FYI: Low-end System FPS

The thing most people forget is the dude that made this thread pointed out he was using DX7 API not and I repeat not DX9, and he still is only managing 16 to 20 FPS. That would be like playing Quake2 in software mode over OGL. Using DX7 he won't be seeing any of the new effects. Basicaly he graphics wold be almost identical to the original Half-Life back in 1998.

The way I see it anyone using a 2GHz or eqilivant rated CPU with a DX8.1 compatable video card with at least 512 memory will be in good shape and can be rest assured 60 FPS in most situations. I'll bet right now my PC will be able to do that. My specs are as follows (hehe just wan tto brag a bit):

Pentium4 2GHz Northwood
512 RDRAM (yes that's Rambus boys!)
40GB Barracuda ATA-100 HDD
GF4 TI4200 (oced to TI4600 speeds)
Audigy Sound
Windows XP Pro (SP1)

I'll bet right now I get a solid 60 in most situations in 1024x768 resolution max details.....

:devil:

my specs are
xp1800
512ddr ram pc 2100
gf4ti4200 128mb ram

average 16-20 fps ingame (hl2)

I should be getting more no?

Originally posted by sent0in
lol, u poor humble biomass

That's probably the harshest comment I've ever seen :p (even if it is a joke).

uhm.. dudes the playable alpha doesn't have any pixel shaders.

Originally posted by Superiority
hello...?wuts wrong with my comp?

all you said was blahljaflkjdf my comp is broken aoibaoijfo;eajf

be more specific please,

oh and btw, this isnt the thread to ask whats wrong with your computer

Originally posted by maleficarus™
The thing most people forget is the dude that made this thread pointed out he was using DX7 API not and I repeat not DX9, and he still is only managing 16 to 20 FPS. That would be like playing Quake2 in software mode over OGL. Using DX7 he won't be seeing any of the new effects. Basicaly he graphics wold be almost identical to the original Half-Life back in 1998.

The way I see it anyone using a 2GHz or eqilivant rated CPU with a DX8.1 compatable video card with at least 512 memory will be in good shape and can be rest assured 60 FPS in most situations. I'll bet right now my PC will be able to do that. My specs are as follows (hehe just wan tto brag a bit):

Pentium4 2GHz Northwood
512 RDRAM (yes that's Rambus boys!)
40GB Barracuda ATA-100 HDD
GF4 TI4200 (oced to TI4600 speeds)
Audigy Sound
Windows XP Pro (SP1)

I'll bet right now I get a solid 60 in most situations in 1024x768 resolution max details.....

he can't run in dx8 or 9 mode because his card isn't compliant with it. and saying it will look like hl1 because hes using dx7 is just plain stupid.

Originally posted by Davis
he can't run in dx8 or 9 mode because his card isn't compliant with it. and saying it will look like hl1 because hes using dx7 is just plain stupid.

So you are saying that its stupid to assume a game using the DX7 (quake 2) API is not going to look similar to HL1?

LOL

What the fruck you smokin dude?

Originally posted by maleficarus™
So you are saying that its stupid to assume a game using the DX7 (quake 2) API is not going to look similar to HL1?

LOL

What the fruck you smokin dude?

uhm.. Dude actually he's right. DX doesn't have anything to do with polie density or texture resolution (not sure about the last 1 tho). So hl2 on a dx 7 card (assuming it'll run) will not look like hl1 at all.

Originally posted by BigD
How do you run the game in dx 8?

I have no idea if this can be manipulated or not in game HUD. I do know that the game will automatically resort to whatever API is hardware compatible. And remember there is a big difference between compatible and compliant. For example say you run HL2 on a GF4-TI series card. I'm guessing you will be compliant for all DX8.1 effects but not DX9.0 effects. But from what I could read there isn't much difference between the two anyways. I think the only real difference is in the shaders and from what I could tell its more of a speed issue right now then anything else.

In the original posters case he was using the DX7 API from around 1998. Now athough the textures in game will look modern 2003 (assuming he had enough onboard memory) he would see no advanced lighting effects or shader effects/fog effects etc...

Back