FX 5600 or FX 5200

forg0tt3n

Reaction score
i have no AGP slot so i need a pci slot Graphics card, i am tryin to decide whether to get a Nvidia FX 5200 or FX 5600 PCI...which is better.

FX 5600
* Powered by nVidia GeForce FX 5600 GPU
* 0.13 Micron Process Technology
* Intellisample™ Technology
* CineFX™ engine
* 128-bit studio-precision color
* Architected for Cg
* AGP 8X -2.1GB/s bandwidth to system
* NVIDIA®'s nView™ multi-display technology
* Digital Vibrance Control (DVC) 3.0
* 400MHz RAMDACs support 2048x1536 resolution at 75MHz
* 4 Pixels/Clock Rendering Pipeline
* Pixel Shader and Vertex Shader 2.0
* New 64-phase Video Scaler
* Highest DVI output upto 1600x1200
* Integrated TV encoder up to 1024x768 resolution
* Integrated full hardware MPEG-2 decoder
* nVIDIA® Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
* Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Optimizations and Support
* OpenGL® 1.4 Optimizations and Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FX 5200
* Powered by nVidia GeForce FX 5200 GPU
* 0.15 Micron Process Technology
* CineFX™ engine
* 128-bit studio-precision color
* Architected for Cg
* AGP 8X -2.1GB/s bandwidth to system
* NVIDIA®'s nView™ multi-display technology
* Digital Vibrance Control (DVC) 3.0
* 350MHz RAMDACs support 2048x1536 resolution at 75MHz
* 4 Pixels/Clock Rendering Pipeline
* Pixel Shader and Vertex Shader 2.0
* New 64-phase Video Scaler
* Highest DVI output upto 1600x1200
* Integrated TV encoder up to 1024x768 resolution
* Integrated full hardware MPEG-2 decoder
* nVIDIA® Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
* Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Optimizations and Support
* OpenGL® 1.4 Optimizations and Support

well the 5600 is better, but you should SERIOUSLY get an AGP slot.

IIRC, the 5600 PCI is just the 5200 under a different name.. I'd try and find a FX5200 Ultra PCI. Besides, from those specs, I wouldn't even be sure that 5600 is PCI. Last I checked, there are no 5600 PCIs.. not real ones, anyway.

dude, please, it is a LOT (I MEAN A LOT REALLY) better if you get a mobo with AGP slot and get a new video card, you really wont regret it, seriously, besides, the FX series really suck, if youre buying these for like everyday use of desktop and stuff its ok, but dont buy this for half-life 2 or far cry man, it will run like crap, and the PCI thing helps it to be crappier (?? hehe) you wont regret buying a AGP card.

filipeg165 said:
dude, please, it is a LOT (I MEAN A LOT REALLY) better if you get a mobo with AGP slot and get a new video card, you really wont regret it, seriously, besides, the FX series really suck, if youre buying these for like everyday use of desktop and stuff its ok, but dont buy this for half-life 2 or far cry man, it will run like crap, and the PCI thing helps it to be crappier (?? hehe) you wont regret buying a AGP card.

Actually, I've got an AGP FX5600 128MB that works fantastic. I bought it last summer new for like $90, and it runs everything rather well. I run Doom3 with most of the eye-candy on with no frame-rate issues. Same with CS:S.

My only problem with it is that yesterday its fan started making bad noises. I cleaned it out, and they just got worse. But that's not really the chipset's fault; I blame Asus.

Actually, I've got an AGP FX5600 128MB that works fantastic. I bought it last summer new for like $90, and it runs everything rather well. I run Doom3 with most of the eye-candy on with no frame-rate issues. Same with CS:S.

My only problem with it is that yesterday its fan started making bad noises. I cleaned it out, and they just got worse. But that's not really the chipset's fault; I blame Asus.

Yeah it runs Doom 3, Far Cry, CS:S all ok but try turning running Doom 3 on 1024x768 with all maxed out and Far Cry on 1024x768 with lighting on high, its just crap and mine is the golden limited edition 256mb, I really don't like this card, I'll get a 6800GT

edit: also, remember the 5600 is a DX9 card and that CS:S and on the future, HL2, consider it a DX8 card, try turning on DX9 on CS:S and you'll see the real power of the mighty 5600... wtf did i just say lol

Well, I'm not saying it's an elite card. I'm saying for a card I got a year ago for... whoa, I just checked, and I bought it for $165. It's going for half that now. Well, I got screwed, but for those of you looking for a value card now, I highly recommend it. Just make sure you get a good warrenty in case the fan dies. You can't run all the eye candy, but you can still run games that look pretty incredible. But if you're ok dropping a couple hundred bucks, then you should do that.

Look if you REALLY don't want to get an AGP slot, which you should, then the best card you can get is an ATi Radeon 9000 PCI or 9100 PCI, you should still be able to find one online. And there is a 9200 PCI which is very common but it's actually slower and definitely not worth it. 9000 or 9100.

What are the rest of your specs that you don't have an agp slot? I have an old P2 - 400 with an agp slot, though all non server/business machine had them now.

Change the motherboard and you will be so much happier i mean it ain't even expensive. Don't know where you are but in UK prices for an athlon xp you could get a decent motherboard for £40 and a Ti4600 for about £45 (ebay for the gfx card) and it will blow merry hell out of any pci video card.

try for the 5600/5600 ultra. it's not actually the same core as the 5200, that's the 5500, and if you can get a pci version, it'd be pretty good for games atm. but i agree with the others - get an agp slot, or even pci-express.

Dude, seriously getting PCI cards when PCI express is out is just funny, it's as if when AGP came out lots of peolpe were still buying ISA cards (Isn't ISA what came before PCI?) It's rediculous.

Except that every PC out there has a PCI slot...even those with PCI Express.
But I understand where you are coming from. hehe

ok....that doesn't mean use it for videocards. It's like driving a ferrari on a 20mph limit road. It doesn't make any sense.

Back