they done just like the real thing.

Same applies to the muzzle flash, ok its not realistic, but thanks to TV and film and comics, its what the majority expect.

I wont sticky this thread. If people want to use muzzle flashes in a realistic mod its upto them. No doubt if they don't, a lot of people will complain about the lack of them, realistic or not, its what the majority are used to seeing. Same goes for the noises the guns make, real ones are somewhat different to the seemingly more powerful TV and movie versions. The real ones are also pretty poppy and come across rather pathetic regarding the real noise they make.

Just the way things are. Same goes for just about everything, its changed to make it more action packed or pleasing to the eye. Thats why these big explosions you see in movies look pretty naff if you see them in a behind the scenes documentry filmed on a documentry camera that hasn't been run through the editing and post production.

Have you ever heard a gunshot in real life? They aren't pathetic, they are extremely loud. The problem is, they are too loud to get a good recording of. When recorded far away, you get a better feel for it, but it's always too high pitched and you'll not get the full effect.

Glo-Boy said:
Have you ever heard a gunshot in real life? They aren't pathetic, they are extremely loud. The problem is, they are too loud to get a good recording of. When recorded far away, you get a better feel for it, but it's always too high pitched and you'll not get the full effect.
I have actually, a number of times. I stand by my statement. Don't be down cause I wouldn't sticky it, it takes a special thread for that, besides we've already got a similar gun thread stickied, no need to have two or everyone will want one.

when i saw the title I thought it was gonna be a bitch... nice to see someone posting constructively.

DoD didn't have third person muzzle flashes a while back, but I think that was more of a tech issue :p

But the lack of muzzle flashes should be compensated by lots of smoke and particle effects. Exeggeration isn't always a bad thing, bullet impacts are pretty exeggerated sometimes too, but it helps to create a more action rich atmosphere.

Nice :D

Completly off topic but me and you are hand brothers :p

I will try to pull up a basic picture our mod did of weapon placements.

As I said before. There's no muzzle flash in that video because there's a flash surpressor built into the weapon.

Its alright. Its not really that much info though. You really need to go indepth to actually understand much. The images look nice but I would say they are taken on a poor angle. It doesn't really reflect on how a game will look. The Video is good. But it doesn't help very much when your not shotting properly.

Good job though, its nice to see some people trying to help.

If you wanted it to go stucky you would proberly have to write a lot more and have more images.

There are still flashes on weapons with flash suppressors. I think it's more to do with the amount of powder in the round.

With blanks, there is more powder and you can see the muzzle flash on the M16 type weapons (C7A1 in Canada anyways you can).

The military specifically tries to prevent a muzzle flash for obvious reasons that they don't want to give away your position as easily.

But anyways to add to the effect in realism mods, a lot of smoke is a good alternative to a huge flame.

Well, some guns do, some don't... Have you ever seen an M-240 (FN FAG) fired at night? Huge flash. I didn't measure it then, but the Army Engineer said that he's seen upt 7 feet forward.

Alot of it depends on ammo and powder type.... a 5.56x45 will flash more than a 7.62x36...

Back