Gman in Ep2 (spoilers perhaps?)

SpotEnemyBoats

Companion Cube
Reaction score
In Gman's speech to Gordon in Episode 2, he mentions Dr. Breen -"I learned to ignore such naysayers when quelling them, was out of the question.", and a picture is seen of Dr. Breen for a split second (that made me shit bricks).
This kind of tells me that Dr. Breen is dead. This probably silences those little theories that he's has a new host Advisor body, Gman or the Vortigaunts have him some where.
I didn't know until I looked at wikipedia, because even playing Episode 2 without learning it doesn't hint me.

Well, it's just my little assumption. :)

I already knew he was dead. He isn't even mentioned in Episode Two. Almost worse then poor old Barney.

A picture flashes of him? I didn't notice! Anyone got a screen?

A picture flashes of him? I didn't notice! Anyone got a screen?

Ep2_outland_020013.jpg

Slightly clearer..

Breen.jpg

You can distinguish his sport coat and turtleneck, along with some of his mustache.

Attachments

• Breen.jpg
    Breen.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 231
Wow, you right, but how did anyone see that without pausing there game JUST at the right second...and i wonder what this has to do with the storyline

I saw it when I first played it, and yet just now in the youtube video above I had to watch it 3 times because I literally blinked when it happened
I think it supports breen returning more than it discounts it... quelling them was out of the question!

Meh. I'm not really convinced. Yeah, it could look kinda like Breen if you looked at it hard enough, but it also could just be random static. Not sure if it's worth an email to Valve, but who knows.

However, if it is Breen, I'm not seeing that line as an indication of his death. If anything, it would sound like he's alive and possibly making a return. But it's too ambiguous to confirm either scenario.

Here ya go:

breen.jpg

All I did was stretch it vertically and fixed some of the horizontal "fractures".. No blending at all.
Looks like breen to me..

God when did we become such dorks..

I'll do a full screen version later, its freekin early.

Heres the Wiki image for reference:
DrWallaceBreenHL2.jpg

Okay yeah, now I definitely see him.

Very interesting.

Nice work there attorney general, I wasn't too convinced until saw that.

I do hope we see Breen again though, he is such a great character.

Hmm... My skepticism is creeping back in again. D:

It's definitely Breen. But I question if it has any significance. That texture could have been something they just reused from before. When City 17 was buckled down in battle in HL2, Breen screens were yanked down, a few were glitching out, etc... It's entirely possible that they just used the same effect here again, figuring nobody would notice.

This deflates me somewhat, so I hope I'm wrong here. I'd love it if this was some secretive foreshadowing of Breen's return to the game.

It's the exact same image as the flashing, broken monitor in Water Hazard from the looks of it. However, it's only the split 'Breen' image that's shown, and although I'm slightly skeptical there's a couple things validating this theory.

First, I'm pretty sure that Gman scene have went through a ton of editing and going over. Could Valve miss something like that? Also, Valve have been so damn coy about Breen's fate, and it feels so pointless to feed us "NEXT QUESTION K." everytime he's brought if he is in fact no longer part of the ongoing storyline.

At the time of showing we're being brought into this developing storyline of a relationship between Gman and Eli and the role the former played in the events of Black Mesa. There's still the “The Administrator is very concerned we get a bla bla of this sample.” “Some lengths to get it.” Yet we now know Gman brought it in and that it's a crystal from Nihilanth's chamber (“He is not a man.” etc). And Eli still has “so much to tell.” us, and if anything he's always been so much more loathing of Breen than anyone else.

I think there's definitely more to tell here, and that Breen has a part in it. Mention of naysayers, Breen's face and Gman “plucking people” is perhaps slightly too coincidental?

Can someone just remind me what a naysayer is again.

A cynic. Or a pessimist.

I've been thinking. Maybe Valve will bring Breen full circle and reintroduce him as a talking head in a jar.

Whats the significance of the showing of the Borealis hull anyway during that sequence.

Pretty sure Mossman isn't inside the Borealis when she makes that transmission.

I think it will be nice when we meet "Consul" he will be a nice addition to plot. For me he could tell us a lot about advisors [my thinks bout him]Someone who communicate witch advisors and he survive[/my thinks bout him]He is from oold HL2 vids

Attachments

• consul001.jpg
    consul001.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 234
Uhh...

That's an old version of Breen. He went through many iterations during development.

Back