For those of you who played the leak...(i havent)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ Yeah, the physics are even better than I thought they would be. Did you notice how the wood actually flexes properlly?!?!

Eh, flexes.....?

I dont consider learning how wood.... flexes in the source any kind of spoiler....

soo, care to elaborate? :)

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Eh, flexes.....?

I dont consider learning how wood.... flexes in the source any kind of spoiler....

soo, care to elaborate? :)

Well, this is going to be very hard to explain without showing it to you.

In the map e3_techdemo_2 there's a slab of wood supported by three thinner pieces that keep the board elevated off the ground. It's the thing that gets shot to pieces in the original demo. If you manage to tip it over properly, where the thinner support pieces connect to the slab of wood, there's actually resistance and it'll sort of "bounce" up and down for a second. The wood is actually flexing at the joint! It creates an extremely realistic effect. You can even jump up and down on it to create a primitive makeshift springboard.

Like I said, you really have to see it. It blew my mind the first time I saw it.

Dougy said:
i didnt listen to sound files detailing the script or anything (im not that dumb).

I did, well some. and it was stuff from this years E3.

the whole "wake up, wake up Mr. freeman" speech I heard last year ;)
nothing was spoiled for me... then again I didnt listen to everything.

@Darkstar, yep that was insane... I remember one of the first things I did was kick over that wooden fence that Gabe shot at in the e3 2k3 vid.
but barrels behind it to support it, welded, spawned a buggy, and ramped off it ;)

standing on one end of something wooden (like a plank) and securing the other, causes it to flex slightly.. the physics were so realistic, that you could actually jump on the end and it would "bounce" slightly... and if you were heavy enough, it snapped.
serious... its crazy.

physics in HL2 behaves EXACTLY how you would expect (thats saying something)

guinny said:
Do you guys feel like you cheated valve now? Or do you feel like once the game is actually released it won't be nearly as exciting because you've already experienced all the features in an unfinished state? Just curious because I was talking to Mr redundant about the leak in another thread, i wanna know what those who have played it feel. and who cares if you admit to playing the leak, its in the past.
actually, the leak made me want hl2 even more, so i could play those damned levels that didnt work

hmm, this is an oddly interesting thread, although i don't agree with the people for downloading the beta, i highly commend them for not loosing any spoilers on us.
I'm also of the belief that things done on the physics map are by definition devoid of possible spoilers, and, highly entertaining. With that in mind, and if people played around enough, i'd love to hear peoples stories and experiments from this level.

DarkStar said:
Well, this is going to be very hard to explain without showing it to you.

In the map e3_techdemo_2 there's a slab of wood supported by three thinner pieces that keep the board elevated off the ground. It's the thing that gets shot to pieces in the original demo. If you manage to tip it over properly, where the thinner support pieces connect to the slab of wood, there's actually resistance and it'll sort of "bounce" up and down for a second. The wood is actually flexing at the joint! It creates an extremely realistic effect. You can even jump up and down on it to create a primitive makeshift springboard.

Like I said, you really have to see it. It blew my mind the first time I saw it.
actually, i didnt manage to break that wood with the pistol, so i broke it banging the wood against a wall with the blue beam thinguie

MaDMaXX said:
hmm, this is an oddly interesterting thread, although i don't agree with the people for downloading the beta, i highly commend them for not losing any spoilers on us.
I'm also of the belief that things done on the physics map are by definition devoid of possible spoilers, and, highly entertaining. With that in mind, and if people played around enough, i'd love to hear peoples stories and experiments from this level.
trust me, they arent that entertaining

I beg to differ, the wood was really quite interesting as i really didn't think it would be that detailed in its reactions.

MaDMaXX said:
I beg to differ, the wood was really quite interesting as i really didn't think it would be that detailed in its reactions.
breaking wood has its limits in funnysness

DimitriPopov said:
There are NO major spoilers in the friggin beta. There are perhaps 2 or 3 models, sounds or levels that border on moderate-to-high spoiler factor; I felt like I had spoiled some of it for myself, then when I really stood back and though about it , I realised that I have no idea what is going to happen in this story , Im still as or more excited than most to play this game through.
> deleted by myself because of possible spoilers <

I mean interesting, not funny. And i think you're a little too close to the bone with the last post.

MaDMaXX said:
I mean interesting, not funny. And i think you're a little too close to the bone with the last post.
fixed it (for 10 char sake)

Mr. Redundant said:
@Darkstar, yep that was insane... I remember one of the first things I did was kick over that wooden fence that Gabe shot at in the e3 2k3 vid.
but barrels behind it to support it, welded, spawned a buggy, and ramped off it ;)

standing on one end of something wooden (like a plank) and securing the other, causes it to flex slightly.. the physics were so realistic, that you could actually jump on the end and it would "bounce" slightly... and if you were heavy enough, it snapped.
serious... its crazy.

Yes, I was totally overwhelmed by the accuracy of the physics in the leak. I had expected them to be realistic, but they were absolutely spot on. I can't imagine what they could have done to improve them in the intervening year.

Did you try droping a barrel from a great height onto a piece of wood? The wood breaks from the impact. You know the table with the watermelon on it? Try tipping one side up slowly and watch how they've implemented friction into the physics engine. In most games the stuff on the table would slowly slide off.....not HL2. There is actually FRICTION, something that must have been astoundingly hard to program. Go underwater and watch how water effects the physics of the ragdoll, sooooo smooooth. Also, try taking the physgun and grab something that you're standing on. Superman anyone?

Valve has taken Havok to the next level.

I only played a tech demo from e3(didn't ruin anything), after that i thought to myself "this games going to own why waste it on this". After that i deleted it from my hd

I'm really happy that nothing was spoiled!

DarkStar said:
Yes, I was totally overwhelmed by the accuracy of the physics in the leak. I had expected them to be realistic, but they were absolutely spot on. I can't imagine what they could have done to improve them in the intervening year.

Did you try droping a barrel from a great height onto a piece of wood? The wood breaks from the impact. You know the table with the watermelon on it? Try tipping one side up slowly and watch how they've implemented friction into the physics engine. In most games the stuff on the table would slowly slide off.....not HL2. There is actually FRICTION, something that must have been astoundingly hard to program. Go underwater and watch how water effects the physics of the ragdoll, sooooo smooooth. Also, try taking the physgun and grab something that you're standing on. Superman anyone?

Valve has taken Havok to the next level.
when i go underwater, and then look up, there is nothing but a black void... the bodies dont float in my beta, and the barrels drown like they were simply floating... i think the physgun should stay in the game, because they made it more complex than they showed in the videos... we can shoot some kind of glue, and stick 2 objects together!! they never showed that..why implement it??

EDIT-> if this is considered some kind of spoiler please warn me and i will fix it

We, who have played the leak have cheated on ourselves not VALVe. Of course I letf it right on my disc after a couple of spoilers, so it's pretty much intact (me proud :)).

A.I. said:
We, who have played the leak have cheated on ourselves not VALVe. Of course I letf it right on my disc after a couple of spoilers, so it's pretty much intact (me proud :)).
i acutally burned it...i fell dirty..not really. sure, i spoiled the game a buit for me, so what? it's only a game, i just didnt spoiled more because i was too lazy

I played the Beta, and feel kinda guilty about it.
I can imagine the fear of having people look at your unfinished product and judging it.
I wouldn't want people to read early drafts of school essays and think its reflective of my capabilities.

However, I knew that the build was not meant for public eyes, and there was no way Valve could be held responsible for any problems that people had with the build. It got me excited about HL2, esp. after sept 30th came and went. I knew this game would be worth purchasing, and worth the wait.

I was impressed with the build despite any bugs, large and small. I actually found it really interesting to see what a game looks like in a phase between conception and becmoing fully polished and assembled. It's like looking at a building being constructed.

Did delve into some spoilers. The train level looks drastically revamped. Soooo much cooler if you ask me. I only regret 1 spoiler (not the trainlevel one), but due to the scale and twisting nature of the HL plot (I assume), I believe I'm in for a treat.

I hope to buy the Special Edition, though the subscription , with extra levels etc, is looking more appealing.

They have my support no matter what happens : )

Orange said:
I played the Beta, and feel kinda guilty about it.
I can imagine the fear of having people look at your unfinished product and judging it.
I wouldn't want people to read early drafts of school essays and think its reflective of my capabilities.

However, I knew that the build was not meant for public eyes, and there was no way Valve could be held responsible for any problems that people had with the build. It got me excited about HL2, esp. after sept 30th came and went. I knew this game would be worth purchasing, and worth the wait.

I was impressed with the build despite any bugs, large and small. I actually found it really interesting to see what a game looks like in a phase between conception and becmoing fully polished and assembled. It's like looking at a building being constructed.

Did delve into some spoilers. The train level looks drastically revamped. Soooo much cooler if you ask me. I only regret 1 spoiler (not the trainlevel one), but due to the scale and twisting nature of the HL plot (I assume), I believe I'm in for a treat.

I hope to buy the Special Edition, though the subscription , with extra levels etc, is looking more appealing.

They have my support no matter what happens : )
yes, the beta was the best publicity for me too... all those damned not working levels...I WANT THEM.. one thing that got me a good feeling, was seeing the combine tower from a further distance..however, it didnt move :'(

I liked picking up matresses and slaping combine with them. (matress wraps around them)
that was pretty impressive.. oh and dropping barrels on zombies... throwing cars at combine troops.

*Darkstar: yeah Friction was really impressive... seeing things ROLL instead of slide was a major treat.
watching things crumple under the weight of an object, using stuff as shields, watching wood splinter/float etc... the thing is... its the first and ONLY game that feels real... like as I said everything acts as you would expect it to, theres no feeling of "oh that was nifty.. but it coulda done this or that" its all so cool, and perfectly implemented.

people who say that the physics appear to be gimmicky in the game, will eat their words (and more) when they play the game.

Mr. Redundant said:
I did, well some. and it was stuff from this years E3.

the whole "wake up, wake up Mr. freeman" speech I heard last year ;)
nothing was spoiled for me... then again I didnt listen to everything.

serious... its crazy.

Spawned a buggy? how the hell did you do that? whats the command?

Mr. Redundant said:
I liked picking up matresses and slaping combine with them. (matress wraps around them)
that was pretty impressive.. oh and dropping barrels on zombies... throwing cars at combine troops.

*Darkstar: yeah Friction was really impressive... seeing things ROLL instead of slide was a major treat.
watching things crumple under the weight of an object, using stuff as shields, watching wood splinter/float etc... the thing is... its the first and ONLY game that feels real... like as I said everything acts as you would expect it to, theres no feeling of "oh that was nifty.. but it coulda done this or that" its all so cool, and perfectly implemented.

people who say that the physics appear to be gimmicky in the game, will eat their words (and more) when they play the game.

Stuck in a hallway behind a pillar, You have 1 health, 2 Sentry Guns have you pinned, the grunts searching for you are getting closer, no matter what happens your dead, you have barely any ammo and the grav gun, the only other thing you can reach is a water mellon...

Just one of a million crazy situations awaiting! its the first game ive seen that REALLY gives you options on how to survive.

guinny said:
and who cares if you admit to playing the leak, its in the past.

What the hell, you are talking like playing the half-life 2 beta is super illegal...

Yes, I downloaded and played the half-life 2 beta.... I played it for like 2 weeks before getting bored of it. I then passed it to 3-4 defferent individuals in my general area (Buddies). They either liked it or disliked completely.

Now here I stand 7 months later with it still on my hardDrive, but I haven't done shit with it for 7 months!

I don't care who knows this info because no government angcy will spend a shit load of tax/private money to break in my house and grab me...

So don't feel like your a criminal...

never played the leaked version at all. i was tempted. but then i stopped myself because i know it would spoil it! I so cant wait for this game. i could wait another year for it (because it would be even better if that is possable) but i never played the leaked version and only saw 5 screenshots of the leaked version

didnt spoil one thing for me.I only played the e3 demos lvls.My head was about to expode i had to lolz.

At least its clear how much work has been done since then, The E3 2004 demo really surprised me lol. the whole thing is so much tighter and cleaner now, and theres so much new and changed stuff, made me realise how pointless the leaked build was rofl.

KurtCobain said:
Asking a HL2 fan not to play the leak is like asking Homer Simpson not to eat Dohnuts (sorry for the comparison,but i just watched Simpsons) :D

Holy shit I thought you shot yourself dude!

hool10 said:
HUGE SPOILER WARNING! I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THE INVISIBLE TEXT WARNING!

Heres a spoiler for you.

THAT WAS THE WORST SPOILER EVER!!!! Now even more people will be confused and start spawning insane amount of threads just by that train wreck you call a spoiler. Also maybe the big S stands for spoiler when you are placing a reply?

....... you ... are not good at explaining things.

Even if that was a spoiler.. I don't think you spoiled anything.

I was given the keys and I used them.

I do not regret using the editor that came with hl2 to further progress my mapping knowledge. I feel more secure and I know more about this upcoming game. Although I despise the ruining of an artist's work and I believe that whoever exploited this game should be prosecuted, I still believe in using whatever is provided easily to me.

You do realize that 'review' is completely fake?

really , i don't understand the story , aliens invasions , gman send you on earth after months of training on a secret base located in a far planet , to be a consultant of the army , but , army seems like the first episode to decimate the populations of the invaded locations instead to help them !!! gordon is not ok with that point of view an join thE resistance which is leaded by a secret and strange woman...
she send you to various location aound the woRld to accomplish objectives like destoying alien mothers ships , assassine aliens commanders ...etc

you're assisted also by a funny scientist (strange thing that all characters are hi polys , but this scientist is the same MODEL as in hl 1 !!!).
this scientist called rozenboug has created a teleportation machine which send you any where on earth and univer in the moment !!!

lets talk about the new gordon freeman, more stong , more human , it seems that he i attempted by amnesia since his training , strange thing duing the game , it seems that the woman i also attempted by amnesia , and there's a strange secret link between her and gordon , as they knew themselfs before

well actually this is all what i can say , i have just played 2 levels yesterday night and 6 cutscenes, so stay tunned to more news in the few days with a complet review of it...

Gman sending you to earth, WRONG. Consultant of army? WRONG. Sends you to various locations on earth, WRONG. ASsassine alien commanders? This guy is a complete moron. Funny scientist that has Hl1 model? Completely wrong. Teleportation machine that sends you anywhere in a moment? HOLY CRAP THAT IS WRONG. Telepathic Gordon and some girl? You actually believe this? The last paragraph is the biggest joke I've heard in a while. Gabe even said they won't have cutscenes in the game.

I played the leak myself, only a few things were spoiled but I had a lot of fun playing around with the physics and enemy AI. There were no spoilers to the story. Like some have said, the leak made me want this game even more, and I am damn impressed by this year's E3 showing. I can tell you there is absolutely NO comparison between the leaked beta and the real game.

I played the leak for about 2 weeks, then i deleted it.

Sounded kinda true to me. Would be cool if it was in the game. Thought it was.

Watching the new E3 Tech Demo made me want to play the beta a lot.

I've been playing it off and on since then. Usually only Tech Demo map and Bug Bait.

I wish I had the beta that they had in the 2003 E3 Tech Demo. That would be sweet. Then again, too many spoilers.

Dedatorv said:
Someone wasn't looking hard enough. :D :D :D

And yes, there are VERY COOL weapons you can obtain that haven't been seen yet.

i had it waaay back when it first leaked. im not afraid to admit it. i played it and loved it. the doom 3 leak on the other hand.....too unplayable for me.

though i reformatted since and lost the alpha...it made me want the game so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back