Fresh HL2 Download?

Flyingbig

Reaction score
I am thinking off deleting my HL2 and redownloading it, will it help? Save me the time and speak up if you have already tried this to no avail. Cheers.

Sorry, the now infamous sound stutter problem, i assumed everyone knew about it :O

Ah, that one. Oddly enough, I've concidered uninstalling HL2 to work on a sound issue my computer has developed as well (since installing HL2, the sound has become choppy and extremely eratic with BF42 and all of it's mods. Driving me nuts that I haven't pinpointed the issue). I just have a hard time believing HL2 itself is the root of the issue. In your case, I can't believe so many people with the stuttering issue have a bad install of the game. Perhaps it's worth a try if you have the time and patience though. If you do, be sure to post back with the results... You may have just helped talk me into uninstalling HL2 to work on my issue. :p bastage!

Selected the "Delete local files" option from steam and it has removed the hl2 files (but not the hl2 folder and config files etc..)
Its redownloading the gcf files again so ill report back in an hour when its done.

careful about that redownload????

Hi, i've been having fun the last few days wondering why I can't play Hl2 anymore after I reformatted my HD. Bought the silver meal deal via steam and played in awe of this kickarss game(just got into nova prospect) up until I had to reformat my comp (XP..sp2,1700+,512,ti420064mb) a couple of days ago. I have cable so I havn't burn't a hardcopy yet cause it only takes a few hours to d/l. So I went to play and It would start to load up and freeze on the fuzzy opening screen when the menu is supposed to come up. Thought it might be drivers no...audio...no, corrupt hl2 files ? Tried everything I could think of and (yes I rebooted) then I noticed that HL2 was only 56% done?? So I deleted the game content and started to d/l it again..... it "finished" and started to load the game and this time got to the menu where I could change the settings and all but froze on the "new game" loading screen, checked the properties and it was only at 56%???? It seems to me there are two major bugs, 1...it's won't complete the download and 2 a HUGE 2...why would this game even begin to load-up when it's only at 56% installed??? Bizarre, I'm going to paste this in support also, thx for your time, peace, Love..... :eek:

Ok i downloaded hl2 again and no difference, i also reinstalled Steam and guess what? Yup no difference. So to any thinking of doing the same don't bother. Its a big waste of time and this is officially my worst experience with any game released ever. Some achievement i tell you. Guess a Nvidia bug fix is my only hope, if that doesn't work then i'll just keep the game till i buy an ATI card in the next few years. Sad but true and to think i paid £40 for the right to have such a good time with HL2. Lets put it this way, it's certainly been an experience.

I've seen people talk about HL2 allowing you to start the game when it hasn't fully downloaded and then it crashes.

It's a good idea to watch what Steam's monitor or any kind of internet activity monitor you have is doing because it shows if it's still downloading or not. Internet activity is a better clue than whatever Steam announces.

As far as I've been able to work out, these are the complete set of HL2/CS:S files sizes you should find in your SteamApps folder:

counter-strike source client - 3,150 KB
counter-strike source shared - 962,758 KB
dedicated server - 9,861 KB

half life 2 content - 858,735 KB
platform - 13,476 KB
source engine - 67,346 KB
source materials - 1,058,165 KB
source models - 460,056 KB
source sounds - 998,956 KB

The second lot are what it accesses when you load HL2, it seems.

Fresh hl2 download

I uninstalled hl2 and steam, rebooted and reinstalled the whole thing. Hardly couldn't believe it, but it solved the stuttering...
So give it a try!
Really hope this helps for you...

Cheers

how do you go about uninstalling hl2 if you downloaded it from steam? I know the "delete local content..." button deletes just the 800mb hl2 file. How do you delete the rest of the stuff to redownload it? Just delete the other files (ones associated with hl2)?

Thanks

thats what I did a year or two ago when Steam started messing up, deleted all of the game files (not through steam, just browsed to the folder) and reinstalled.

Back