Games in which the protagonist dies after winning(?)

Yeah, but he's pretty much near to death at the end of the second one, so unless they release a third one to say otherwise I suppose you can assume he is dead.

Payne is not dead. Paramedics were present on site. Plus, in the DOA ending, Mona survives.

Planescape: Torment is kind of 50/50.

You regain your mortality and go off to fight in a war in hell, so...
Plus there are endings in which your whole party remains dead.

Who's to say they find him in time ?
The Ending credits state that 'Max Payne's Journey into the night will continue' so it was surely intended that the character was to survive the final battle. Of course, Max Payne 3 hasn't happened and we may never see it...

The Ending credits state that 'Max Payne's Journey into the night will continue' so it was surely intended that the character was to survive the final battle. Of course, Max Payne 3 hasn't happened and we may never see it...

Hmm, suppose so, but until I see a third one i'll stick by the assumption that he's dead .. for now :p

You don't really know for sure, but I'll assume Jackie Estacado "died" at the end of The Darkness. The Darkness can't live without a host, but Jackie is probably no more.

You don't really know for sure, but I'll assume Jackie Estacado "died" at the end of The Darkness. The Darkness can't live without a host, but Jackie is probably no more.

I hope there comes a sequal. That was a great game.

Something bad always happens to the hero of the Elder Scrolls series.

TES1: Arena
Fades out of existence and public eye.
TES2: Daggerfall
Vaporized due to the Warp in the West
TES3: Morrowind
Though it's an easter egg, the Chieftain of Thirsk, which you could become in TES3, is found dead in the Jeralls in TES4.
TES4: Oblivion
Who knows, but I'm guessing the Champion of Cyrodiil looses all self awareness and merges with Sheogorath; a massive trick on his part making the hero think he was a god

Ok the last 2 are a stretch but definitely the Daggerfall hero gets screwed over.

I hope there comes a sequal. That was a great game.
They did a great job with the story and the characters, and it has recieved a lot of positive feedback so it's very likely. Let's hope for some Witchblade/Angelus action!

Who's to say they find him in time ?
I'll responde with a quote:
Max Payne 2 outro said:
Policeman: Oh my god... they're all dead..
*flashlight finds Max kneeling next to Mona (or, on DOA, embracing here)
Policeman 2: Wait... we have a live one here! (We found two survivors!) Get the paramedics here!

Spoilers for several games

The end of "Knee Deep in the Dead" from Doom 1, the marine dies.

And at the end of Doom 3 expansion the main char supposedly dies in the end (the maledict picks him up and slams him into the ground, the protagonist shoves the artifact into the bertrugers mouth killing him then the screen goes white)

HL1 - Stay on the tram after killing Nihlanth.

Starcraft - Tassadar dies sacrificing himself to kill the overmind

Hitman Blood Money - In one of 2 endings 47 dies

Diablo 1+2 - Diablo possesses the hero at the end of the first game, and is killed in Diablo 2

I didn't know Hitman had multiple endings. What do you have to do to get the bad ending?

I didn't know Hitman had multiple endings. What do you have to do to get the bad ending?

Just stay in the coffin through the credits, and the casket will be lowered, ending the game. In the other ending, you get out of the coffin by pressing a button several times, and kill everyone at the funeral, then escape

Just stay in the coffin through the credits, and the casket will be lowered, ending the game. In the other ending, you get out of the coffin by pressing a button several times, and kill everyone at the funeral, then escape
Oooh, I understand. Never did try out the first one.

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance of course! Just recalled it actually.

Plus, the bad endin of Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.

in pariah, your character caps himself in the head after losing his nerve

Why haven't anyone mentioned Bloodlines yet?

In 2 out of the 5 posssible endings the protagonist dies for sure. But in the Kwiejin ending whether he/she dies or survives is uncertain. Probably survives since Vampires can't drown.

Spoilers for several games

The end of "Knee Deep in the Dead" from Doom 1, the marine dies.

And at the end of Doom 3 expansion the main char supposedly dies in the end (the maledict picks him up and slams him into the ground, the protagonist shoves the artifact into the bertrugers mouth killing him then the screen goes white)

HL1 - Stay on the tram after killing Nihlanth.

Starcraft - Tassadar dies sacrificing himself to kill the overmind

Hitman Blood Money - In one of 2 endings 47 dies

Diablo 1+2 - Diablo possesses the hero at the end of the first game, and is killed in Diablo 2

My dude never died in diablo 2, afaik.

in pariah, your character caps himself in the head after losing his nerve

He does this because he realizes the game he's taking part in is a complete wankfest. Come the conclusion he realizes that the player loathes every inch of his body because from the off-set of the game he knew much more than them about the plot and was, infact, working for the bad guys when I, the player, did not know. Jack Mason is a retard. His game sucked. He finally understood that to make it end, to make me, the player, cease my suffering and torment, he'd have to shoot himself in the head and blow his pixelated brains out.

I'm not sure about you, but I cheered, and I was really, really pleased he took that bitch Karina with him, because there's another waste of memory.

He does this because he realizes the game he's taking part in is a complete wankfest. Come the conclusion he realizes that the player loathes every inch of his body because from the off-set of the game he knew much more than them about the plot and was, infact, working for the bad guys when I, the player, did not know. Jack Mason is a retard. His game sucked. He finally understood that to make it end, to make me, the player, cease my suffering and torment, he'd have to shoot himself in the head and blow his pixelated brains out.

I'm not sure about you, but I cheered, and I was really, really pleased he took that bitch Karina with him, because there's another waste of memory.

Wtf, you played it all the way through?

Oh, I stuck it out. Actually, by about mid-way through I found myself quite enjoying the absolute appalling nature of the game design; as well as the horrendous script, pacing, characters and dialogue. Pointing out the ludicrous flaws and stupidity of the designers was the games greatest feature.

It was just that bad.

Wow, sounds like a game equivalent of Battlefield Earth. Sweet.

Sure, give it a shot. It's kind of like the official, "How not to make an FPS." I recommend it.

Just thought of another one. Isn't the protagonist of a certain GTA series prequel the later-to-be-murdered brother of a character in Vice City?

Oh yeah and isn't the protagonist from GTA 3 killed in the opening of GTA 2 (set in the future I believe)

Things don't look too rosey for for Gordon Freeman when the screen fades to black at the end of the "Uplink" demo. Of course, it's assumed to be non-canonical.

Gordon gets teleported someowhere else after the fade. Teleport sound can be heard.

Fear Effect, bad endings. Some of the protagonists die too.

Clock Tower series, bad endings.

Chaser. Protagonist doesn't dies but he gets captured by some soldiers.

Another possible Freeman death occurs in Codename: Gordon, SPOILER in which it's possible to complete the game by jumping down a bottomless hole after defeating the final boss. Although this isn't the correct way to finish, it will cause the credits to roll, even if the player has several extra lives.

Oh I found out what you meant by the other guy that dies. It's Lance Vance's brother (can't remember his name) in GTA:VCS and dies in GTA:VC.

Why haven't anyone mentioned Bloodlines yet?

In 2 out of the 5 posssible endings the protagonist dies for sure. But in the Kwiejin ending whether he/she dies or survives is uncertain. Probably survives since Vampires can't drown.

Someone decided to take the sarcophagus for himself.....

I sided with Nines :cheese:

Back