Gabe Newell has compelled people to purchase the radeon 9800 pro just to play hl2....

Dispite popular belief, that graphics card will run all other games on the market really other than HL2 well so I don't think people will be wanting to go back to their old gf3's or 4's or radeon 9000 after experiencing the quality of one of these cards.

Originally posted by madcow555
Quote:
-----------------------
"By the time hl2 actually comes out, there will bebrand new cards with brand new architectures that make the radeon 9800 pro look like a 32 meg geforce 2"
-----------------------

Now that is the stupidest thing I've read all day. A 9800 Pro should last you for a longass time. Even now it's power isn't used to it's fullest.

What the hell are you talking about? It runs HL2 at an average of 60fps in a crap resolution (these are from Valves own benchmarks remember).

I'd hardly call that amazing.

I had my 9800 pro as soon as they came out. Ya I bought it to play hl2 for when it comes out, but they did not hype the 9800 for hl2 at that time. The reviews and benchmarks are why I purchased it, not because someone says it will run their game better. If you spend money because someone says you have to in order to really enjoy something, gimme a call, I have some property on mars to sell you, YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT!

'the next gen cardsw will be the price that everyone just bought the 9800 pro for. standard ati new card price.'

The 9800 is not new anymore. It was new back when HL2 was announced, and the street price was about $100-$150 over MSRP in many markets.

ATI could surprise us on the street price for the new cards. They're coming on very strong, and they could be moving to secure their lead, but they would have to really turn a trend around by manufacturing a lot of cards to keep availablility up and street prices down to MSRP levels. There is pretty much universally a shortage of cards the first couple of months after release, however.

I'm sure some people are angry for the reasons you state. As one of those who did purchase an ATI card partly based on valve's recommendation, I personally am not angry. As a software developer, and long time gamer, my perspective on ALL of what's happening is probably a bit different than most posters here.

You bought it on your own free will. No one forced you to buy it. You have NO case.

ummm in 4 months radeon 9800 Pro will still play HL2 great so in fact gabe has not lied in anyway. My 9700Pro will run DOOM3 very well like Carmack said year ago. nothing changed over period of time.

I bought my radeon 9800 Pro mainly so I could have a nice framerate with hl2 .. but hust think about that fact that if i would have bought let's say a ti4200 that runs current games just fine .. I would never be able to play next generation games with nice framerates .. It's just a ****ing good card and it runs every game not only hl2 you know. Offcourse it would have been better if he had said that the 9600 Pro runs it just fine .. no they just had to say that the radeon 9800 pro was the only card with good framerates on a high detail pfhh ..
well i got my radeon 9800 pro for £130 from pcworld cos of an advertisement error in the paper back on september 23rd

hehe i baught 3 and sold 2 for £250 each
lol I almost got 8 120 gig HD's like that hehehe .. but the ****ing resaler just mailed me say!ing that it was a typo .. I should sue [or however you write it] him héhé. I got mine in germany where it's a LOT cheaper and when there was a pricedrop héhé.

thank god Gabe didnt say "To get the best out of HL2, you need to jump off a cliff!"

Originally posted by Oakey
What the hell are you talking about? It runs HL2 at an average of 60fps in a crap resolution (these are from Valves own benchmarks remember).

I'd hardly call that amazing.

Looky here buddy boy I get more than 120fps when completely immobile, during combat it drops to 40fps.

Specs: P4 2.2 1GB DDR PC2700 R9800 Pro (not even OC'ed)

And that's 1024*768 4AA 2AF

Originally posted by Cander
thank god Gabe didnt say "To get the best out of HL2, you need to jump off a cliff!"
For some of these people I wish he would have.....

O my goodness this forum is full of 2 year old. The thread starter has a point a big 1. I am one of the many that after ati shader day ran all the way to the store to get a 9800 pro (i got mine on the 20th). WHy did I run out to the store with no gun at my head? because ATI SHADERS DAY WAS ON THE 12th of SEPTMEMBER and the game was suppose to be the 30th. A decent company would have not gone to the shader day and showcase their engine, if the retarded game is not gonna be out for another 8 months. this is ridiculous, If the game came out in november whocares if the xt is out, but by april there is gonna be much better stuff for the same value......

retarded kids go to school

Originally posted by ale2999
O my goodness this forum is full of 2 year old. The thread starter has a point a big 1. I am one of the many that after ati shader day ran all the way to the store to get a 9800 pro (i got mine on the 20th). WHy did I run out to the store with no gun at my head? because ATI SHADERS DAY WAS ON THE 12th of SEPTMEMBER and the game was suppose to be the 30th. A decent company would have not gone to the shader day and showcase their engine, if the retarded game is not gonna be out for another 8 months. this is ridiculous, If the game came out in november whocares if the xt is out, but by april there is gonna be much better stuff for the same value......

retarded kids go to school

seems like you are the one kicking and crying like a 2 year old to me. Why didnt you go out and get the card the day you were going to go get HL2? In which case HL2 wouldnt have been out, and you would have no need to go buy the card?

Your own fault for being impatient. Deal with it.

ale2999,
You got a favorite sports team? Each year do they aspire to be in the "biggame" and win it? Do you buy their "gear" (hats, shirts etc.) to support them? Do they win the big game every year? What happens if your team changes their logo/color scheme? Do you whine and cry because you just bought the yellow and blue hat and that changed colors to pink and green.

It was a recommendation based on the equipment at that time. Any BOZO knows that new HW comes out roughly every 6 months that beats the previous HW. With everyones thinking here you would NEVER play the game because you would be waiting on that next great piece of HW.

Its called disappointment. Get use to it life is full of it.

And? the card is great and runs hl2 fine - it will run hl2 in december and will run hl2 in april... and there are other games that run great with the 9800pro, too.

Well, originally I built my computer mainly for halflife 2, but I used to be a hardcore nvidia fan, so I picked up a 5600 ultra. Now I'm going back and getting an ATI 9800 non pro and ocing it just because of halflife 2.

just my 2cents.. I just got a 9800pro, well i just bought, havnt gotten it yet,.. iv known about the delays, but I still bought one, it was time to upgrade. My Geforce2Ultra can still play games, ecspecially with some cpu power behind it, but I decided I wanted to "Invest" in a new card that would last me as long as my Gf2ultra has. I cant tell the future, but im guessing the 9800 pro will last me for a while, and most definately through HL2,.. whenever it shows up. Until then I will push that godamned card as far as I can with every game I install..

BAIT AND SWITCH, BAIT AND SWITCH..

Of course, I see it now...

1) The 9800 pro will still run HL2 good whenever the game is released, so he didn't "lie" about that...

2) The only argument that could be made is that you paid too much for the card, because when HL2 comes out, that 9800 pro might only be $200 instead of $350

3) My Ti4200 runs the beta pretty well at 1024x768, so I'm pleased with my $80 card :)

Guys, ur not getting his point.
What he means is, by the time HL2 comes out, another card will be out that will give him MUCH BETTER PERFORMANCE than Radeon9800Pro, so instead of investing in a Radeon9800, he couldve bought a Radeonxxx(whatever comes out by then) with the same price. Therefore, he wasted his money, since he upgraded soley for halflife2....And he's not alone..

Originally posted by Klarzak
Guys, ur not getting his point.
What he means is, by the time HL2 comes out, another card will be out that will give him MUCH BETTER PERFORMANCE than Radeon9800Pro, so instead of investing in a Radeon9800, he couldve bought a Radeonxxx(whatever comes out by then) with the same price. Therefore, he wasted his money, since he upgraded soley for halflife2....And he's not alone..

BUT anyone that has bought PC components understands this. That is the chance you take. You are always "kicking" yourself if you do or you dont buy the lateset and greatest. Period. Me I held onto my $400 smackers after my upgraded MOBO/Chip. Well should I be upset that I upgraded my mobo and chip? No it is still better then the previous HW I had.

Gabe never said go buy this it is the only thing that will play HL2. They said it runs the best at this time on ATI 9800.

Let me try another.

If you want to go to a baseball game and it has been raining for the last two weeks, do you waste your time driving all the way to the stadium to find it is canceled or do you pick up a phone or try some other method to find out if the game is still on?

Same with the card/game. If you really want to upgrade to the lateset and greatest do you upgrade as soon as you can or do you wait until you definitly have a reason (HL2 on shelfs) to?

It is your own impatience that moved your hand. Not Gabe, not Valve, no one else. Suck it up and realize you made a mistake. Most men do.

rule #1 if you are going to upgrade for a game, make sure you wait til after it is released.:dozey:

This also could aply to ALL commercials and advertisements in magazines or on billboards. Are they wrong to do this? Of course not.

Of course Gabe wants people to run the game with the best hardware so they can be impressed with VALVe's work.

At this time the best card for the game is a 9800pro...period. He is stating fact and nothing else and I don't see any problem whatsoever with this. And whenever the game IS released the 9800 pro will still be an awesome card.

But moreso...Gabe did NOT twist any arms, didn't hold a gun to anyone's head, didn't kidnap children, and say "BUY THIS CARD OR ELSE!" If someone bought something while looking forward to this game, that is their own issue and no one elses. Gabe only stated what was best for the game RIGHT NOW...he never said, "Rush out and buy this immediately or else I shall kill your favortite pet!"

Anyone who would blame Gabe because THEY bought a video card is just being silly. It's like getting hammered and crashing your car and then blaming the makers of beer for YOUR actions.

Originally posted by themaestro
I agree with HUGEkebab. Valve has behaved inconsiderately.

So you suggest a lawsuit? Cmon give a little more input then a "Yeah what he said" sheep/lamb answer.

The game was soon to come out and everyone (including valve) was still planning on the 30th. He did us a favor by compairing the current cards. That way you could keep your eyes open for a good upgrade and value for what you can afford since no one knew how the cards would perform.

If you bought it ASAP...thats your choice and not a wise one.
Buying the 9800 for hl2 before hl2 is about as dumb as someone going out to buy a FX 5200 because it was below 100$ and they thought it to be a great bargin before reading up on the cards performance.

I have been eyeing the cards that come after this christmas for some time. If this delay til April happens, then im definetly buying one of those cards and hanging onto my GF2 a little longer. :-p

Also, a 9800pro IS needed for full AA/AF in games.
HL2 is about one of the only games the 9600 can match 9800's performance in because HL2 is aimed directly at the 9600 pro.

This thread is B.S. Who cares if Gabe Newell is trying to get people to buy ATI products to play hl2? As long as Nvidia continues to make drivers and people continue to modify the drivers, it doesn't matter.

Originally posted by silent
This thread is B.S. Who cares if Gabe Newell is trying to get people to buy ATI products to play hl2? As long as Nvidia continues to make drivers and people continue to modify the drivers, it doesn't matter.

Well I do because if I waited I could have bought the new Nsync CD with the money I would have saved.

Originally posted by Aknot
Well I do because if I waited I could have bought the new Nsync CD with the money I would have saved.

Nsync is so dum... I want the backstreet boys. They're so hot
*giggle*

Re: Gabe Newell has compelled people to purchase the radeon 9800 pro just to play hl2

Originally posted by HUGEkebab
So a load of people went out and bought it-just to play half life as recommended neh plugged by Gabe Newell, and what now?

I guess some people learned to use their heads before rushing out and blowing money on hyped up stuff.

Originally posted by themaestro
I agree with HUGEkebab. Valve has behaved inconsiderately.

I agree with me that people that do stuff like that either have too much money or don't use the insides of their heads before spending said money.

Shoot the bear before you sell the pelt as we used to say.

Originally posted by crabcakes66
1. unfortunatley ......these forums are full of it idiots....and the mods are to nice.....so i could spam your thread and call you names for the next week and no one would care....dont tell me to get out of your thread....

2. he did plug the hardware....becuase it was the best....there is always something bigger and better around the corner...that makes no sense...and he probobly thought they could get the game out in time.........if he didnt he would have told us alot sooner.....

3. if this is nothing but a scam by valve(yeah right) then i think it would be pretty ovbious........... these are some pretty nasty accusations...
why would valve spend the millions they made on hl just to piss it away by petending to be developing a game for the past 5 years........and why would they jeapordise everything by sceeming something like this up with ATI? Who itself is also worth half a billion or so $$.....do you think ATI is stupid enough to risk there whole corporation over something like this?
For someone with the writing skills of a mildly retarded 12 year old ADD kid who's been warned repeatedly about the dangers of run-on sentences but just can't resist, you sure do talk tough. How nice for you that the internet exists to make you feel safe to be such an @sshole.

Wait till a game is released before you upgrade, not only will the hardware possibly be cheaper but you'll have more time to save up for the best card you can get with your money. If you've upgraded your card based on a company's game that has, for a long time, had a fairly tentative release date then you may want to reconsider your thought process. Be logical and wait till you are positive the game has been released or wait till it has actually been released.

Valve owes you nothing. They plugged a card that will play HL2. Did Gabe ever say you must go get this card ASAP when the prices are high... I think not. So stop complaining, because you DO have free will and Valve did plug a quality card. It was your choice to if and when to buy the piece of hardware.

just to clarify i was being flippant bout the lawsuits thing, that was a bit of a joke. obviusly no lawsuits are oging to be issued.

as far as other replys go..

gabe did not "simply recommend" this card ffs. He went to a show on alcatraz along with ati and took 6 million off them so that they could get him to plug their product and hence increase sales SOLEY due to the fact that it will run half life 2 the best at the mo. Hence people went out and bought the product as expected by valve and ati, purely so they could play half life 2 at even half acceptable framerates at full detail. These people therefore were duped because by the time half life 2 is released the radeon 9800 pro will certainly not be the best platform with which to play half life 2. for god sake guys this was a clear deal between valve and ati to boost 9800 sales and it was a huge dupe. the next gen radeon that will probably out then will play half life at much muhc higher framerates. Its a clear breach of agreement on valves part to the consumer of the 9800 pro to delay half life this long.

and can you stop flaming and cursing with one sentence replys. my theory is not unreasonable as i have just proven above.

and dont go on about the hacking. valve can release this game next week if they wanted to I would wager. i feel they should be compelled to release it.

Yeah, I brought this up yesterday too. All that money some people spent anticipating Sept 30th.

This game won't be on the shelves till XMas of 2004, and they knew this before the so called 'hack job'.

Originally posted by HUGEkebab
just to clarify i was being flippant bout the lawsuits thing, that was a bit of a joke. obviusly no lawsuits are oging to be issued.

as far as other replys go..

gabe did not "simply recommend" this card ffs. He went to a show on alcatraz along with ati and took 6 million off them so that they could get him to plug their product and hence increase sales SOLEY due to the fact that it will run half life 2 the best at the mo. Hence people went out and bought the product as expected by valve and ati, purely so they could play half life 2 at even half acceptable framerates at full detail. These people therefore were duped because by the time half life 2 is released the radeon 9800 pro will certainly not be the best platform with which to play half life 2. for god sake guys this was a clear deal between valve and ati to boost 9800 sales and it was a huge dupe. the next gen radeon that will probably out then will play half life at much muhc higher framerates. Its a clear breach of agreement on valves part to the consumer of the 9800 pro to delay half life this long.

and can you stop flaming and cursing with one sentence replys. my theory is not unreasonable as i have just proven above.

But who wins out? You make it sound like a conspiracy to get peoples money underhandedly. AT THAT TIME the 9800Pro (actually it was an XT at alcatraz an event SPONSORED BY ATI not valve) was the best. You can not forsee EVERY event that is going to happen before it happens. Dont you think ATI and Valve are also out of money? If HL2 was released on time they would have had my money...BUT I waited. As did a lot more. Just because you are (or others are) impatient and have to have it now is no reason to blame someone else for unforseen circumstances (cant prove otherwise) that arise.

The Alcatraz event was just where ATI chose to release its' XT cards and their partners were asked to speak at the event, Valve/Dell/Intel (they were mentioned but I didnt see them present)
That isnt Valves doing but ATI's.
They featured the XT not the 9800 pro. The 6 million ATI paid valve was an auction which ATI and Nvidia bid for. It could have been 1 million or less if they stopped there. Valve then chose ATI because they performed the best and required no optimizations just to get it to run right and at a acceptable performance level.

So how much better is this 9800pro card anyway? Are we really going to notice any difference from other high-end cards out there? I mean, really. It's like a mediocre golf player going out and buying the most expensive cutting-edge golf clubs and high-performance golf ball, and expecting to not be a mediocre player anymore. At some point, your ratio of cost-to-return is lousy.

I prefer to wait a little while for the cost to come down (for ANY electronics I buy) to get the most for my money. The computer and electronics market is just too volitile for "I have to have that NOW!" and not expect to be throwing money away. I have been burned too many times in the past by purchasing cutting-edge stuff at top prices only to have someone else come out with something better for the same price a month later. Its pretty rare you NEED the absolute best right away....especially for people like us who are just mainly playing game. They are just games, after all.

But thats me...I am a cheapskate, i guess.

valve told me to buy it and i did! now it's their fault!

Back