Gamescom 2011 - Doug Lombardi Confirms 'We will be there'

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Today GameCloud.nl published a list of attendees at this years Gamescom event. Contacting Doug Lombardi for confirmation on the list, he confirmed quite simply by saying, "We will be there".[br]This will probably be the the first major coverage for DOTA 2 at an event as testing on the game continues behind closed doors. (DOTA 2 test server image - from <a href="http://www.neogaf.com]Neogaf[/url])

The first person to post about Episode Three will receive a ban for the rest of eternity.

My first thought was that it would be 100% DOTA 2.

EDIT: but there will probably be some P2 DLC talk as well.

I have to say I am really excited to see Valve's first big step outside of the FPS genre, I know DOTA and it's clones get a mixed reaction from a lot of gamers, but it will certainly be interesting to have a look at how they approach a fantasy setting.

The day when we can't talk about half life on a half life fan forum.

What have we become.

So we know what happens to the first, but what what happens to the subsequent people who post about Episode Three?

Long forgotten ancient myth, best left undisturbed for whatever phlegm spit-up of truth there might be to it...

who gives a **** about DOTA 2, where's episode 3?

I've had a good feeling about every event they've done since Episode 2. I'm not saying they won't talk about it, but having correctly guessed the first event where they actually start talking about it is like saying the "good feeling" a lottery winner had before winning was actually meaningful and not just the same silly optimism they had for every ticket they bought.

I've had a good feeling about every event they've done since Episode 2. I'm not saying they won't talk about it, but having correctly guessed the first event where they actually start talking about it is like saying the "good feeling" a lottery winner had before winning was actually meaningful and not just the same silly optimism they had for every ticket they bought.

Unless my recollection is shoddy I've been fairly cynical about most prior events showing Episode 3, unlike most. Still, I am dangerously close to falling into the trap you described.

Meh. Kinda given up hope for that game whose name shall not be spoken. Don't really care about DOTA.

I'm amazed by how poorly VALVe are treating the future of the franchise this site is named after.

I mean, I get it, VALVe are secretive and that's their style. But to keep their lips so tightly shut, it's not even worth a laugh anymore, it's just downright f*cking annoying. Next year will mark 5 years since The Orange Box was released, that's the time between HL1's release and the announcement of HL2. If there's nothing by then I'm going to jump off a bridge.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm going to buy it and love it no matter when it comes out. :/

Portal is hardly an FSP.

I said 'First Big Step' so as not to ignore the deviations they have already made. However even without the guns and enemies, Portal still creates a design process that Valve are very comfortable with. If I had to list the things that set HL2 apart from CoD for example, I wouldn't choose to focus on the weapons or enemy design myself, but rather the pacing and freedom of interaction from the player (among other things), which translate into Portal pretty logically, due to them having the same camera and similar level design philosophy, etc.

DOTA on the other hand, is a top-down strategy game. The way information is presented to the player, or the way the player connects and interacts with a game like that is completely different. I am just interested to see what they do with certain aspects of it.

We tried free speech once; didn't like it. So we went back to the good old (mostly) benevolent dictatorship. It works!

DOTA on the other hand, is a top-down strategy game. The way information is presented to the player, or the way the player connects and interacts with a game like that is completely different. I am just interested to see what they do with certain aspects of it.

Dota is not a strategy game. You mash the keyboard until you win. And if you're not winning, you blink and try later.

hopefully the development of DOTA2 doesn't require much of Valve's resources, since the community developers who did the first DOTA are working on the sequel as was with Counter-Strike. I wonder if since Portal 2 is out of the way now they can focus the bulk of their work on Ep3/HL3, the thought of which gets me excited in my nether regions

Maybe they will surprise us? Yes, oh yes.
Left 4 Dead 3 and Portal 2: Episode 1.

I thought "is it worth getting banned over Ep3 talk?".. than I noticed I just don't care anymore about Episode 3. I am getting older. Good job.

YAAAAAAY! DOTA2! MAYBE THEY WILL MAKE A L4D 3 AFTER TOO! JUST CAN'T WAIT.

Possibility they might give us some more info on the Portal 2 DLC #1!

There is still a big discussion to be had over whether or not DOTA 2 will be free? What's the general consensus?

There is still a big discussion to be had over whether or not DOTA 2 will be free? What's the general consensus?

Valve were discussing the possibility of making TF2 free-to-play a while back, because the bulk of the game's revenue was coming from the MannCo store. The reason they gave against it, was that there was less incentive for unscrupulous players not to cheat, as it would be easy to simply create a new account every time they got banned.

If DOTA2 were to go free-to-play, then they would have had to have come up with an alternate solution to the problem. There has also been talk about rating systems for player behavior lately, I would not be surprised if DOTA2 were a test bed for such a system. League of Legends recently launched its 'Tribunal' system along these lines, which had.. interesting results: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/25/u...-griefers-and-the-ridiculous-things-they-say/

You mean Portal 2 Episode 1? :naughty:

Dota is not a strategy game. You mash the keyboard until you win. And if you're not winning, you blink and try later.
Couldn't you atleast play an interesting song if you're going to be a broken record?

I know I've posted this before, but DOTA2 doesn't seem like a major Valve project. There was several months worth of game media that followed the L4D and Portal 2 announcements. DOTA2 hasn't seen much of anything at all.

If Valve is working on any big, we havn't seen it yet.

Lasphere
[strike]Manhack[/strike] Banned

Have you even played DoTA? Because there is almost zero keyboard mashing. It's mouse click mashing. ;-)

Back