General sentiment in here - X800 Pro or the 6800 GT?

X800 Pro or the 6800 GT?

• 6800 GT

Votes: 79 47.9%
  • X800 Pro

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Equal or performance differences hardly matters

Votes: 29 17.6%

• Total voters

Champ

Spy
Reaction score
Those that are allowed to vote are those that have either tried both cards or actually seen benchmarks comparing the two. No posting on how you have heard from your friend that the GT pwns the shiit out of the X800.

EDIT: I ****ed up the poll. Will a mod please fix it with 3 options: The 6800 GT, the X800 Pro, and the third should be a: Equal or performance differences that hardly matters

You're not likely to find many people with very much experience with both. What i've read would indicate the 6800gt is the better choice.

It doesnt pwn the shit out of a x800 pro, but it does better in most games yes.

Considering that they both do extremely well in all areas and that they each have their strong points, it's more difficult to pick out a winner from each persons perspective.

What I would do is look at benchmarks for the games you play and at the resolutions (AA/AF) that you would use.

The average of all the games that I have seen, the 6800 GT wins by a little bit.

If you perfer DX9 games then that will make the X800pro stand out much more and also if you use AA/AF.

Using higher resolutions like 1600x1200 will let the 6800 GT stand out because of the 16 pipelines.

PS3.0 helps the 6800GT improve more than it would have in those DX9 benchmarks that the X800 Pro wins.
3DC will help the X800 Pro stand out once again in future games that use high detailed textures and especially with AA/AF enabled.

The 6800 GT can be OCed to the speed of the 6800 Ultra. (Note: The X800 XT is faster than the 6800 Ultra overall.)
The X800 Pro can be OCed by quite a bit as well and if you get a VIVO version you can Flash it to an X800 XT (Unlocking the 4 other pipelines).

In the end they are actually pretty close to each other for performance except towards their extreme favorites (D3 and HL2). But they both allow for great framerates in all games.

My suggestion if you are buying locally instores? Get which one is available.

I think this should be a sticky to stop the threads about "should I get the 6800gt or x800 pro"

blackeye said:
I think this should be a sticky to stop the threads about "should I get the 6800gt or x800 pro"
Sounds like a good idea. ;)

Asus said:
Sounds like a good idea. ;)

Why don't you make an end all article to settle this timeless debate. I think that would be a much better solution than having a stickied poll

PS - Clean out your PM's.

blahblahblah said:
Why don't you make an end all article to settle this timeless debate. I think that would be a much better solution than having a stickied poll
What a task!
blahblahblah said:
PS - Clean out your PM's.
Good idea! Done.

Asus said:
Considering that they both do extremely well in all areas and that they each have their strong points, it's more difficult to pick out a winner from each persons perspective.

What I would do is look at benchmarks for the games you play and at the resolutions (AA/AF) that you would use.

The average of all the games that I have seen, the 6800 GT wins by a little bit.

If you perfer DX9 games then that will make the X800pro stand out much more and also if you use AA/AF.

Using higher resolutions like 1600x1200 will let the 6800 GT stand out because of the 16 pipelines.

PS3.0 helps the 6800GT improve more than it would have in those DX9 benchmarks that the X800 Pro wins.
3DC will help the X800 Pro stand out once again in future games that use high detailed textures and especially with AA/AF enabled.

The 6800 GT can be OCed to the speed of the 6800 Ultra. (Note: The X800 XT is faster than the 6800 Ultra overall.)
The X800 Pro can be OCed by quite a bit as well and if you get a VIVO version you can Flash it to an X800 XT (Unlocking the 4 other pipelines).

In the end they are actually pretty close to each other for performance except towards their extreme favorites (D3 and HL2). But they both allow for great framerates in all games.

My suggestion if you are buying locally instores? Get which one is available.

Good explanation, I like it. I'd have to go with the 6800 because I'd rather have for example 1280x1024 no AA than 1024x768 4xAA in a game. The higher resolution looks better, and 1280x1024 no AA to me looks like 1024x768 4x AA jagged edge-wise.

hey.. go for it, and while your there, buy me one :D ... you know you want to... ;)

From what I've heard and read, the 6800 doesn't have VGA connector's, it needs two power connectors and requires a power supply of at least 400-500 wats. No thank you.

Cybernoid said:
From what I've heard and read, the 6800 doesn't have VGA connector's, it needs two power connectors and requires a power supply of at least 400-500 wats. No thank you.
The discussion is about the 6800 GT, which requires only a single power connector and a 350 Watt power supply.

Cybernoid said:

Yeah the Ultra needs 2 power connectors, but now it's only 380 watt psu, and most good gaming rigs have that. In fact maximum pc said they could run it fine on a high quality 275 watt psu. The GT is only single slot, doesn't need 2 power connectors, and 300w.

My Aeolus 6800GT said a minimum of 480W is needed. How sick is that?

Cybernoid said:

NVIDIA's initial estimate of a 480W PSU for a 6800Ultra isn't the case now - after some fine tuning of the power circuity from the reference model to the retail model, it'll now run fine on pretty much any 350W PSU. Regarding the 2nd connector, I've read you don't need to use it if you aren't overclocking.

Interestingly enough, the FX5950 consumed more power (in 3D mode) than the 6800Ultra does. Xibt has an interesting article here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power.html.

Regarding the lack of VGA connectors - I don't know why it's a problem. Just get converter (usually included) and you're away. I think it's a step in the right direction as the VGA port is beginning to die out, now that LCD monitors are becoming mainstream (therefore DVI is becoming mainstream).

Voted "Equal or performance differences that hardly matters"
From what I've seen, the 6800 GT is a bit faster than the X800 Pro, but nothing REALLY noticeable. As Asus has said, get whatever is available!

Got my GT last week, and it's it simply put, amazing.

im getting teh x800, why u ask?

pros: my model can be flahed to a xt pe, saving me 200= dollars
its ati, and hl2 good

cons: yest teh 6800gt is better, but can u flash it and save 200? noo

Gajdycz said:
im getting teh x800, why u ask?

pros: my model can be flahed to a xt pe, saving me 200= dollars
its ati, and hl2 good

cons: yest teh 6800gt is better, but can u flash it and save 200? noo

No but you could probably overclock to Ultra speeds then it's the same thing. But it's not a sure thing, and it's definitely not a sure thing you'll be able to flash to a PE, you're taking a risk whenever you overclock or softmod/flash a card, but there is a pretty good chance it will work. I hope you know to get a VIVO X800 pro to flash, newegg has a Sapphire X800 pro VIVO which is good, Sapphire's are awesome and it's out of stock currently but here's the link:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-375&depa=0

johnnypoopoopant said:
does 6800 gt have aa/af...if so which does a better job on aa/af??

Any new card will give you AA/AF capability, it's actually been around for a long time now. I think the consensus seems to be ATI is a bit better when it comes to AA/AF.

johnnypoopoopant said:
thanks darkstar...im in a dillema with the 6800 gt and the x800 pro

For what it's worth I bought a 6800 GT. It was less expensive at the time and the 4 extra pipelines just seem to give it a little extra nudge over the X800 Pro. Also, Shader Model 3.0 gives me a nice little performance boost in Far Cry.

They are both great cards though.

ATi is supposed to be a little better in AA and AF, I think that the 6800GT and it's extra 4 pipelines is for someone who wants high resolutions, X800 pro is good for someone who wants to crank up the AA and AF.

ATi is supposed to be a little better in AA and AF, I think that the 6800GT and it's extra 4 pipelines is for someone who wants high resolutions, X800 pro is good for someone who wants to crank up the AA and AF.
see thats the thing i want both..but i cannot always have everything...unless u get the xt pe

johnnypoopoopant said:
see thats the thing i want both..but i cannot always have everything...unless u get the xt pe

I'm just gonna say that I would prefer the 6800GT over the X800 pro, yes the X800 pro is probably better in AA and AF but that doesn't mean the 6800GT sucks at it, it's still good with AA and AF. It'll have no problem running at least 1280x1024 with AA and AF turned on. Unless you want to save up a little more for the X800XT PE, that would be worth it.

but i cannot find xt pe anywhere they are all sold out...did the same happen with the 9800 xt last year??

johnnypoopoopant said:
but i cannot find xt pe anywhere they are all sold out...did the same happen with the 9800 xt last year??

Well wait until they're in stock, really it'll be so worth it.

you really think so, im sorta worried that the xt pe's will dissapear and the only thing left to get will be the pros

If you're split between the 6800 Ultra and the X800 XT PE, then by all means go for the X800... If it's a choice between 6800 GT and X800 Pro, get whatever card you can.

6800 Ultra < X800 XT PE
6800 GT > X800 Pro

That's how I see it. Oh, and just letting anyone know, all of these cards are extremely good, as I just got my 6800 GT, and it's amazing. I believe my 3DMark '03 score, with an AMD A-64 S-754 3000+ CPU was 10,645. So yeah, it's really good.

johnnypoopoopant said:
you really think so, im sorta worried that the xt pe's will dissapear and the only thing left to get will be the pros

They aren't gonna dissappear anytime soon.

Here's one in stock from buy.com if you wanna pay $50 more than normal:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10374556&loc=101&hdwt=22114&sp=1

And it is the PE.

Better yet, a Sapphire. It doesn't say PE, but if you scroll down it has the clock speeds of a PE:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=190411

Another Celestica PE:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=3509418

That 3rd one isn't in stock the but other two are.

but the thing about me is that i dont have a credit card so i have get mines at a retail store like bestbuy or compusa :(

Back