G-Man does new Klipsch add in PC Mag

K

kelfar

I was happily surprised today to be browsing my new PC Magazine issue (dated May 4, 2004) and see a nice picture of the G-Man! He appears in an ad for Klipsch (the audio speaker company). The picture, in my opinion, looks even more detailed than how he looks in the psyche video. The ad is opposite page 86 (and this is the US version).

The ad says "He doesn't play fair <pic of G-Man in between> why the hell should you?" "... Cues in many of your favorite games, including Valve's Half-Life 2, are mixed and tested on Klipsch speakers. Developers choose Klipsch because of the Ultra 5.1's uncanny ability to reproduce all the game's detail and dynamics - from the most delicate headcrab claw step to the thundering gallop of a 60-foot stider (sic). ..."

I know it's not any big news, but it made me smile.... and it's just another sign that we're getting close!

OT: I've been a lurking reader of these forums for quite some time now, and have enjoyed them immensely. This is my first post - it's a pleasure to "hang out" with you people! Happy Gaming! :stare:

kelfar said:
The ad says "He doesn't play fair <pic of G-Man in between> why the hell should you?" "... Cues in many of your favorite games, including Valve's Half-Life 2, are mixed and tested on Klipsch speakers. Developers choose Klipsch because of the Ultra 5.1's uncanny ability to reproduce all the game's detail and dynamics - from the most delicate headcrab claw step to the thundering gallop of a 60-foot stider (sic). ..."

OT: I've been a lurking reader of these forums for quite some time now, and have enjoyed them immensely. This is my first post - it's a pleasure to "hang out" with you people! Happy Gaming! :stare:

Not to get terribly off topic but, I wonder what headcrab meat taste like. It sounds like a delicacy.

ohhh...Nice to have you post something. :cheers:

welcome Kelfar :) and nice first post.
now if ya could get your hands on a scanner we would be in business :)

Welcome to the Forums Kelfar!

Klipsch r t3h 1337357 5p34|<3|25 3\/4|2 !!!!!111111oneoneone

I'm planning on getting the Klipsch Promedia 5.1's when I build my next system.... only the best....

Or the Logitech Z-680

Cutey_Kaite said:
can u get a scan up?
o and welcome :D

I don't have a scanner, sorry folks! But at least PC Mag can be found readily, just remember what page to flip to next time you walk by a newsstand or book shop! I searched klipsch.com but didn't see anything there.

And thanks for the welcomes! :LOL:

probably be taken down anyway. the scan i mean. . .
weilcomen!

Anthraxxx, make sure you get the Promedia Ultra 5.1s if you go Klipsch. They rock. My suite at college even used them as a home theater system in our dorm room for DVDs and the like.

what does (sic) mean, this is humiliating because i'm doing journalism and i see it everywhere...

Rupertvdb said:
what does (sic) mean, this is humiliating because i'm doing journalism and i see it everywhere...

In case nobodies answered your question yet, I think it identifies an error in a quote. ie. "He went to the parrk" - Me. If I wanted to quote it, i'd put "He went to the parrk (sic)." so everyone would know it wasn't the person quoting who was at fault.

Definition: Used to indicate that a quoted passage, especially one containing an error or unconventional spelling, has been retained in its original form or written intentionally.

sic = "We think this is a spelling error"

Headcrab meat? Tastes like chicken... just like everything else that no one in their right mind would eat...

Brian Damage said:
sic = "We think this is a spelling error"

Oh sure, shorten my two paragraph definition to one line, why don't you? Well, I actually used dictionary.com, so there.

On an unreleated topic, headcrab meat tastes suspiciously of crab, with a tangy aftertase of head. :cheese: And I should know...

Shuzer said:
Ads aren't copyrighted AFAIK
In fact I think they would be rather happy with the free plug. :p

Can you tell us the name of the mag?

Orange said:
probably be taken down anyway. the scan i mean. . .
weilcomen!

You can link to scans of images from magazines on here

You can't, link to pages of text. But you can quote passages from it

a scan of an ad should be fine, though you might want to check with Munro first just to be on the safe side.

Damnit, the G-Man is low on money, he's now doing advertising these days... :dozey:
You know what would be cool? The G-Man selling you a mortgage..

Rupertvdb said:

They actually spelled (in the ad) "strider" as "stider", hence I added the "(sic)".

LOL re: G-Man doing mortgage commercials! :LOL:

Somebody with PC Magazine must have a scanner? Anybody?

PvtRyan said:
Damnit, the G-Man is low on money, he's now doing advertising these days... :dozey:
You know what would be cool? The G-Man selling you a mortgage..

Nice, 3-quarter flat in Lambda Complex, headcrab infested, suitable for young people with guts (or mothers-in-law), very cheap.

Come on, somebody put the scan on the web. :imu:

I could post an image of the Ad, would it be a problem?
(I would attach it...)

Nobody, not even the harshest of corporations has ever had a problem with posting reproductions of advertisements... it's free advertising for them.

I give it a try :cheers:

Attachments

• Klipsch Half-Life 2 Ad.jpg
    Klipsch Half-Life 2 Ad.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 339
Nice scan.. really good quality.
Not the most exciting ad ever, though.. lol

(sic) can also be used if your citing the same source in a paper twice in a row.

Headcrabs are tasty especially in butter sauce. (Calhoone, 2004)
yada... yada... yada... yada... yada... yada... yada...Barney Caloone added "If you boil them, make sure they are actually dead. One day I had one pop right out of the pot when I had my back turned. Good thing I had my trusty kitchen crowbar on me" (sic)

[Munro: Edited due to words breaking forum tables]

I hope this ad is better than the Bob Dylan Victoria's Secret commercial.
/me shudders

excellent, thanks. :D

I thought it was something new but everything about HL2 is SOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOL

Wait, didn't someone say that G-Man picture is new? Cuz it's not, I have seen that b4, anyone else agree with me?

I think the ad is pretty creative, caught my attention.

how could the copy editors miss something as obvious as "Stider"?

someone's gonna get in trouble :).

(sic) = said in context

Yes it's used when you are quoting something that seems out of place or seems to have an error, but when viewed with the original source makes sense; also used for spelling mistakes.

Spiffae said:
how could the copy editors miss something as obvious as "Stider"?
My guess is the guy at Klipsch that wrote up the ad probably doesn't know much about the game. =)

ok ok the "take down the ad" was kinda dumb.

But some movie off.s don't like their trailers leaking out early. : / i dunno don't mind me. im little ecstatic

The folks at Klipsch were very kind to email me a PDF of the ad.
It NEVER hurts to ask!!! :thumbs:

However, the file is too big too big to post in the forums, so email me if you would like a copy.

Back