G-Man and the Vorts

I don't think G-Man has the ability to project images of himself when he's operating in Earth's time and space. Outside of that realm of existance however, G-Man is able to do what he wants easily. I believe Freeman needs to be in a state that precludes being capable of physical activity (ie. stasis) before he recieves these fancy mental projections.

Then what's the currently accepted theory of how he manages to appear on a TV screen that isn't plugged in to any power source, and how he constantly appears near hostile enemies that don't seem to notice his presence?

Revenge said:
Then what's the currently accepted theory of how he manages to appear on a TV screen that isn't plugged in to any power source, and how he constantly appears near hostile enemies that don't seem to notice his presence?
A Vortigaunt was seen giving power to the TV with G-Man on it FYI, and G-Man always does his best to avoid hostile encounters. G-Man might very well have contacts in the Combine's sphere of influence as well.

I'm not talking about that time. I mean after the nova prospekt teleport, shortly after you lose d0g. You go into some building, and you hear this creepy music playing over and over. If then in a closet, on top of a pile of rubble is this TV with the gman's face on it. A moment after you look at it, the TV switches off (and the music stops with it). Picking it up reveals it is not attached to anything.

As for the hostile encounters, there is that time he appears up on the balcony at the start of canals, walks into a room full of sleeping zombies, and has magically disappeared by the time you get up there. You could argue that he teleported himself away, but now I'm beginning to wonder if he was really ever there at all.

EDIT: Also, even if he had some arrangement with some combine leaders, I doubt that every street cop and soldier would be informed about this human with a strange accent that is permitted to wear a business suit while EVERYONE else out in public wears either their pyjamas or a metrocop uniform (I'm referring to one of the times you see him through a camera).

Revenge said:
Hmmm... Good point actually...

Notice how when the Gman first appears, he seems REALLY close to you? Much closer than a person could normally stand to you while normally playing? And as the vorts start to pile up, he sorta fades out as a more far away version fades in?

Seems to me that once again the Gman was projecting into your mind, and the vorts intervened and severed the control to that deep a level. Perhaps this is why we don't see the gman everywhere in Ep1? Perhaps because he was never on all those TV screens and balconies, but rather just projecting himself into your vision for the sake of driving you nuts?

Really interesting, reminded me of Frank in donnie darko.
However, we see him talking to many people accross the half life series so we know he has a physical body, but projecting himself into Gordon's mind would explain how he could just walk around very dangerous places.

Hellow every one. Projecting himself into Gordon's mind does explain it but I think he has a teleporting device in his briefcase. But when you see him on unplugged T.V.s and such I belive they may be secret cameras but that i don't know that was one of those wierd thoughts I had.

I believe many of the theories located in this thread but my main view on the Gman situation and connection with the Vortiguants is that, the vortigaunts are one of the first species/factions to take up G-mans offer on hiring out Freeman's skills, unfortunately due to the combine having much more to offer, well in G-mans "I don't care for humanity I just want the world" sort of attitude he took up the combines offer instead of the Vortigaunts. This explains Doctor Breens dialogue nearing the end of Half life 2 implieing that Gordons services were in fact being hired out even at that time. That is also the reason G-Man extracted freeman when the generator exploded, because Breen had failed to keep the resistance contained and had found him as a failure and wanted him dead, so the combine had one of their goals fulfilled and I expect the G-man was considering hiring Gordon out consistently with Combine forces. Though with all the chaos and everything spinning out of control the Vortigaunts were getting pretty pissed. They wanted to keep all of the situation under control with needless deaths (Breens and much of the resistance), they seem an intelligent race andf philosophical and so would rather negotiate than a full scale war with needless casualties. They also weren't too happy about the Gman hiring them out to the combine forces as this could have posed a very dangerous threat to all parties. And when they also realised the resistances's leaders (Alyx) being killed they decided to save her and then steal Gordon back away for themselves and teleport him to safety.

Well this is my theory and there are probably manty holes I have tried to go over in as much detail as possible but if you do find a plot hole let me know as then I could change my blanket stance lol.

Also I don't know if anybody realises but in the first half life there was an easter egg where you go inot a large room and find it full of non hostile, PURPLE vortigaunts. They don't attack Gordon and seem surprised. Maybe these Vorts are one and the same with the ones who save Alyx and Gordon. I don't know.

I think the more Freeman accomplishes, the more the Combine will take an interest in him. Perhaps he will bargain himself for earth (in service of the Combine).

Yeah I think that would be a pretty god darn storyline if he does sacrifice himself for the good of mankind a bit like JCdenton in deus ex, he can become a god in one ending hence maybe Jesus Christ Denton and in this case Gordon Freeman, Freed-em of choice not as good but still maybe some sign but this is just me rambling on really LOL.

It would be interestring to see a reverse of roles that Gordon has the choice of working for the combine or not like the ending of HL1

I actualy think multiple ending would be a good way to end the HL saga (but with the results of each left open to interpretation :p)

"Also I don't know if anybody realises but in the first half life there was an easter egg where you go inot a large room and find it full of non hostile, PURPLE vortigaunts. They don't attack Gordon and seem surprised. Maybe these Vorts are one and the same with the ones who save Alyx and Gordon. I don't know."-Citadel
That makes alot of sense now that I think of it what if that porteral had sent you to the future and if any one saw when you were on the Xen alien island if you look over ther island close you can see a alien ship flying away which might be a combine ship. But I could hardly see it. so i don't know.

I think of the Half-life saga as a book. No non-linear levels and no multiple endings, please.

I say no to the multiple endings, but yes to the idea of "multiple linear" paths to the same objectives. For instance, you can walk down the street, or go through paths within the buildings on either side with regular opportunities to switch paths. This would give the AI the freedom to flank you, without giving the player any "real" choices.

HL1 had mulitple endings. It's just HL2 is based on one of those happening.

Citadel said:
I believe many of the theories located in this thread but my main view on the Gman situation and connection with the Vortiguants is that, the vortigaunts are one of the first species/factions to take up G-mans offer on hiring out Freeman's skills, unfortunately due to the combine having much more to offer, well in G-mans "I don't care for humanity I just want the world" sort of attitude he took up the combines offer instead of the Vortigaunts. This explains Doctor Breens dialogue nearing the end of Half life 2 implieing that Gordons services were in fact being hired out even at that time. That is also the reason G-Man extracted freeman when the generator exploded, because Breen had failed to keep the resistance contained and had found him as a failure and wanted him dead, so the combine had one of their goals fulfilled and I expect the G-man was considering hiring Gordon out consistently with Combine forces. Though with all the chaos and everything spinning out of control the Vortigaunts were getting pretty pissed. They wanted to keep all of the situation under control with needless deaths (Breens and much of the resistance), they seem an intelligent race andf philosophical and so would rather negotiate than a full scale war with needless casualties. They also weren't too happy about the Gman hiring them out to the combine forces as this could have posed a very dangerous threat to all parties. And when they also realised the resistances's leaders (Alyx) being killed they decided to save her and then steal Gordon back away for themselves and teleport him to safety.

Well this is my theory and there are probably manty holes I have tried to go over in as much detail as possible but if you do find a plot hole let me know as then I could change my blanket stance lol.

Also I don't know if anybody realises but in the first half life there was an easter egg where you go inot a large room and find it full of non hostile, PURPLE vortigaunts. They don't attack Gordon and seem surprised. Maybe these Vorts are one and the same with the ones who save Alyx and Gordon. I don't know.

Could you provide a screenshot? Can't believe I missed this. Or just give me instructions as to what map its on.

Citadel said:
Also I don't know if anybody realises but in the first half life there was an easter egg where you go inot a large room and find it full of non hostile, PURPLE vortigaunts.
I can guarantee that it is false by the simple fact that no console command for summoning such a creature has ever come to light and no mod has ever used purple vortiguants (except Point of View which had you playing as a vort that coincidentally had purple manacles, and possibly Azure Sheep which is related to Point of View). We're talking about an 8-year-old game, and such things would be widely known by now.

Let me guess. You resurrected Aeris and fought tooth and nail with the Cheese Weapon too?

Guys if any of you guys have ever played Opposing force you will get a teleporter gun! wich brings me to conclusion that maybe the GMan has that Teleporter gun? I think it makes alot of sence! Think about. If the Gman has the teleporter gun he could go to danger then teleport away when danger is near him! also the T.V.s he well i don't have an idea about that.

SOrry my bad on the purple vortigaunt thing though I can swear that I read about it somewhere and heard that there is someone who said on these very forums though I am most probably imagining it though still, I don't know.

I wonder that too, maybe its because they are leaders of the vortigaunts, if they do have them or maybe they are the wisest or most powerful Vortigaunts, or maybe they are simply another breed of vortigaunt though I doubt that sincerely, a bit like you get poison headcrabs and fast headcrabs maybe they are poison vortigaunts. Its a mystery.

Did any one see my message at the bottom of page 4? If not please go back and look at it.

Citadel said:
I wonder that too, maybe its because they are leaders of the vortigaunts, if they do have them or maybe they are the wisest or most powerful Vortigaunts, or maybe they are simply another breed of vortigaunt though I doubt that sincerely, a bit like you get poison headcrabs and fast headcrabs maybe they are poison vortigaunts. Its a mystery.
Until we see them outside of wibbly wobbly g-man space, I'd say they could quite probably some kind of mystical vortiguant projection. The Green Vorts just have purple souls :p

Did any one see my message at the bottom of page 4? If not please go back and look at it.

Please lets not get on to OP4 (I will prepare for Samon to come and post a message with a long rant on OP4) it was good as a fun expansion but that was it. It had very silly logic in it's story (a gun that can teleport you to another dimension...come on. Also it took the player ages to get to Lambda complex in HL1 but you get a teleporting gun in a relatively short expansion). It probably wont be mentioned again because of these reasons:

1 I doubt GMan relies on Earth technology (except for his tie and briefcase of course :p) on the point you made about GMan having the teleport gun.

2 Race X were never mentioned again so I doubt a miscellaneous weapon will (along with Shepard hopefully).

3 When Black Mesa exploded I am sure that the prototypes were all destroyed.

4 It was done by Gearbox (although the script was done by Valve it has never been clear about the issues made in OP4 and their current stand in the HL canon).

Lastly as a side note I think the GMan can alter Gordon's perception of time is because he has superior teleportaion technology (because time is just another form of space (I do physics :p ))

blueshift911 said:
Guys if any of you guys have ever played Opposing force you will get a teleporter gun! wich brings me to conclusion that maybe the GMan has that Teleporter gun? I think it makes alot of sence! Think about. If the Gman has the teleporter gun he could go to danger then teleport away when danger is near him! also the T.V.s he well i don't have an idea about that.
No... Just no...
*die*

99.vikram said:
I still don't get why they're purple :(

Their skin doesn't appear to be purple. Rather, they seem to be glowing. I am presuming, that they aren't physically present, but manifesting as some sort of astral projections via the Vortessence. Thus, luminous bodies.

kupoartist said:
Until we see them outside of wibbly wobbly g-man space, I'd say they could quite probably some kind of mystical vortiguant projection. The Green Vorts just have purple souls :p

We do see them outside G-world, when they rescue Alyx.

Blueshift911: The Gman seems too powerful to be lugging around a teleporter gun.

99.vikram said:
We do see them outside G-world, when they rescue Alyx.
Considering that there's a rather large explosion that is just statically hanging in the background, I think we can count that as the G-World.

Max35 said:
No, I got it. Because you see Odessa talking to the Gman in the game. Atleast, that's what I took from it:) And Riom, you do have a point. But if the Gman released Gordon in HL2 simply because he had an interest in saving humanity, he contradicts himself in a way for he put Gordon back into stasis when his presence was so badly needed. So, we can only assume that certain individuals hired him.

may be Gman brought freeman to city17 for some other reason other than saving humanity.

AHA-lambda I still don't know about the teleporter gun but you are right that was a pour story line. But I have to tell you I'm still on the last level so one more thing on OP4... what does happen at the end of OP4? Its just been on my mind forever since I can't beat the last level in it. So please tell me! And also 99.vickram that also makes sense becuse in OP4 The teleporter gun was big sooo ya. And has any body seen the trailer for Half-Life:Episode 2? It looks pretty Bad Ass to me.

After you defeat the Geneworm you get teleported from the room similar to the end of HL1 and just like HL1 you talk to the GMan in a nutshell he sees you with alot of great potential but his employers do not agree and want him locked in stasis FOREVER :devil: because you are a witness (pretty stupid seeing as Barney and co are witnesses but the GMan never bothered with them maybe it was because of Race X but unlikely because Race X only came through the RC to rescue other Race X that were apprehended by the scientists in earlier experiments (confirmed by Laidlaw in an email however he said that this was "most likely"(I still think Race X are from Xen though))).

Also as an interesting side note GMan said that he seen much of himself in Shepard "willing to survive against all odds" or something like that.

Thanks AHA-Lambda.:D I just thuoght of something! Maybe The Vorts are Gman's employers! Thats why the Gman let the Vorts take Freemen in Episode 1! Maybe Gmans a vort in a human form! That would explain how the Gman get around becuse vorts can teleport! there are some holes in it but think about! It makes so much sense!I mean dosen't!:)

Maybe The Vorts are Gman's employers!

Maybe, but not likely.

Thats why the Gman let the Vorts take Freemen in Episode 1!

Let them? It does not look like he is letting them do anything, in fact it
appears they have prepared a concentrated effort to block/distract him
while they rescuse Alyx and Gordon.

Maybe Gmans a vort in a human form!

No.

That would explain how the Gman get around becuse vorts can teleport!

G-Man appears in HL1 before the vortigaunts were capable of teleporting to earth.
And he has evidenced far greater teleport (spacial manipulation) ability than even the
Nilianth did in HL1.

there are some holes in it but think about! It makes so much sense!I mean dosen't!

I'm sorry, there are a lot of holes in it, not the least of which is that the
G-Man seems far more familar with techological means to utilize teleportation
and other trans-dimensional effects than the vortigaunts.

-----
In the commentary track for Episode 1, they talk about how the Vortigaunts
are not purple. They are regular Vortigaunts with an extra filter used to
view them, to represent the special state they were in while making the
rescue attempt.

My take (for what its worth), the G-Man is able to take Gordon and himself
outside of normal space-time (slightly or greatly using some means more advanced than
the side explanations given by other characters in the game would lead you
to believe. The Vortigaunts have a telepathic link that allows them to use
the combined powers of thier minds, and their natural teleport ability to also
influence space-time, in this case interfering with the G-Man taking Gordon
away and leaving Alyx for dead.

Alyx is important to the Vorts because of the work she and her father (the Eli Vance)
have done for the resistance and helping them assimilate into earth culture.
Gordon is important because they also remember fighting against him at Black Mesa,
and that he freed them from service to the Nilianth (and because he is important to the G-Man).

Errrr sorry I did't realy think of all that.:( I can't think of any thing right now.:|

Back