Fox/Universal pictures say goodbye to Halo movie...

Reaction score
It's game over for Universal's and Fox's participation in the feature adaptation of Microsoft's "Halo."

Both of the studios that agreed to co-finance the screen adaptation of the popular Microsoft game have abruptly backed out of the picture. While rumors had the studios concerned over a budget that was rising above the original projected $135 million pricetag, the filmmakers said the double defection came after U and Fox played hardball and unsuccessfully tried to get the filmmakers and Microsoft to reduce their profit participation.

Rumors of a budget that could approach $200 million raged Thursday, but Ken Kamins, who reps Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, vehemently denied that figure. The duo came aboard as exec producers, joining powerhouse producers Mary Parent, Scott Stuber and Peter Schlessel.
More here.

While it may sound horrible, I am sure that someone will pick it up. There's A LOT of money to be made with the Halo franchise (for better r for worse). I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft decided to open up a movie studio to break into that market too...:LOL:

What do they expect when the budget is rising above $135m? I don't blame them for dropping it.

In the days of bluescreen, why are these kinds of movies costing so much?

Ewe Bowl will do it!

Look at my clever word replacements.

The only thing I was possibly interested in would be the effects from WETA, but I'll see them in another movie.

What do they expect when the budget is rising above $135m? I don't blame them for dropping it.

In the days of bluescreen, why are these kinds of movies costing so much?

Its probably a sign that they're not trying to skimp on stuff so they can push it out an make a quick buck. Which might have been what those studios were interested in doing.

$200 million? Jesus, are they actually BUYING spaceships for the Chief or something?

They really shouldn't make it live action. Something like The Spirits Within or animated like the Spawn series.

I do. The Halo universe is very rich and detailed thanks to Eric Nylund.

But live action is just a bad idea. You can't put something like Halo on the big screen. It'd just come off as corny.

Where's Uwe Boll When You Need Him?

I think dealing with Microsoft was the biggest issue. When you have 3 massive companies trying to deal with one another you know it's all going to go tits up.

Back