Freeman = power man?

Kouler

Tank
Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wondering, how the hell does Freeman carry all those weapons all at once? :sniper:
:afro: :bounce: :afro:

Magic. or another senseless excuse. It doesn't have to make sense imo.

He uses his special ability to transport them to Xen when he doesn't need them and back when he does.

You could ask the same question of nearly every FPS game...

The did originaly have two weapons only in HL2 but they scrapped that for the old system.

Kristafon said:
The did originaly have two weapons only in HL2 but they scrapped that for the old system.
It was actually one from each category - melee, pistol, standard weapon (rifle, shotgun etc.), heavy, explosive.. etc.

Kristafon said:

I wonder why Valve removed the weapon inventory system because I really liked that idea and It was one of the main things that I liked about HL2.

Gameplay > realism.

Realism has almost killed the FPS genre. Thank god some devs are fighting back.

iamaelephant said:
Gameplay > realism.

Realism has almost killed the FPS genre. Thank god some devs are fighting back.

I agree with you but I doubt the weapon category system would have made Half-Life 2's gameplay bad since It was the only thing I really liked about the E3 2003 demos.

Abom said:
You could ask the same question of nearly every FPS game...

Not Halo. ;)

That's one of the things I really liked about Halo actually. It added another tactical decision-making layer to the gameplay. I guess Valve was fooling around with a similar system at one point. I wish they would have kept it in.

CrazyHarij said:
He's got an extra big pair of underwear.

Where he keeps the RPG. ;)

Darkstar - Halo's gameplay is slightly too arcadey (with grenade throwing easily and melee attacking), but to control it the devs added the 2 weapon limit. So this gave it a good balance, and even with both weapon's ammo was over the player could melee attack and still use grenades faster.

Half-life's gameplay would be too arcadey too, if they hadn't put the regular switch to grenade and throw method and cancelled out the melee attacking (except specific melee weapons). Therefore in a game like this having more weapons is important - since you can finish through two weapons very quickly.

So both systems are balanced.

Well, my oppinion is that it should depend on the difficulity.
Easy you can carry it all, hard you can only carry 1 of each catagory.

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Calhoun said:
I agree with you but I doubt the weapon category system would have made Half-Life 2's gameplay bad since It was the only thing I really liked about the E3 2003 demos.

No, but you could do it in a mod.

Only problem I have is is with the large numbers of weapons it becomes a click fest just to pull out your Sub, one click too few and you've got a Shotgun, one too many a crossbow...

Better than Doom 3 were to select the BFG and Rocket launcher and all other usefull weapons you have to leave the wasd keys and reach all the way across the keyboard for the 9 of power... by that time the said hellknight has eaten you... Still I reconfiged the keys in Doom 3 for Q plasma rifle, E soul cube, 1 Shotgun, 2 Chaingun, 3 Rocket Launcher, 4 Panic button, I mean BFG... :)

Half life always had the advantage of having weapon groups under one button, even if it does cause some bother at least you can still sidestep while reaching for your rocketlauncher

Abom said:
It was actually one from each category - melee, pistol, standard weapon (rifle, shotgun etc.), heavy, explosive.. etc.

It still sucked, and none of the playtesters liked it :)

The Halo series is sticking with the maximum of two-weapon carrying capacity (aka. REALISM), for which I am greatful. The only other game I can remember that explained the player's ability to store huge ammounts of weaponry was Star Trek: Elite Force, with their "teleporter buffers". :p

Experimentations with teleportation technology allowed for some extra features to be built into the suit that allows for large physical objects to be "stored" in another dimension and then retrieved at will. This allows Gordon to store all the guns he wishes without any problems of weight or lack of conventional storage space.

Thats not the case of course but its a "realistic" theory, or as close to realistic as you can come considering we don't have teleportation technologies.

Just think of them as being straped to his back, or something, anyways its hardly something to think on.

He just sticks them otto the suit with electro-magnets. Selecting the weapon you want disengages the magnets, allowing you to fire them normally.

How else could he pick up a handgun, shotgun and 6 clips of ammo and fire them within 1 second? :p

This was asked a long time ago...don't have a link, but it was stated that the tubular-pack that contained your weapons in HL: DM was how Gordon carried his weapons around in the single-player portion of HL. I always concluded that it attached to the back of the HEV-suit somehow.

If you guys are really interested in confirming this, you might want to email Gabe.

I think being able to choose any weapon for any situation without needing to worry about primary and secondary management, is quite key to half-lifes gameplay, who the heck cares where the weapons go, games are always full of inaccuracies for gameplay purpose, u just need to get over them.

i like the way the HL series has its weapon system.
sure it isn't "realism" but TBH, if one wants "realism" then playing HL1 or HL2 isn't a good choice.. i mean opening portals to other worlds and having alien invasions isn't a common occurance, and definitely isn't real at this point in our society. :p

if pple want "realism" than they should go play another game simply put.

So the real question is... How CAN'T he carry all those weapons?

:O!!

I like Half-Life where you have your own personal pack mule following you around, I'd hate to have to choose weapons!

If he wasn't able to carry severals weapons, everybody would be continuously changing weapons using the console !

Back