fps_max Q

chriso20

Reaction score
Atm;

I get over 75fps in game. My monitor can handle 75fps at max so i set fps_max to 75.

Does this take some pressure off the GPU or shall i might aswel have fps_max at 300 ?

It shouldn't take any pressure off the GPU, but since your monitor can't draw more than 75fps anyway it's a moot point. If you can get over 75fps in the game I don't think your GPU will have any real "pressure" on it. If you want, try turning up the Filtering and Anti-aliasing and see if the game is playable. You'll get better image quality.

I have a pretty old monitor and i was wondering how i can figure out many fps it can run. I just want to make sure im getting the most out of my video card.

Under Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced go to the Monitor Tab. Make sure "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is checked. Any refresh rates available in the drop down box are the rates which your monitor can draw frames at.

Or more basically:

60mhz refresh rate = 60fps

Any fps higher than 60 would not be displayed in this scenario.

I really hate topics such as these because people are so misinformed about FPS and refresh rates and how the eye percieves both. I will quote a section from an article that relates to this discussion and a couple URLs to other articles that all the people who have posted here should read up on.

Your monitor's refresh rate does not in any way relate to your GPU/CPU's capacity to generate frames per second. Period. Set your refresh rate at whatever appears most fluid to you (above 72 is considered flicker free), after that your FPS is determined soley by your system without regard to your monitor.

Refresh rate is measured in Hertz (Hz), a unit of frequency.

Do not confuse the refresh rate with the term "frame rate", often used for games. The frame rate of a program refers to how many times per second the graphics engine can calculate a new image and put it into the video memory. The refresh rate is how often the contents of video memory are sent to the monitor. Frame rate is much more a function of the type of software being used and how well it works with the acceleration capabilities of the video card. It has nothing at all to do with the monitor.

Above info quoted from this site.

Another interesting read on the subject.

A site dedicated to the subject of video and how movies, TV, and PCs work with framrates and other techniques to simulate smooth motion.

mine has 60 hertz refresh rate, does that mean i will only have 60fps on Cs:s, when i had 120fps on Cs? :S

depends on if you have vsync on or not

Just set your refresh rate to whatever looks best for you - for most people 60 is a bit flickery so try at least 75. Your GPU will crank out the best rates it can without regard to the monitor refresh rate and v-sync only effects the display (not production) of the images. Just leave v-sync off as it is not likely to be an issue anyways.

Keep in mind that LCD monitors do NOT have a refresh rate - at least, not the same way a CRT does. Don't bother using vsync if you have one.

LCD monitors refresh at about 40 HZ, they have a refresh rate it is just not adjustable as with a CRT.

The important points here are that the monitor refresh rate is not measured in FPS (it is measured in hertz), no refresh rate setting will make your system work any harder or any easier, and v-sync will tax a system only in that it adds a layer of computation and syncrinization so just leave it off as in the end it doesn't make a big visual differance anyways.

Back