GeForce FX 5600 256MB OR ATI RADEON 9600 128MB

Which Card Should I Buy

• Ati Radeon 9600

Votes: 54 83.1%
  • NVidia Geforce Fx 5600

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
The Ati 9600 is worst then the ati 9500. So I would say that the FX5600 256ddram is mush better.
1) FX5600 have double more ram
2) FX5600 is faster/better.

Goliath doesnt know much dont pay attention to him. Nvidia's PS is so crappy compared to the 9600(or any dx9 ati card for that matter), it beats the 5900. More memory doesnt mean better gameplay because its probably clocked slower.

thx to everyone for your help
i will be gone all day and when i get back i will make up my mind which card to buy
so if u can keep the info flowing so i make the right decision
thx again to everyone :cheers:

Originally posted by LilBoy0626
thx to everyone for your help
i will be gone all day and when i get back i will make up my mind which card to buy
so if u can keep the info flowing so i make the right decision
thx again to everyone :cheers:

i'd suggest you take a look at the different benchmarks/reviews that are on Tomshardware.com and anandtech.com, i'm pretty sure your best buy will be radeon, but check the reviews just to be sure....

Go with Nvidia if you want a low performing DX 9 card, go with ATI if you want a card that can perform DX 9 hella lot better then any Nvidia card. Sure it cost more but not by much and its VERY worth it.

Go with Nvidia if you want a low performing DX 9 card, go with ATI if you want a card that can perform DX 9 hella lot better then any Nvidia card. Sure it cost more but not by much and its VERY worth it.
Actually i just noticed the ati is the same price i would have to do a 20 dollar mail in rebate

Guys, I'm sick of this. Ever since Gabe stated that ATi's cards would preform better than nVidia's almost everyone on the boards has suddenly become an ATi fanboy.

Whenever anyone asks which card to buy, there is always a quick response of "ATI PWNS NVIDIA SUXXORS GO ATI WHOO!!!!11."
If anyone says anything positive about nVidia or their cards they immediately get flamed, as you can see above in this thread. It may not have been the worst flame I've ever seen, but I would still consider it that.

After reading so many of these discussions, I think that this has gone way too far. If it was up to me, I'd ban some of the people who have been posting like that.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if someone replied to me "STFU YOU MUST LIEK NVIDIA THEY ARE TEH SUCK!!!" To that I say, no, I am not biased toward either side. Maybe ATi cards really are better, faster, than nVidia's. Ok. But please try to explain why instead of forcing your views onto others and flaming them for disagreeing with you.

I would go with the 9600 Pro. First, you can overclock it crazy high. After you do overclock it you can have the same performance as a Radeon 9700 Pro! Which is a very good deal. Nvidia isn't doing good right now and I wouldn't recommand any Geforce FX cards! By the time you overclock that Radeon 9600 Pro you will be leaving that 5600 Ultra in the dust. ;)

Originally posted by Snakebyte
Guys, I'm sick of this. Ever since Gabe stated that ATi's cards would preform better than nVidia's almost everyone on the boards has suddenly become an ATi fanboy.

Whenever anyone asks which card to buy, there is always a quick response of "ATI PWNS NVIDIA SUXXORS GO ATI WHOO!!!!11."
If anyone says anything positive about nVidia or their cards they immediately get flamed, as you can see above in this thread. It may not have been the worst flame I've ever seen, but I would still consider it that.

After reading so many of these discussions, I think that this has gone way too far. If it was up to me, I'd ban some of the people who have been posting like that.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if someone replied to me "STFU YOU MUST LIEK NVIDIA THEY ARE TEH SUCK!!!" To that I say, no, I am not biased toward either side. Maybe ATi cards really are better, faster, than nVidia's. Ok. But please try to explain why instead of forcing your views onto others and flaming them for disagreeing with you.
You cannot force your views onto somebody over the forum. Why? They *could* always ignore it :)

At any rate, my take:
The 5600 is a horrible deal for the future. Truly horrible. Its designed for yesterdays games, not tomorrows. What we see now is just the beginning.

Both cards are rather weak (I would suggest spending some extra money to get a cheap 9800np), but the 9600 is the clear winner in nearly every department... At the same pricerange, its not even a fight for which is the best. Its exactly the same across the board, whether it be high end or low end.

Yeah, the truth be told Nvidia is faster in older games(DX 8 games) and ATI is damn fast in DX9 games which is the future. ATI all the way.

You can get a 9600 Pro from www.gameve.com for $137 (including shipping) that is better than both of those cards. Especially overclocked, the 9600 Pro's frame rates are way higher than FX 5600 and the image quality and direct x9.0 effects run faster.

No competition.

You people judge way too fast. If you look at these FutureMark benchmarks you'll notice that the FX5600 and the Radeon9600 are very close performance wise.

The FX5600 is faster in the DX7 and DX8 tests. Now the ATI fans around here will quickly point out that the Radeon9600 wins in the DX9 tests (PixelShader 2.0 and such), while shouting "DX9 is the future!". However, both cards can only produce a pathetic 10-20 fps in those DX9 tests. That's completely unplayable. If you want DX9 features in your game then there's no choice but to save money for a Radeon9700, because both the Radeon9600 and the FX5600 aren't up to the job.

I've chosen the FX5600 as I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a videocard and it gives a good performance for its price.

Yes but if you overclock (which is easy as pie), the 9600 pro is much closer to 9700 performance than the lowly FX 5600.

Originally posted by Arno
You people judge way too fast. If you look at these FutureMark benchmarks you'll notice that the FX5600 and the Radeon9600 are very close performance wise.

The FX5600 is faster in the DX7 and DX8 tests. Now the ATI fans around here will quickly point out that the Radeon9600 wins in the DX9 tests (PixelShader 2.0 and such), while shouting "DX9 is the future!". However, both cards can only produce a pathetic 10-20 fps in those DX9 tests. That's completely unplayable. If you want DX9 features in your game then there's no choice but to save money for a Radeon9700, because both the Radeon9600 and the FX5600 aren't up to the job.

I've chosen the FX5600 as I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a videocard and it gives a good performance for its price.
3Dmark2k3 can only give a show, and those are meant to stress the cards to the extreme (even a 9800 Pro only gets like 30-40 fps).
However, if you would have noticed all the tests of DX9 games (not Gunmetal, not Doom III and definetly not Pacman 3D), you would see the 9600 can play them rather well. It outperforms the 5900 Ultra.

i wouldn't be surprised if you get under 15fps with the 5600

Hell, what you can even do, is buy a Radeon 9500 PRO, and overclock it to a Radeon 9700.....that is if you know how to find the BIOS hack.

Well, I would personally screw both those cards and go right to a Radeon 9800 Pro....Just start saving...And if you really want a badass card wait for the Radeon9800XT(which will be bundeled with HL2) to come out...Now that is the card I'm getting! The Radeon9800XT is going to rock!

Well, many of you guys have been assumeing he was talking about the 9600 Pro (which I have) and the 5600 ultra.
Between a 9600np and a 5600 256mb, I'd go with the 5600, mainly beacue, as far as i've heard, it is jsut as good, and sometime better than the 9600np. If you are willing to spend a bit more, get a 9600 Pro, which really is ana amzing card.

unless he is planing on playing older dx8 titles or less, by all means get the 5600 ultra it will perform the best, but for future dx9 titiles the 9600 pro/non pro will stomp the 5600 ultra, not becuase its not a "good" card, but nvidia put in a weak "this is hardware not software so even if they tweak the hell out of the drivers the only way it will get better fps is at the loss of IQ" PS2.0, its just weak, the ati has much more muscle behind its implementaion then nvidia does, so it won't get much better (unless they do the iq drop to get better fps)

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
Goliath doesnt know much dont pay attention to him.

That was rude, watch your 'tude.

Both cards are fine for HL2. Though on a direct comparison, the 9600 is better than the 5600. ATI is also no longer shipping the 9500.

ATi 9xxx > nVidia FX
In virtually every test for gfx cards, ati cards destroy the fx series.

People may be saying that all nVidia cards suck just because Gabe recommended an ATi card, but can you people do anything to justify that they are incorrect?

I would personally get a 9500 Pro instead of the 9600 Pro, but you know, whatever you want.

Originally posted by ankalar
People may be saying that all nVidia cards suck just because Gabe recommended an ATi card, but can you people do anything to justify that they are incorrect?

I would personally get a 9500 Pro instead of the 9600 Pro, but you know, whatever you want.

Its true. Its funny how all the kids jump to one side or the other, without really knowing why.

Originally posted by dawdler
3Dmark2k3 can only give a show, and those are meant to stress the cards to the extreme (even a 9800 Pro only gets like 30-40 fps).
However, if you would have noticed all the tests of DX9 games (not Gunmetal, not Doom III and definetly not Pacman 3D), you would see the 9600 can play them rather well. It outperforms the 5900 Ultra.

LOL! Did you just say that the 9600 outperforms the 5900 Ultra? LOL! You sir get the fanboy of the year award. And yes, I agree with whoever said it earlier that this board is nothing more than hardcore ATI fanboys. I've never seen so many people with their nose so far up ATI and Gabe Newell's ass.

positive14.jpg

Originally posted by jbscotchman
LOL! Did you just say that the 9600 outperforms the 5900 Ultra? LOL! You sir get the fanboy of the year award. And yes, I agree with whoever said it earlier that this board is nothing more than hardcore ATI fanboys. I've never seen so many people with their nose so far up ATI and Gabe Newell's ass.

positive14.jpg

actaully when it comes to shaders.....the 9600 does win.....

talking todays games...5600 ultra wins.
Pixel Shader intesive games...9600 pro.

positive14.jpg
The radeon 9600 pro outperfrming the 5900 ultra in... gasp... DX9 software

http://www.beyond3d.com/misc/traod_dx9perf/index.php?p=2

btw you're the only fanboy here, mr. nvidia fan, we just wnat the fastest card for hl2.

Originally posted by Asus
talking todays games...5600 ultra wins.
Pixel Shader intesive games...9600 pro.
The Radeon 9600 in the bestbuy-link of the first post is not a pro. It would still win in pixel shader intensive games, but it's of course slower then a 9600pro.

amazing how I go to diff. reviews and such and I always see something diff. from what that SAME site says, everyone always reverts to that SAAAAAAAAME site that Gabe said to go to. The same Gabe that said he uses a ATi 9800 in his computer and used it for the HL2 demo (supposedly) Wish you people would get your head out of Gabe's ass and check other sites and reviews. Thanks.

Originally posted by DanteTDH
amazing how I go to diff. reviews and such and I always see something diff. from what that SAME site says, everyone always reverts to that SAAAAAAAAME site that Gabe said to go to. The same Gabe that said he uses a ATi 9800 in his computer and used it for the HL2 demo (supposedly) Wish you people would get your head out of Gabe's ass and check other sites and reviews. Thanks.
This has already been dragged up alot...
A) EVERY site reports FX DX9 performance to be really poor.
B) EVERY site reports the FX to be slow in modern games (ie not Quake 3 engine games)
C) Gabe has never talked about a site
D) Gabe has said the 9800 could perform 5-10x better in intense shader operations for HL2 (meaning, not the game, just specifics)
E) Gabe admitted using a 9800 in his computer (you got that right)
F) The HL2 E3 demo has been CONFIRMED to run on a 9800 by Valve.

If I was rude I would say you should get your ass out of Nvidias pixel pipe. Oh wait, I did :)

positive14.jpg

Where have you been when DX9 games came out? Under a rock? Or maybe your just stupid?

Back