Give me ONE reason...

Ikerous said:
I wouldn't so much like them to teach creationism
As much i would like for them to teach the shortcoming of evolution
Evolution has no shortcomings! :eek: AHHHHH!

does anyone really know how silly the whole story of creationism sounds? according to some bible the scholars the world is barely 10,000 years old :upstare:

shadow6899 said:
im sorry but i wont budge on this one, no religion. if i dont believe in any religion then shouldn't my religion be practiced?? nothing? then should we just sit around for 15 20 mins. and talk about nothing?? and there is tons more proof pointing against creationism then w/ it. where you people get your facts is amazing me.

Its not so hard try doing some research..... :p

just because you dont agree with it doesn't me that I shouldn't have the right to do it anyway.

CptStern said:
does anyone really know how silly the whole story of creationism sounds? according to some bible the scholars the world is barely 10,000 years old :upstare:

How would you argue against it?

Yakuza said:
Do you actualy read my posts. Where did I state that religion should be taught. Gimmie a freakin break dude, people say no gay stuff and people get their panties in a bind.

Yes, I read your posts. Your are advocating the use of religion in schools. I used the verb "taught" because in a school environment anything the children are exposed to is in essence "taught" to them.

Yakuza said:
Then I say why cant we have the freedom of expressing our faith in a reasonable way at school, and your like, lets burn this idot.

No, I said I found your view to be in contradiction to the laws and provision of this country which gives you the right to religious freedom. I would seriously suggest you do some research into the subject before supporting things like that.

Yakuza said:
If I wanna go to school and start a bible study at lunch or somthing, why cant I? If I wanna get a group of Christians together just before class starts, so we can pray why cant I?

I'm am not perfectly clear on the exact details of the laws in those two cases. I need to look up just where exactly the line is drawn before I could respond to that.

Yakuza said:
Not every one can afford to go to a "Christian School". And if we are going to look at it like that, why dont the homosexuals go somewhere were homosexuality is accepted, Like Canada ;)

You know why? Because luckily we live in a free country that does accept them. Or would you prefer that everyone who disagreed with your view of the world leave the country?

othello said:
imo, there is more evidence supporting the theory of creation then there is the 'big-bang theory' (which has been disproven by some) and the theory that the world has been around for millions and billions of years (essentially based off carbon-dating, which has been proven completely inaccurate).

i believe any theory, religious or not, should be given equal air-time in class... if it isnt, and you ban a theory because its founded in a religion, is that not religious discrimination?

Please look into evolutionary theory and the history of the world a bit more. You don't have your facts very straight when it comes to the science supporting the age of the Earth and the carbon dating process.

I'm am not perfectly clear on the exact details of the laws in those two cases
Most schools have bible studies
Tuesday we had a prayer meating
And wednesday was worship music
This teacher lets us do it in his class
Durring lunch, its done by the FCA
A christian club group thingy
The teacher is chrisitan

Neutrino said:
Please look into evolutionary theory and the history of the world a bit more. You don't have your facts very straight when it comes to the science supporting the age of the Earth and the carbon dating process.

i have read enough to know that carbon-dating is one essential factor what 'proves' our world to be millions of years old... and tht it has been proven to be completely inaccurate. that, in and of itself, is enough to question the entire theory as a whole.

CptStern said:

considering all the fossil records indicate this, writings from ancient civilizations indicate this, etc... i find it much more plausible than the ridiculous notion that the earth has been around for 65 billion years or so. do you realize how silly, not to mention impossible, it sounds that the earth was just a random occurence of an inordinant amount of circumstancial coincedences?

othello said:
i have read enough to know that carbon-dating is one essential factor what 'proves' our world to be millions of years old... and tht it has been proven to be completely inaccurate. that, in and of itself, is enough to question the entire theory as a whole.
.. uh huh.. and how big a role in evolutionary biology do you think carbon dating plays? not that much really. carbon radioisotopes half-lives are much to short to be used in 99.9% of paleobiology. but i'm sure you'd reject any form of radiometric dating anyway :rolleyes:

but that's cool.. i'm sure you read somewhere about all of the short comings of radiometric dating.. i, on the other hand, have actually performed radiometric dating. experience is a wonderful thing, look into it. knowing is only half the battle.
othello said:
considering all the fossil records indicate this, writings from ancient civilizations indicate this, etc... i find it much more plausible than the ridiculous notion that the earth has been around for 65 billion years or so. do you realize how silly, not to mention impossible, it sounds that the earth was just a random occurence of an inordinant amount of circumstancial coincedences?
well, it's clear that you know what you are talking about.. 65 billion? that's older than the universe.. it's more like 5 billion for the solar system (earth). are you thinking 65 million perhaps? the k-t extinction of the dinosaurs? but don't let me correct you, you know what you're talking about, that much is clear.

:stare: i always beat you neutrino, who is your father? :)

othello said:

Wow, like I said please get your facts straight.

You talk a lot about all the "research" you do, but it's quite obvious that you haven't done much real research into this subject. You're really losing credibility by the second here.

By the way, the Earth is approximately around 4.5 billion years old. You're only off by about 60 billion years. Nice try though.

Edit: dang beat me to it Timmy.

othello said:

ummmmmm the milky way galaxy is aprox 13.6 billion years old, the earth is 4.6 billion years old

there is abundant scientific proof of the age of the earth. There is not a shred of evidence that points to the earth being 10,000 years

edit: doh the both of you beat me by a long shot ...note to self: hit submit button before going to can

The Cartwheel Galaxy is approximately 500 million lightyears away. During the latter quarter of the 20th century, humans, from America and also Europe, built a telescope which took a picture of this galaxy, among many other wondrous things.

Religious folks need perspective.

KidRock said:
Sry if the truth hurts u.

What? What kind of response was that? I was pointing out how incredibly weak your post was. Your posts are, in general, quite pathetic.

othello said:
i agree, and i never said that. what i said is that we wouldnt be at war, without congressional approval. sure we wouldve invaded and used our military force through the presidential power you mentioned, im not contesting that. saying 'bush sent us to war' is just as naive... there was a lot more to it than that.

btw, wheres your disdain for clinton and serbia, bosnia, somalia, haiti, yugoslavia, kosovo etc? ;(

First: I fully supported Clinton for those. All required the atttention they recieved.

Second: You stated that we were sent to war with the Senates approval, which I will again state is false.

Third: Saying "Bush sent us to war" is FAR FAR from naive. Bush called for war, and he used the 60 days power to every extent he could. Don't even try and sway that, it's like moving a mountain.

qckbeam said:
What? What kind of response was that? I was pointing out how incredibly weak your post was. Your posts are, in general, quite pathetic.

Well I think you are, in general, quite pathetic.

I don't want to keep on about this, but Othello, please adress the point I've been trying to bring to your attention in my last few posts. You created this thread asking us to give you reasons why you shouldn't vote for Bush... I've presented what I think is an incredibly important point, and you seem to be avoiding it.

To make things easier, here are some quotes:
Logic said:
.... blah blah.....
So.... do you believe in multiculturalism? If not, isn't cultural and religious freedom one of the fundamental parts of the American constitution? (I don't claim to know the constitution, but as far as I know, it is) And furthermore, aren't those freedoms basic human rights?
othello said:
yes i do believe in multiculturalism. the constitution guarantees all men the right to follow whatever religion they choose. nothing is infringing upon that right.
Logic said:
If you do believe in multiculturalism, and rights to cultural beliefs, then why do you support legal enforcement of a cultural belief?

Yes, marriage does have legal\financial aspects and consequences, but legally, a gay marriage would be no different to a normal marriage - it is still the union of two people, so all financial and legal concerns would be treated in the exact same way, since law does not, and should not, favor (or discriminate against) males or females. Since there would therefore be no legal difference between a homosexual marriage and a heterosexual one, the ONLY difference resides in cultural beliefs - in this case christian tradition. And if christian tradition is being enforced by law, then the constitutional and basic human rights to freedom of religion and culture are being violated.

And that's my point. You're welcome to be disgusted by homosexuality, and you are of course entitled to the opinion that gay marriage isn't right, but such a viewpoint can not be enforced by law without violating rights every human is entitled to.
Logic said:
Othello, you didn't respond directly to my reply on page 21.. how can you support a leader who is happy to put laws into place that violate human rights and the constitution? It demonstrates that he is either too stupid to understand either of those things, or he is willing to violate them in order to enforce his religious views on his country. Either of those possibilities are more than enough reason to vote against Bush.

Edit: And just to clarify, I'm not fighting for gay rights because I am gay myself (I'm not), so don't say that my disagreement with bush on the issue is only a reason for someone with my views to vote against him. My point is about fighting for the freedoms that are garanteed to everyone, regardless of whether or not you like how certain individuals use that freedom. Anyone who wants the constitution and human rights to be upheld should be voting against Bush.

Lil' Timmy said:
the level of discourse in this thread is surprisingly high :D
Only "surprisingly" high? By the 27th page? Are you kidding? This is almost impossible. Pinch me... this has to be a weird dream sequence. :eek: :rolling:

When will you guys realize? Space is just a giant skybox. It extends out a small ways, then just STOPS. Unless you have noclip on.

All that stuff out there beyond pluto is just an incredibly detailed skybox, with several billions x several billions resolution bumpmaps. Duh!

... Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

;( (tear in the eye reading that)

if everyone thought like this, there would be no small minded people left on the planet, and just that stream of thought would most likely make the world a much more pieceful joyful place.

One day everyone will wake up and realise this , hopefully when we create some abundance, or better still when people quit acting like apes stuck in the past, and buck their idea's up.

because I for one want to explore it one day, and not get stuck in a downward spiral of self petulance and greed , ... to reitorate. this is our home, not the house you live in... or country.. the earth.

Everyone.. :) think big, its about time.

clarky003 said:
;( (tear in the eye reading that)

if everyone thought like this, there would be no small minded people left on the planet, and just that stream of thought would most likely make the world a much more pieceful joyful place.

One day everyone will wake up and realise this , hopefully when we create some abundance, or better still when people quit acting like apes stuck in the past, and buck their idea's up.

because I for one want to explore it one day, and not get stuck in a downward spiral of self petulance and greed , ... to reitorate. this is our home, not the house you live in... or country.. the earth.

Everyone.. :) think big, its about time.

On that, we can agree.
:cheers:

You're not nearly as helpful
As your avatar makes you seem

Back